iPad Powerboat Challenge now 99 cents.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Billhouse, Jan 19, 2009.

1. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #2 salsamd, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    Comparisons

Wave Blazer

Aqua Moto Racing (soon to be released)

[hqyoutube]8IcSk46cGKI[/hqyoutube]

2. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    This was one of my most regretted purchases, I think it was 3.99

3. Chang3r

Chang3r Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Agreed

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The thing is that FishLabs makes what should be fantastic playing games...but all the little mistakes they make take away from enjoyment.

No screen flip option, no option to set accelerometer sensitivity, no manual acceleration (and on this last point a rep from their company had the audacity to state auto acceleration is the preferred method, so that's why they don't even have it as an option for the rest of us).

Oh, and not optimizing their games for the platform. There's no reason a "level of detail" option should be there. This isn't PC development with vastly different GPUs and set ups. For the most part the platform is the same across all SKUs. Yes, the CPU in the 2nd gen iTouch has a faster clockspeed, but the fact is in terms of RAM, GPU and CPU they all have largely the same exact components. If such an option to change graphics settings were in a PSP or DS game, we'd be right in calling the dev lazy. Same kind of deal on the iTouch/Phone platform. No reason a little lens flare and a few dirt and/or water effects should slow the games down that much.

5. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Just bought it - can't be all that worse than Waveblazer

6. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    #7 RM imagery, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    Can't we just get an updated Hydro Thunder port from Sega?!

This site rocks. I love how u guys add the vids (and quick too!!)

7. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I was expecting a lot out of this game when I purchased it for $4. I think I expected too much, because it was nothing that I was planning it'd be like. I thought it'd at least be fun, but it's just so slow paced... that it's not. :p

Yeah, it's on sale for $1 and that appears to be an amazing deal, but trust me on this one - Just don't buy it. Instead, I recommend you check out Bomber Online. It's much more fun than Powerboat Challenge, but with the same price. :)

8. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    they must know about the other game coming out that's on the main page... Jet Ski Racer.... that game looks so good i don't know who will choose any other water race game instead..

9. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Powerboat is a pretty good game, especially for the price. The graphics are neat and there are a number of levels. It's definitely better than Wave Blazer.