Universal Power Hover (by Oddrok Oy)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Oddrok

Oddrok Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2015
    This happened today: Power Hover is featured by Apple in over 50 countries! 15 main banners and counting! Tomorrow we will know the exact number once the statistics catch up. This is amazingly stupefying! :eek: :eek: :eek:

This post really warms our heart :D especially the bolded parts. Thank you.

2. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Oooo I hadn't had a chance to play past the first few levels.

Hell yeah! Now I'm looking forward to the boss fights. I'm getting more play time tonight :)

Billy

3. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    No it's not. By the second level anyone that plays the game will see it's something special. I know because I did. By the end of the second level I already said this game was worth the money.

Billy

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #44 VirtualBoyFreak, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    This, all the opinions and the fact that it works on my 4S made me buy it. Installing now. Let's see what the hype is all about ;) EDIT: amazing! I'm loving the game. Played the first few levels and I love the style and the game simplicity and complexity at the same time. Controls are spot on. In fact, if they were simple left/right without inertia, it wouldn't be the same :cool: now to get some sleep. I've already lost an hour worth of sleep with this fantastic game :)

5. foodgoodyes

foodgoodyes New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I've fallen into lurker-dom for years now, but thought that I'd stop in to contribute to the conversation on this one. The game looks fantastic! Nice minimalist look, captures a desert vibe similar to Monument Valley or Journey. I bought it based on the screenshots alone.

Jumping on the conversation regarding control lag, I find myself on the negative side of things. The controls certainly react immediately to my choices, but they're so floaty that I can't make any major directional change with the accuracy that I'd like. It may have been an intentional design choice, but I find that it makes the game frustrating to play. If the game ran at a faster speed, perhaps the floaty controls would feel more natural, as it would feel like the struggle to change direction was a result of altering my forward inertia. In a perfect world, I'd appreciate an alternate speed option that ran faster and had tighter controls, but of course this is just my personal opinion.

Another dream addition would be a trick counter or point system for tricks performed when going over jumps. It's super satisfying to fly off a jump and perform a cool trick, but if I could rack up points for performing tricky maneuvers in the air using swipes, I can only imagine how satisfying that would be.

Just some player feedback; you guys did great on this game, and I'm looking forward to playing the game even more this evening!

6. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Not much I can add to the thread that already hasn't been mentioned. I just had to comment how fricken beautiful this game is. The more you play it, the better it gets. I went in expecting just a pretty endless hoverer?, but it's so much more than that. Really good job by the dev team.

7. foodgoodyes

foodgoodyes New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Upon further play, I've found that the floaty physics are actually manageable as time goes on. The environments become very engaging as well. I think I may have a new addiction!

8. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Just completed all of the levels in this awesome game, I just need to go back and 3-star everything. This game is truly something special, and I absolutely cannot wait for the new content update! Congrats on the premium App Store real estate, it certainly deserves it!

And for anyone who is still on the electrical fence about buying it, just frickin do it already. You will not be disappointed!

9. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Yes I second that buy it now if you are still on the fence and its a wonderful game

10. Oddrok

Oddrok Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2015
    First I was stupefied about the above post, then I realized what you meant, Thank you :)

Update on the Apple featuring: Power Hover is apparently now featured in 146 countries! And we are still amazed!

Apple has really built something special here, that even a small studio like us can receive the same visibility as the bigger developers.

11. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Great to hear, I wish you good luck!
    You deserve it guys, it's a super game!
    So, to bribe them with a copy of the game seemed to work. ;)

12. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i'm in love with this creation.

13. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #53 anthony78, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    I pretty much had my mind set on Air Attack 2 for GoTW, but man I don't know any more. This game is amazing! So much fun, beautiful and lots of diverse tracks.

I'd love to see an endless mode added to this someday maybe randomly generated with transitions to different areas. That would put this over the top of one of the best "runner" type games ever (I use that term loosely because this is much more than just a runner).

14. Ann0ying

Ann0ying Well-Known Member

This game is so beautiful it could use some "meditation mode" where you will just travel through changing environments without thinking too much about dodging obstacles. It's really, really good. A bit short, but very worth 4$.Thank you, devs.

15. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I'm really trying to like this game, but i simply don't dig the controls, damn.
    I consider my invested 80 minutes as a quite chunky bit of time and yet, here i stand in front of level 7 saying "more power needed".
    I got 15/18 batteries...

Game over. Already. No joke. Deleted. Pity.

16. Oddrok

Oddrok Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2015
    #56 Oddrok, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Sorry if you feel that way..

Did you notice that the batteries you collect from the levels actually turn into KWH in the end of each level, You can see the total KWH gained in the top right corner of the menu screen.

Use the gained energy to power up blacked out buildings in your village, then you will unlock the first boss level. You also gain upgrades from the powered buildings, which help you on your way.

Hopefully you give it another try.

17. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Hope you give it another try. The controls are purposely floaty IMO to give the feel of really surfing / hovering. If they were tighter, I think the game would lose a lot of what makes game feel so smooth and graceful.

The trick is to use small movements. Took me a bit of time to get used to them but I think they're perfect for this game.

Oddrok -- think there is a possibility of an endless mode down the line? Fantastic game and hope it sells well for you!

18. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    GOTY! Just hope a bunch of new levels are in the works.

19. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #59 LordShad0wz, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    I don't understand why people are having problems with the controls? Hell IM the first one to complain on controls and I'm having a blast with this game. Every level is just more awesome than the last!

I finally had time to play and made it to the first boss level. Now THAT is what I'm talking about. As I was playing I was all smiling. The lasers! The way the screen freaken starts twisting! It was awesome and intense and it appears procedurally generated which was perfect! It was awesome! It was a rush!

Then I loved the level with the sand worms! I thought I was in a damn Dune movie. I'm chasing the spice lol I was all smiles again!

Really I love this game. It makes you want to keep playing. And it makes you wonder what the next level will be like. I also really love how collecting the batteries let's you power up buildings in your village as you go which in turn give you perks. I have a continue, 1 persistent extra life, a battery magnet, and 2 buildings that generate additional extra lives from time to time. This was really well thought out.

If you are having trouble with the controls try using slight taps. If you lean to heavy in either direction you will get into trouble. Just use love taps. You gotta be gentle. Hehe

Billy

20. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Is this a game for easily irritatable perfectionists? I hope this one isnt too frsutrating. Missing one of those batteries would mean trying again for perfection's sake.