Universal Power DOS: x86 Emulator for iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, Jan 17, 2015.

1. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Holy macaroni, I never expected that! I'm not sure why they did it ...especially without better support.

iTunes File Sharing is not enabled, and iFunBox states that any device running iOS 8.3 or higher requires a jailbreak to get into the application folders.

According to documentation at http://greatappshelp.com/mount-cd-floppy-or-directories-in-power-dos/ (note that the app says "Bug reports, how to's 'www.greateappshelp.com'." which does not exist) says

Drive Z is mounted as Internal Virtual Drive

Perhaps there's a way to point it to another computer containing DOS files. It's not very usable on my 6S so I doubt I'll be trying this, but if anyone can figure out an easy way to load joystick-ready DOS games, please share!

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #282 Gwarmaxx, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

yeah, but the problem is: how the hell is it available again with the same appstore id?????? it had been pulled long time ago!!!!!! WTF are you doing AppIe???

anyway, i'm keeping the 1.0 version from the first day, works like a charm (i've updated it once and have some issues, so rolled back to 1.0), if anyone can try this new one, let me know if it properly works (mostly side loading through itunes or ifunbox, etc.)

3. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    I don't think PowerDOS was pulled. There have been other DOS emulators in the store, maybe you're thinking of one of those?

4. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    #284 macatron, Oct 14, 2016
    Yeah, this is the same Power DOS I've always had since it came out. That's how I knew it received an update. I've also got the original DOSBox and DOSBox 2 (as well as the Aemula Oldies ones). But, like everything else, they're all pretty useless without the ability to side load games. I was kinda hoping that this Power DOS update snuck in iTunes File Sharing. Can anyone confirm? I'm at work right now. My old iPad 4 still has iOS 8, so my version of DOSBox still works perfectly. I'd just like the option to play old dungeon crawlers on my phone again too. :)

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #285 drelbs, Oct 14, 2016
    If you kept older IPAs of iDOS2 you can delete it, install the older version, side load through iTunes, then update. (Of course if you are on iOS8 you don't need to do that.)

6. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #286 Gwarmaxx, Oct 14, 2016

i'm sure that PowerDOS was pulled 'cause i have 1.0 version installed from the first day, and hadn't any later update pending notification on the app store until today (it obviously means that it wasn't available), besides i've checked it more than once, and it was surely pulled.
    i've got all the other ones (the first iDOS, iDOS 2, Aemula Oldies, etc), and the only one always available was AO (never pulled 'cause it never had side loading, and iDOS 2 came back on the store with only a couple of games and stuck side loading, until you unlock it editing the plist file).

7. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Interesting. So are you saying that iDOS 2 still has the ability to sideload then? I'm currently using a 6S running iOS 10, but I'd love to get DOS up and running again. Is just cool to have old classics in my pocket. :D If you have a how to could you please PM it to me? I'm not sure if it would violate any of TA's forum polices, so I didn't want to get anyone into trouble. :) Thanks!

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The current version of iDOS2 (with iOS9 support) does not have side-load capabilities, but the previous version does.

That means if you have the previous IPA you can install it, side-load via iTunes File Sharing, then update the app. :)

9. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Ah gotcha. Well, I definitely don't have the IPA file for the previous version, so it looks like I'll just have to stick with my iPad in order to play DOS games. Thanks for the help nonetheless. :)

10. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm wondering what the point of this is if you can't sideload apps. I've still got some games on it when disk copy was allowed but I'm getting an iPhone 7 soon so it will be bye bye.

11. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    I assume it's mostly for jail broken devices.

I've come to accept that some devices are better than others for certain kinds of apps. I mostly run computer games on computers and mobile apps on phones and I'm much happier as a result.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Sadly it reset my config file - PowerDOS is where I kept all my Gravis UltraSound games/demos.

There is an option to choose config files, but I hadn't set it up beforehand.

I guess I can try copying and editing dosbox.cfg from within and see if I can restore my GUS. :)

13. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I wonder if Apple would allow cloud based file sharing like Dropbox. If they allow it for comic/Ebook readers where you can effectively pirate copyrighted material, why not DOS emulator?

14. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    That'd be nice, but I'm sure we'll never see it.

15. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

new update did that?

i'm still on 1.0.0 that works great

16. ecstaticax

ecstaticax Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Honestly I cannot understand why there are updates, like the latest one, if nobody can add software. IMHO there must be some kind of hidden way to do it.

17. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I was thinking the same thing. Without the ability to add games via programs like iFunbox, this app is essentially useless. I really wish someone would find some "secret door" that Apple has missed, but I really doubt it will ever happen.

18. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    It really pisses me off. I tried the new update on my iPhone 6, where I still have some games back when iFunBox used to work, and the new update has improved performance a lot. But the iPhone 6 is still small and isn't very useful for DOS games. Power DOS can be super useful and fun on the iPad Pro, especially it works great with the Smart Keyboard, but impossible to transfer anything, so it's useless.

Anyone PLEASE have any clue or any sort of way to get some files onto this damn app? I literally tried everything I can think of.

19. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #299 Gwarmaxx, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

ok, get iDOS 2 on the AppStore, has the same DosBox build plus file sharing through iTunes and transfer all your game folders there... is the only solution, pal.

i have both but i'm still on a 4S iOS 7.1.2, and sadly the new PowerDOS update have a bugfed controls position on the screen when i turn between portrait and landscape views... anyway, i've rolled back to the previous version through iFunbox.

20. ecstaticax

ecstaticax Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I even tweeted the software house. I asked if there's a way to trasfer software, but they did not reply. The app is good, on iPad Pro it works like a charm, but if I cannot transfer software why the hell they add features nobody can use?
    I think there must be a hidden port.