iPad Powerboat Challenge out now- any good?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wastedyuthe, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Here's the link. Does anyone know if this is any good? From the screenshots it looks great! Not bad price either at £2.39/$4

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    just played it a little. is a well done game. feels like it has some depth to it, like a gameloft game. unlockables, you earn money to boost your ship.

accelerometer racing, and you have to go around bouys. The closer you get to the bouys the better, and you get speed boost credit. If you miss 3 bouys you are out of the race

arn

3. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    looks pretty good. I'll bite, but I gotta wait til I get home. spotty wifi here at work

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just bought noise.io for $9.99 because I figured no good games would arrive soon. That was about two minutes before this came out. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to limit the amount on my iTunes receipts.

5. #5 wastedyuthe, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks for your replies so far. I am assuming it is arcade racing rather than simulation right? Does it actually handle like you are racing a speedboat (ie only being able to turn while accelerating)? Are there waves or is the water flat?

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    in the first few tracks I tried, the water was flat. and there is no acceleration. just regular going forward and the "boost".

it's an arcade experience.

arn

7. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Looks like a solid game. Might need to review it. :)

8. Thanks Arn- might get this.

9. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Not Bad...

Okay... so it's not HydroThunder (sigh), but the game is pretty decent. I went through a few races and had a good time with it. The graphics are good and with updates there's always hope things will get better.

The only thing really missing for me on the first few go arounds was a little map of the track so you know what is coming up and a way to know how close the other racers are to you. In one race I got ahead very early and had no idea how far behind the others were. Knowing someone is right behind you gives the added pressure factor that games like this need.

But all in all not a bad game. I know I'll kick myself when it gets that little price drop, but I'm sure I'll get my $4 out of it.

10. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I just noticed this and went and watched the gameplay video on their website and it looks good, although the video is for the previous mobile version ( http://www.fishlabs.net/en/mobile-games/racing-games/powerboat-challenge )

Im not too excited about boat racing, but I saw this on their site ( http://www.fishlabs.net/en/mobile-games/action-games/galaxy-on-fire ) and I really hope they port it over. It looks awesome, graphics are sweet (even for below iPhone quality) and its a;ready been reviewed really well. Here's hoping they port it over.

Honestly all their games look great and a step above most of whats on the iPhone right now.

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    How does it compare to Wave Race? (one of my fave games ever)

12. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    you cannot compare this game with wave race.

it has no waves (so far).....and you are driving a speedboat, where waves would be somewhat unfortunate.

wave race is one of my favorites as well (i still have the n64 because of this) but how would you steer on an iphone? especially with all the small adjustments to your course, which are absolutely necessary in wave race.

13. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    yeah, nothing like wave race. the boats feel much slower and less maneuverable, and the water physics are entirely different.

14. signed sealed saint

signed sealed saint Active Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Reminds me of waverace for the N64 and Gamecube. I had the GC version and it was great, hopefully this is nearly as good.

Edit: oops, didn't see page 2

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Ugh I really miss Wave Race.. It was just soooo good! I remember playing it on emulator while listening to my own music, surfing around... amazing experience!!

Sega, can we have it as our xmas pressie pls?

16. signed sealed saint

signed sealed saint Active Member

Oct 26, 2008
    What does everyone else think of the game?

17. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    It's a great game but there are a few things that could need fixing:

1. Looooong load times

2. When the soundtrack is looped there is a MASSIVE frame rate drop.

3. In elimination the "eliminated" boats just sit at the finish line blocking the way. I think it would be better if they disappeared.

18. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

i saw it yesterday, while looking through itunes (again). Thought, I'll give it a try. I like the graphics. But, it feels a little bit slow. And, the boost is only for a short while. You can opt to use the accelerometer or by tappin the screen to control. I rather prefer tappin but since it's the iPhone why not use the acce right? In all great boat racin fun. Wish I can shoot something along the way though. LoL.

19. WolfgangK

WolfgangK Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I second the comments spewing love for Wave Race 64. Probably my top one or two games of all time.

And I know many others obviously have a similar affinity for it; which is why I am so astounded that very few developers have attempted to capture the same magic, even Nintendo.

The iPhone/Touch platform would be ideal for this kind of game, fluid motion, waves/water physics...it's a no brainer. If I had a competent Wave Race clone, I don't think I'd need any other apps. Seriously.

20. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Price drop!

$5.99 -> $3.99