Universal Power Grounds (by Diego Cathalifaud)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 9, 2014.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While, to be honest, Amber Halls, with some neat mechanics, just didn't do it for me, THIS game seems a worthy addition to the hallowed halls of 868-Hack and Hoplite! 5/5

2. bcredonk

bcredonk Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Idk what your stance on this is yellowhat / diego but I would really like some music behind these games?

Probably tough to get good original music as a standalone developer but it would be nice.

3. Monkeybone

Monkeybone Member

Oct 31, 2013
    When i want to just beat the game without caring about my health or kills, i pick up dash-teleport or freeze-teleport combo

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I only have one complaint and it was the same issue I had with the previous versions: teleport shouldn't be random or at the very least should be less random. Every other power has a form of consistency. You always know how long enemies will be frozen, that shield always has X amount of uses, that lightning will only affect the tiles around you, etc. This consistency allows you to be strategic and plan ahead

But using teleport is a wild card. It could send you to a safe corner as easily as it could place you in the midst of enemies. You have no idea where you'll end up. I think that's a flaw regarding that ability compared to the others

Anyone else feel the same way or is it just me?

5. Esteb

Esteb Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Teleport isn't really that random. Actually it highlights where you will land if you use it, this is by "creating" a black square over the next teleport tile. You can know where you will land, but you can't control that. I don't know if I explain myself.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I never noticed that. Okay, disregard my other post

7. YellowHat

YellowHat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks!

Yes, I think I should start learning the basics of game music. I don't think I can afford buying third party music.

Yeah, it's never explained. I thought after a few runs the player would be able to notice it. Maybe it should be more shiny?

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm all for the addition of music AS LONG AS it can be disabled separate from sound. Since I'm often listening to podcasts as I play, I almost always disable the music in my games first thing (even if really good).

9. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    I don't think I'll add music to my existing games. I'm thinking of making music for my upcoming ones. But yes, in that case I will add options for muting sfx and/or music

10. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Unless you feel really passionate about it or think it will really change the game, leaving music out seems like the best option for a one man studio. I mean, if you just really want to learn to do it, then it would be a worthy use of time. I would hate to see time that could be devoted to creative game concepts lost to fighting with music.

Personally, I have my phone on silent 95% of the time anyway. I only turn sound on in games that have that "Best with Headphones" line pop up at the beginning, and even then only a fraction of the time.

Just my 2 cents, which probably isn't even worth that.

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wooo just got to 42. Forgot to check which wave again haha, I think it was 7 or 8

12. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    Hum, the thing is I've done some "music" in the past. I don't think it's good music but it is at least decent. I made the music for my game New Journey.

If I had to put music on a game again, I would do just the same... some very simple music. Or even just ambient sounds.

13. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    Nice! which spells did you pick?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm loving the Arena mode, but what the heck does the asterix do besides make the screen flash?

15. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Love this game! It could be nice to be able to keep any spells you had cast when moving into the next room....and would it be possible to show your arena high score in the achievements page?

16. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    It upgrades your next ability.

Thanks! I think keeping spell charges through levels would be a big buff to shields, and those spells are already good enough in my opinion.

Right now you can only check your scores in the game center app. I might add some in-game scores and leaderboards in the future.

17. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Power Grounds is awesome. I think maybe I like it even better than Amber Halls. Actually, I think they make a great pair to play and compare. Comparing the play mechanics of the two games is very instructive for anyone interested in game design. Small changes greatly affect the systems of play.

But I think I may have discovered a bug. Occasionally, after swiping a direction to move, my guy doesn't stop moving and takes a bunch of turns in rapid succession until he runs into a wall. Obviously, when this happens all strategy goes out the window. It could also be user error, perhaps I'm pressing somewhere on the screen unaware? Something to look into.

18. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    Yes, I am aware of that issue. I'm trying to fix it. It happens when your swipe begins inside of the CAST button.

You can tap the screen and the guy will stop moving.

19. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Cool. Now I know how to avoid it!

20. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Uhhh, most of them? I can't remember haha. This needs at least a local leaderboard or something