Universal Power DOS: x86 Emulator for iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, Jan 17, 2015.

1. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    How did you get the old computer skin?

2. Sciencematthew

Sciencematthew Well-Known Member

I think thats iPad Only, Unfortunately.

3. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I couldnt get wizardry 7 to work, defeated by old school copy protection, lol

4. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Well, there's always Daggerfall and Arena to enjoy. Dungeon keeper would be pretty fun too if it works; I haven't tested it out though. I'm not that great at DOS.

5. squareking

squareking New Member

Feb 10, 2015
    #105 squareking, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    I haven't found a control scheme for Daggerfall that makes it enjoyable to play just yet, and Eye of the Beholder's right-click-to-attack is really fiddly with a touch screen, but I spent most of the day (home with a fever) going through Wizardry 7. Freakin' awesome.

Loading up some of my GOG/Steam dosbox titles now, like Wasteland, Beneath a Steel Sky and XCOM. It's been a good day.

Just can't get Lands of Lore II working. Prob need to mess around with mounting, but I'm not sure where to start...

6. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    For Daggerfall controls I like to set "swing weapon" to F1 and enable mouse based viewing in options, then I just have to hold F1 to attack. It less fiddly than holding down right mouse, swinging, releasing the mouse button, and repeating.

7. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Where do I put the arena folder using ifunbox I put it under the documents but dos can't find it(the document folder) help pls

8. Sciencematthew

Sciencematthew Well-Known Member

@zdkazz there is a menubar on the right. click "User Applications". Under that menu, find the "POWERDOS" Folder, a documents folder will be there. (this may be outdated, as I am running an ancient version of iFunbox on Mac OSX 10.5

@squareking: Try to extract the game on your computer and copy the individual files and folders over. This will get around the mounting problems. I think on windows .7zip supports ".iso" files, as does WinRAR.

9. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Another update today..

I'm surprised it's still online..

- Zip / unzip added
    - 2 new GUI's (?)
    - new dos command

10. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Well iDOS is still online in the UK store.

I guess running old DOS apps in general is not the same as running console roms.

11. AlanBell68

AlanBell68 Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Free DOS Application launcher for use inside IDOS/DOSPAD/POWERDOS

In response to a couple of comments wanting a game launcher, I created a very simplistic one a while ago. It uses a configuration file with three lines for each game. The first line is the on-screen title for the game, the second is the path where it resides (folder), and the third the exectuable or batch thatlaunches the application.

The link below contains a zip file that you can copy into your DOS environment and unzip. it also includes a freeware text editor and freewarefile manger.

Make sure to back up your AUTOEXEC first, as it includes a new one. You may need to add some paths from your original into the new one.

You can edit the games by selecting "APPLICATION" menu and choosing EDIT, which will launch the editor and pen the configuration file.

The interface is mouse driven and releases any memory it uses prior to launching the app. It is also small enough to work nicely on iPhones.

Here is the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v33bi5bkjy2i5q2/iDOSInst.zip?dl=0

Enjoy!

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks a ton. Shall try this out later !

13. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    Hi, I joined this forum here to hopefully get some help with PowerDos. I have always wanted to play Dos games on my iPad (SC2K, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Quake, etc.). So when I found this Dos program that supposedly could run dos games, I nabbed it (knowing it could be taken down).

However, I have absolutely no idea how to get games or programs to run on it. I can't access it through iTunes, so I have no idea how to transfer files over, let alone get them to run. I have been able to run some of the games that came with it (mine sweeper and loader larry, hang it and scorched don't work), and run some sort of windows like program called OpenGem (that is very buggy, and hard to navigate).

I haven't used dos in years (though I still know how to open and view directories, as well as open programs), and my iPad is the only apple device I have ever owned (I mostly use PCs).

So is there anyone that could please help me out? I'd be very grateful if one of you could help me play some of my favorite old dos games on my iPad.

Just to let you know, I have an iPad 2 (with the latest iOS 8) and a PC with Windows 7 64bit.

14. AlanBell68

AlanBell68 Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I would start by downloading iFunBox from here...
    http://dl.i-funbox.com
    this will let you do things that iTunes wont.

Once installed, conect your deivce and start iFunBox.

I personally use classic view, as I find it easier to navigate.

Switch to iFunBox Classic view, and expand the User Applications option in the tree view down the left hand side. Look for Power DOS inside there.

Once you have found it, expand the Documents folder and you will see all of the files on your Power DOS C: drive. You can literally drag and drop files and folders from your PC into this location to transfer them.

Check out this site for old PC Games that are downloadable...

http://www.myabandonware.com

Download onto your PC and extract the archive into its own folder.

If the archive already contains a folder you can just drag this across to your Power DOS PC as described above, otherwise drag the folder itself.

Fire up Power DOS and you should see the folder there. you should be able to navigate into it and fire most games from their EXE, COM or BAT file. Some may require you to run a SETUP, but most are ready to run.

You may need to play around with memory managers for some larger games, but select SOUNDBLASTER for audio if asked, as this is preconfigured in PowerDOS for you.

Once you are able to run the game this way, feel free to try my launcher, which will make life a little easier for you to access your games long term. See earlier post.

This is not a comprehensive set of instructions, but will hopefully get you going in the right direction.

Best ofl luck!

15. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    @ AlanBell68

That has helped quite a bit, thank you. I have now successfully run my gog.com version of SC2K. However, I have no sound, and it is lagging pretty badly. Is there anyway to speed it up?

16. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    Also, this "memory manager", where do I get it, or if I have it, how do I access it?

17. AlanBell68

AlanBell68 Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I'm no expert on the memory manager programs, such as HIMEM.SYS, EMM386.SYS, QEMM.SYS.

QEMM was a third party program, but the others came in DOS and Windows 3.1 (HIMEM.SYS)

They typically helped to mange early PC memory, which was devided in to EXTENDED, EXPANDED and HIGH memory areas I think.

They are typically called in CONFIG.SYS, with a line like DEVICE=XXXX, but you will have to do some further digging as to parameters etc.

If you are using HIMEM.SYS, I think you can put "DOS=HIGH" in the config.sys to load DOS higher in memory to free more memory for your games.

Again, You will probably want to do some digging around online for further info or ask some of our other more seasoned DOS experts here.

Not sure as to the sound issues (non-soundblaster game?), but speed might improve a little if you are able to free up some more DOS RAM by loading DOS high. Also, make sure your host isnt maxed out too. If you iPad or iPhone is an older model and it has notifications and/or other background processes running, this could have a knock-on effect.

18. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    @ AlanBell68
    Thanks for the info. Sound seems to be working for some games, and not others. But that's ok, SC2K wasn't known for it's sound.

I will look into your solutions for "memory managers"

It feels so good right now to finally be playing a REAL Sim City game on my iPad, and not the unfinished product Deluxe was or the horrible farmville style SimCity Build It is.

Anyways, thanks again.

19. Ranting Thespian

Feb 18, 2015
    Ok, um, I have tried looking in the config file for PowerDos (with notepad), and the one time I saw dos= it was dos=high.

I also do not see device=XXXX (and I am not sure what to fill XXXX with).

As for the HIMEM file, it had neither as well.

And the games are impossible to play because of the lag. I also do not have any other programs running.

Also, it appears that Outpost cannot run in Dos, but can run in Windows 3.1. Is there a way I can install 3.1?

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #120 drelbs, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015