Universal Power DOS: x86 Emulator for iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    I tried speeding it up. It goes up to only 105%, but it does run better. Can I get it to go any higher? I think around 110 or 115 would be the speed I am looking for.

2. AlanBell68

AlanBell68 Member

Jul 6, 2013
    The file you would need to check/add the memory management files to is CONFIG.SYS in the root of C: the XXX would be whatever you were trying to load...
    Assuming you have a folder called DOS on C: and you had HIMEM.SYS in it...

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS

would go in the CONFIG.SYS file

Or if you were to be using EMM386.SYS, you would put

DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.SYS

but I think that that takes additional parameters. It has been way too many years :)

3. AlanBell68

AlanBell68 Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Although possible to get Windows 3.1 installed, I think running any games on top of that would be a stretch, probably not playable if able to run at all.

4. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    To be honest, I have no idea what you want me to do.

Ok, here, after I opened the Config.sys file in notepad, this is what it looks like:

[menu]menucolor=7,0menuitem=general,All Purpose w/o DOS CD-ROM Supportmenuitem=games,Games w/ DOS CD-ROM Supportmenudefault=general,5[common]break onswitches /f /wdevice=c:\windows\himem.sysdevice=c:\windows\emm386.exe RAM x=c000-c7ffdos=high,umbfiles=40[general][games]lastdrive=z[common]

What should it look like?

5. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    I'm sorry if I am being a pain. I just have almost no knowledge of the technical aspect of computers.

I really do appreciate you trying to help me. I really do.

6. AlanBell68

AlanBell68 Member

Jul 6, 2013
    It looks like you have the HIMEM.SYS line in there and the other memory management drivers too. It also looks like DOS is being loaded high to free more memory for other applications.

All of the things I was suggesting appear to be in place already.

On the Windows 3.1 topic, you might want to check this site out...

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770

I managed to get this working last night without any of the headaches of going through an install. It works, though a little sluggish, which is how I remember it being under iDOS.

7. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    Sadly, I think I am giving up. I can't seem to make any game (other than extremely simple ones like Minesweeper) run at a decent rate. I've tried SimCity 2000, Populous, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Outpost through Windows 3.1, various Lucas Arts adventure games, various Sierra adventure games, and even NES and SNES emulators. I don't know why this thing won't work. My iPad 2 is more advanced and faster than my really old PCs that I used to run these games on.

Thanks for trying to help, but I think I am just going to just stick this dos thing into some corner of my iPad and forget about it.

:(

8. cuavsfan

cuavsfan Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Is there an option to make it so that the mouse only registers a click when you tap a specific onscreen button as opposed to when you tap anywhere on the screen?

Longer version:
    I've got iDOS and iDOS 2 (downloaded from Japan iTunes store). In iDOS I was able to get some old games working great. My only issue is that the touch mouse is finicky, and it often registers clicks when I am just trying to move the mouse. Sadly iDOS lacks an option to disable tap to click. If you could make it so a click only registered when the overlay mouse button icons were clicked it'd be perfect. It sounds like there are a few small differences between this app and iDOS, but reading through whole thread I didn't see anything talking about touch control. If that one thing is different I'll grab this in an instant, but I'm hoping somebody can let me know if it's worth getting this and going through all of the setup again.

Thanks!!

9. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    A noob question. There had been a few DOS emulators in the iTunes Store, except this one has not yet pulled, any reason why I should get this one? Wing Commander 2, System Shock, oh mine...

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #130 psj3809, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    I've got a few dos emulators but as this ones not been pulled its good to see updates for it. I'm not keen on the keyboard compared to iDOS as i find it trickier to type on. But i've added a few games, playing Dark Forces on it for me is worth it alone ! Wish Quake II wasnt a Windows based game (I think any games you try and play via Win 3.1 will be slow personally).

But its fun copying different games over and trying them, Discworld i got to work, couldnt seem to save my progress though but i'll keep trying. Great fun app to use and try different games with

It doesnt work like that, all depends on the emulator. I couldnt get Out Run to work on MAME on my iphone 4s, that 'rom' was nearly 30 years old yet i couldnt run it full speed on my iphone 4s. A lot depends on how the emulator is created

11. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    Then why are people able to play games that I am not able to?

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Using faster devices ? I couldnt play certain games on my iphone 4s, on my new iphone everything works fine.

Did you say you tried to play some games via Win 3.1 ? I wouldnt do that as the device has to emulate Windows 3.1 and the a game on top of that. I play them directly in dos.

Not had a problem on my ipad 3 or iphone 7 but like i say my older phone struggled with some games before

13. AlanBell68

AlanBell68 Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I am using an iPhone 5c 32GB and an iPad 3 (64GB). I can get Space Quest series I through V to work fine. They seem to perform pretty close to what I rember on my old PC way back when. My guess is it's probably the older hardware having to struggle more to emulate the Intel x86 chip set, video and audio hardware. As per the previous poster, My old jail broken 3GS was not practical with DOSPAD, both of which are using the same underlying DOSBOX libraries, I believe.

14. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #134 Gwarmaxx, Feb 20, 2015
    regarding DOS games, i don't have any issues with most of the games, running them in both iDOS and PowerDOS... Sierra & LucasFilms games, Master of Orion, Star Trek 25th Anniversary, Star Control, Legend of Kyrandia, Beneath a Steel Sky, Out of this World, X-COM, etc etc work great... i don't understand why you have such problems!
    it is obvious that you can't easily run games from middle 90s onwards, it's an emulator running on a cellphone/tablet pal, not on a new "sci-fi multiplatform and retro console with Windows integrated"!!! :)

edit> i'm on iOS7, i know that on 8 emus are slower... had the same issue with my old iPhone4 when i've installed iOS7 couple of years ago.

Outrun runs perfect on my 4S in iMAME4All, better than on Gridlee, so depends on iOS and emulators, like you said.

15. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #135 Gwarmaxx, Feb 20, 2015
    i'm just playing Space Quest I, and it works perfectly!
    i've tried both versions, EGA and VGA, and both run sweet!

Attached Files:

16. Enoff Suvorov

Enoff Suvorov New Member

Feb 21, 2015
    #136 Enoff Suvorov, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Hi, created an account to just say thanks. I couldn't believe when I saw power dos up on itunes that it was for real, reading the thread here I realized it was. Thanks AlanBell68 for your info on ifunbox, I was able to quickly access the power dos directory and load an old Traveller rpg program Galactic.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks for that, just set it up, works very well. However on 'joystick mode' is there any key which will activate the game, space/enter/Ctrl etc dont seem to work, works fine in mouse mode

Not a huge issue just wondered. But so much better using that to play games instead of typing out DOS stuff

Also is there a way to 'quit' a game and go back to dos without shutting the main program down ?

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Only if there is a "Quit to DOS" somewhere in the program.

Simpler programs might give you that prompt if you hit Escape at the main menu.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, thought that might be the case. Either way i'm loving this emulator and testing a few games to see what works well, what doesnt etc

This front end helps out a lot!

20. cuavsfan

cuavsfan Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Sorry to quote my own post, but I'm really hoping somebody who has the app can give me a quick answer. :)