Universal PPSSPP - PSP Emulator (by Henrik Rydgård)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 15, 2024.

1. Hulkino

Hulkino Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I tried TDU on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and the result is quite bad, just a little more than 20FPS on the streets at 1X resolution, no AA. Different results for Ridge Racer (60FPS all the time) and Out Run 2006 (from 30 to 60FPS). I also tested GOW Ghost of Sparta but it’s completely unplayable.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    TDU without the .INI archive in the cheats folder is crap, doesn’t work at more than 3-4fps , but with the correct archive it’s awesome. You need to search for ULES00637.ini in Google and click on the PPSSPP forums link that appears at the top (something like “60fps patches for 30fps games”). There, you will have the cheat code for the European version of the game (the one I tell you) and the US version of the game. You just have to make/download the .INI archive and put it in the cheats folder. Then you need to activate cheats for the game in PPSSPP settings. I know the European version works great.

EDIT: here, a quick video I just made with my phone so that you can check performance:

anthony78, sebgo and Hulkino like this.
  3. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It has a gold icon too, I have it on Android. If I use it a lot here on iOS, I’ll probably get it here too :)

4. Hulkino

Hulkino Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Great! Thanks!

5. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    So i figured out how to uncompress the zip files directly on iPad using the files app for the emulator games I use website called late night it works fairly well

VirtualBoyFreak likes this.
  6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thought with zip files you just double tap them in files to unzip them ?

7. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#27 sebgo, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 18, 2024
    Although I'm fairly sure it was an autocorrect typo or name mixup, I think, or almost know for certain, Agr wasn't talking about a website to unzip files but for...

As a side note, I recommend you use CISO-XP on your PCs in order to compress your ISO files so that games don't use as much storage. The .CSO extension is also compatible with PPSSPP and it works perfect. Some games actually take less than half their original ISO size, so that's a plus.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I remember compressing my .ISO files, but I sometimes got problems with that: fps were inconsistent sometimes. It was long ago tho, so maybe the compression process or the emulator have improved.

9. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I think the devices have improved, since I've had the same compressor .exe file for years. I remember having slight slowdown issues on the real hardware, about 15+ years ago, but on my formerly jailbroken phones I didn't experience any performance issues with PPSSPP; now I sometimes have slowdowns with it, or some games are unplayable on my old device, though, since the AppStore build isn't JIT/Vulkan supported, but that's a different problem.

10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Test Drive Unlimited runs great with the ini file / cheat but I’m finding steering to be difficult and not responsive enough even using a Backbone controller on my iPhone 15 Max Pro Max.

All the other games I’ve tried are awesome, including other racers. Sweet to have this on iOS!

VirtualBoyFreak and squarezero like this.
  11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I use a Shaks s5i MFi gamepad and haven’t had any issues with TDU. It’s as (un)responsive as it’s always been. FWIW, steering has always been very peculiar in this game imo, but I’ve played it to 100% completion on PSP and later on PPSSPP Android using the INI file and steering felt the same in both.

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the heads up. I’ll give the ISO compression a try then.

sebgo likes this.
  13. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Let us (me) know if you find any issues, anyway. Although I'm fairly positive you won't come across any.

14. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    Started Persona 3 Portable. Got to a name entry dialog. It says “Start to End,” but Start doesn’t do anything.
    I assume it’s some kind of binding quirk. Any ideas?
    IMG_7293.png

15. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I'll check if I get the same problem later today and report. I remember "playing it" in previous versions, so I'd expect it to work without issues by now.

For now, I'll assume the game doesn't like cake or pie ("Pastel", in Spanish).

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You need to do first and last name before Start becomes active. Use the R button to move to the second line — you’ll see the instructions change to “Enter your last name.”

Roxton likes this.
  17. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
  18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    sebgo likes this.