Universal PPSSPP - PSP Emulator (by Henrik Rydgård)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 15, 2024.

1. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
  2. RealisticArcadeSimulator

RealisticArcadeSimulator Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2018
    I would like to see for myself how does the famously hard to emulate Motorstorm: Arctic Edge perform before I spend money. Sorry, I've been burned before.

3. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#43 sebgo, Jun 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    Try RetroArch. It comes with a PPSSPP core, so it should work. Performance mostly comes down to the device you have.

Edit: Gave it a go on PPSSPP. I don't know if it's normal, but it looks over exposed in some areas, like it's too white. I only played the first event and had no performance issues on my iPotato (iPhone 8), although gotta keep in mind I changed some settings to reduce visual quality (it's good enough for me, though) in order to avoid slowdown in some games.

IMG_1695.png
    IMG_1696.png

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA

I don’t see much of a difference.

5. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Yeah, not much. But some areas looked extremely white for me, like they were all covered with more snow than can be seen in that YouTube video. Nothing serious, though and the game is fairly playable. I was just giving it a go for Arcade's interest.

I liked the soundtrack in that game.

6. RealisticArcadeSimulator

RealisticArcadeSimulator Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2018
    #46 RealisticArcadeSimulator, Jun 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Hey, thanks for giving this one a go. I'll try what this emulator can do on m1 if I get some free time in the coming week. There should be a cheat fix for the overbloom you see ingame here if you wanna keep playing:

https://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=22787

And on the topic of how to use cheats (text by Rekrul from ppsspp forum):

"Since that thread doesn't include instructions for how to use the cheats, here's what you have to do;

First, run PPSSPP, go into the Settings, click on System on the left, scroll down and check Enable Cheats.

Next run your copy of Motorstorm, then quit the game.

Now, find your copy of PPSSPP's memstick directory.

If you downloaded a zipped copy and just unzipped it, it will be in the program's directory as;

memstick\PSP\

If you downloaded the installer, then it's probably in;

%userprofile%\My Documents\PPSSPP\PSP\

There should now be a new directory in there called Cheats and inside that should be an INI file with the game ID, such as UCES01250.ini for the European version. Open that file in a text editor (Notepad, etc) and paste in the cheats that you want to use. Make sure that you use the cheats that match your version of the game. Save the file.

Run Motorstorm again, press ESC to go back to the main menu and click on Cheats. You will be able to toggle individual cheats on/off."

squarezero and sebgo like this.
  7. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Somehow this update made games that have previously not even load work perfectly.

sebgo likes this.
  8. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I think that's exactly what it's for. Haha

When I saw the initial release had no Vulkan support, I was a bit worried. Surprisingly, I didn't experience any major issue (my go-to game would start stuttering a bit after a while, but nothing else, and it could be fixed by closing the app and continuing).

I had a busy day today, for a change, so I haven't checked it yet. I'll give it a go in a few hours and hope performance is even better.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    By way of comparison, Motorstorm runs at 15-20 FPS on my Retroid Pocket 4 Pro (with Vulkan support). After the Metal update, the game runs at a steady 30 FPS on my iPhone 15 Pro.

Since the RP4 can run GameCube and PS2 games with decent performance, I’m wondering if a Metal-supporting iOS version of Dolphin could get GameCube games running decently.

Unfortunately, PS2 emulation on mobile is kind of done after Sony killed AetherSX2.

10. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#51 sebgo, Jun 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    So, it's safe to assume the game is meant to run at 30 fps, since I'm pretty sure that beast of a device is capable of making it run at least @90fps. Haha

I think it wouldn't make a difference. As far as I know, it had already included some sort of Metal support when it was still called [for me] "Dolphinios" (I recently learned it's now referred to as "iDolphin"). The key still lies in JIT, I assume, given the GameCube and iDevices' processors differences.

Edit: Nvm, the one with a Metal backend is the MacOS version, which is by same developers as the original Dolphin emulator (Dolphinios/iDolphin is a port by a separate team, Oatmealdome).

I don't know if they're related or maybe the same, but for PS2 there's "Play!" (I remember their Cydia repository had "purei" in it), which is included in Provenance, available for sideloading through AltStore, in a beta(?) state.

I just had dinner. I'm ready to give PPSSPP a go.

squarezero likes this.