Universal Power DOS: x86 Emulator for iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, Jan 17, 2015.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Is there anyway to add some sort of 'interface' to the games ?

I've got iDOS installed from a while back and that had a graphical interface for the installed games (or press C: to go to the dos prompt)

I'm torn whether to carry on using this or use this new Power DOS, presume the latest version is better ?

I'm ready to add some games to it but its a bit of a pain having to type to get the games to run, suppose i could create a batch file to run the game (so it goes into the right folder etc)

2. Falcon1987

Falcon1987 Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Oh yes... Magic Carpet works! In low Rez mode tho (at least on a gen 1 mini).

falcon1987

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    How can you change the speed percentage ? Eg it says 100%, is there a way to speed that up ?

Got a few old classics working (Dark Forces), had to take down the graphic level etc but i wonder if you can 'overclock' the app ?

4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    with fn button change to the second keyboard then ctrl+f11/f12

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks. Just tried it, only goes up to 105% (Trying to play an old dos classic - NAM)

Got an iphone 4s, perhaps thats the max it can run on mine

6. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #46 Gwarmaxx, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    believe it or not, yesterday i was wondering the same thing!!!

i would like to have an interface with original covers to tap on and play... guess it's a matter of figure out how it works exploring iDOS folders.

edit- i've seen in iDOS that 3D Realms bundle is in a separate folder, but can't understand the layout.

7. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    weird 'cause i have the clock rate, not percentage one, i've seen it ocasionally.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Gave up on iDOS

Started copying the set up for those 3d Realms games, had the correct folders, edited the correct ini files, had the correct thumbnails etc but still not working when i tried adding a game myself. Did get it working a while back as i had commander keen which i had added myself

But a lot of hassle ! I'll stick with powerdos !

I've got Discworld working but i cant save my progress, i enter a filename and click the tick but doesnt seem to work when i restart and go to saved games. Impressed how well the likes of Discworld works though

Quake II didnt work, said it was a Win 95 exe file (the folder looked like a dos game though), perhaps i should look for another download.

9. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    but if you look closely in iDOS, there's a sub folder named "packages" inside main app directory that holds all the info for a packaged folder, so the solution is edit the games.plist file + .pkg and .cfg ones for every added game, put in cover arts... and go!

too much for me, got 200+ games inside powerDOS.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    And are you accessing those games just by going to C:\games and then the game folder and then running the EXE etc ?

Theres no clever short cut or that ?

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #51 psj3809, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Yeah i was confused by that. I had the games in 3d Realms, the config files in the packages folder had the same cfg file which had the path, eg C:\3drealms

But then in the packages folder was also the pkg files for each game ? (So its like double the size, one in 3d realms and one in the pkg file in Packages). Unsure what one to use/delete etc !

Edit - Get it now. The pkg files are just temporary files which are downloaded (and then copied over to the main c: drive

I've deleted all the pkg files and the games all still work

12. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, i've already deleted games folders inside main directory, have them on docs folder only and work fine.

the problem is edit every cfg and png/jpg for every single added game, and figure out where to put them

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well i just added one, all seemed fine. Went to do another and just wont work, goes straight to the C: prompt

Checked all the files, 'sure' they're okay. Arrrgh frustrating !

14. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    don't understand, have you got the first added one working? how is the right path to do that?

15. Falcon1987

Falcon1987 Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I've noticed that Power DOS automatically creates a D: drive too but files can't be copied to it and can't seem to get any info on the size, etc. What's this about?

16. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Can this run Daggerfall? If it does, can someone give me a quick tutorial on how to download and install it please?

17. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    isn't this the exact same program as Idos from a year ago?
    Icon, and the screens are the same..
    Did anything change, besides the other ones had a shared documents folder?

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Does the original NFS work? I think it needed to run in protected mode or similar, but I can't remember too wellÂ… When running it had to load DOS4GW or something like that. Argh, so used to the easiness of iOS gaming that I've forgotten everything about SB16 setup, 640KB of free base RAM, etc. :p

19. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Anyone care to share how to install Daggerfall?
    or other games.. like the covers and config file etc?

Tried looking in the other Idos thread, and its over 140 pages...

20. kuluman

kuluman Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #60 kuluman, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Daggerfall

For those of you asking about Daggerfall, hope this helps!

First, I strongly recommend you download the "Daggerfallsetup" version of the game. This allows for a quick and painless install on your pc and this version is already preconfigured for DosBox. Just search for "Daggerfallsetup" and you'll get there.

(Remember that Daggerfall has been made available by Bethesda as a free download and it is still offered on the Elder Scrolls website. They even provide instructions on how to run it on a Dos emulator. Installation can still be a pain sometimes however, which is why I recommend this version, and the rest of this post is based on that version.)

Once you've installed the game on your computer, navigate to the installation directory (*/Bethesda Softworks/Daggerfall). For easier use on my iPad I renamed the "Daggerfall" folder to "Dagger" and I suggest doing the same since it makes things a bit easier (DOS will only let you type names of 8 characters or less).

After renaming the folder to "Dagger", go into this folder and locate the Z.CFG configuration file. Open it with Notepad and find the following two lines:

path C:\arena2\
    pathCD C:\arena2\

Edit them so they look like this (assuming you've renamed the folder to "Dagger":

path C:\dagger\arena2\
    pathCD C:\dagger\arena2\

Save and exit. Now copy the folder named "Dagger" to PowerDos on your iPad or iPhone (I use iFunbox to do this. It should go into the "Documents" folder).

Disconnect your device, open PowerDos and navigate to the Dagger folder, by typing "cd dagger" (minus the quotes). Once there, you MUST start the game with the following command line (without the quotes):

"fall z.cfg"

That's it! As I stated in my previous post, it runs like a charm on an iPad Air 2 (not mine unfortunately). My biggest challenge was finding the right control scheme, especially for attacks, but I assigned the "Swing weapon" key to the F1 button (so I can use it easily with the joypad) and to attack I just keep that one pressed while I swipe the screen to swing the weapon (make sure you enable mouse-based viewing in the options btw). That works fine for me and after a couple of hours of playing feels quite natural. I do have to switch regularly between joypad and full keyboard, but that's not really a problem.

Anyway I hope this has been useful. :)