Universal Powerpuff Girls: Defenders of Townsville (by Turner Broadcasting System)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I got my daughter into the show some time ago when they released all seasons onto DVD, she spotted it on my iPad App Store and it was an instant purchase.

I will say though I didn't expect much from the game and was a bit hesitant to drop $4 on it but after watching her play and trying it myself it is really well put together. What a surprise this one is.

2. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Wow, what an amazing game. It blends Shadow Complex (from Xbox arcade) with PPG's style to amazing results. Like everyone has said, fantastic controls (yes, especially with MFi!!), great depth of play due to the need to explore, and great sounds/visuals. $4 is a no brainer.

3. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    Hi ibMurph. It doesn't run that well on a 4. IPhone 4S and above is recommended.

Wish I had a different answer, sorry.

Luke
    Radiangames (developer of the game)

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Did you actually play it?

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Don't pay too much attention, check his post history... :rolleyes:

6. MMAforMoney

MMAforMoney Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Any screenshots of the contrast between the two different art styles? Curious to see the differences...

7. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Would have been great to fight in the city (outside) instead of indoor, the game looks good but the level design looks a bit too empty, hopefully I am wrong

8. ElPumo

ElPumo Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Author
    Harrisburg, PA
    Can play as Buttercup and voice acting? Not really a Shump fan but will have to get this.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's just the characters, and mainly their heads... And I'm on my phone so I can't upload two pics at the same time (they're both named 'image' and one just replaces the other), but here's classic

Attached Files:

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    And here's modern

Attached Files:

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    K... Has anyone been able to get this room cleared in the Key challenge? I've been trying for days, but I can't get the enemies to fall down far enough before exploding to hit whatever's left at the bottom, and if I go in at the bottom, there's that missile launcher at the top of the room that's impossible to destroy from the lower angels.

Attached Files:

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    If this is directed at me...

That's not the issue here. You have to beat the game to get to the Key challenge, so yes, I know that you can switch between characters and that each has their own special shot type.

But there's still no way to get through large yellow beams/doors (unless you destroy the 'lock', but there aren't any in this room), so I'm finding it impossible to 100% clear the room because of the design and where the enemies are. I'm sure there's a way, but it must involve quite a bit of skill (quite a bit more so than was needed to beat both modes of the game, I've 100% completed the Defenders Of Townsville mode, I'm just trying to 100% the Key mode, I'm stuck at 99.3%) or it's something so ridiculously easy that I'm not seeing it...

If this wasn't directed at me, and you were just making a statement... I'm sorry.

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It actually does change the appearance of everything but it's pretty subtle for the backgrounds. The classic backgrounds have a tiny bit less detail and just look more "cartoony" for lack of a better way to explain. The difference is most noticeable with the girls and the robots. I'll try to post some screenshots later.

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha, guess my eyes aren't what they use to be...

15. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    Use Buttercup's charge shot to clear the missile launcher from below. Sorry I didn't make this room easier to clear. Clearing it doesn't get you anything (though I understand wanting too).

Luke

16. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    #76 Darth Nihilus, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    This game is a fun surprise, the difficulty ramps up gradually, I'm on hard and with the fastest speed and it's quite fun to play, not super difficult, just enough to be fun and the powers are also fun to use.

This is what a superhero game SHOULD be, this is WAY better than the X-men one.

The visuals aren't the best and don't really do a good job in translating the look of the cartoon ( I always choose classic) but they get the job done.

Gimme HD grapheckz and no fun grumble grumble!!! Gimme endlezz runnahs! Gimme on reelz shootahs

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Trolls gonna troll... Whatcha gonna do...

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha, thanks!! That was a lot easier than trying to deflect missiles back up there. =oP

And I know it didn't unlock anything, I was just SO close to having my save say '100%'... It was a little upsetting. Hehe.

I tried to beat the game on hardcore with only 5 saves, but got to the third boss without saving after the original save at the beginning. Really should have saved... Lol... But I WILL 100% these achievements!!

19. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    It's very metroidvania-esque, if you deny that, you don't know two turds about games, I even doubt you've ever heard the term metroidvania by the spasmodic nature of your reply.

This IS fun to people whose fun boxes aren't broken and replaced with a black void of jaded cynicism and despair.

"A lower limit"... this is FAR from that lower limit, but I see you're more comfortable with precooked dual stick shooters, no surprise you don't even know what quality or fun is anymore.

You must love match-3 games.

No wonder why the appstore seldom sees fun games at all, if this how the "average joe" reacts to fun.

20. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    #80 bigjack66, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    I've never played match three games in my life. They're dull too. It's not the gameplay I have a problem with I like loads of different styles of games it's the low rent graphical style I've a problem with I like old style games and new ones I like fun games too. Anyway just letting off steam! A good rant gets stuff off your chest! We can agree to disagree. I guess I just don't like powerpuff girls being an old man and all that but I still play games and read comics so I can't be all bad. It's like modern music I've heard it all before and am looking for something new same with games. It's not the style of gameplay I find annoying it's that it just looks so basic! There's nothing going on that's what's annoying. I know there's games I won't ill I leave them alone and don't comment it's just this looked so poor quality and was game of the week I wasn't expecting something like God of fire because it's got its problems too. I guess I just expect a bit more. And anyway Powerpuff girls? Really!? It's not the gameplay style I have a problem with it's the excessively basic style of this particular game!