Universal Power DOS: x86 Emulator for iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Just found this out today too :( when I went to try and add more stuff into imame grrrrr hope fun box gets updated soon

2. spidersaur

spidersaur Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Did it just get pulled? Says it's not available on the app store, it was working just an hour ago when I downloaded it though.

3. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, seems no more available

4. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Someone should ask the developer what is going on.

iDOS2 is still in the store as of right now for what that's worth.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Have you asked him ?

I'm glad people have posted and said that ios 8.3 breaks iFunbox etc. No way am i updating now ! That'll ruin lots of my emulators

6. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    Nah, you should ask him/her, you're closer to the situation. ;-)

I choose the bug fixes and security updates of 8.3, and always will. It's faster too. I have tons of other, better places to play old games than my iPhone.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm not worried about 8.3. Didnt have any issues previously on my phone. Never update asap as theres often issues on apps (normal ones not emulators) not working time and time again. When ios9 comes out there'll be issues with lots of existing apps but people will instantly upgrade and then moan about it after !

I've got other devices as well but its a shame that ifunbox has been locked out

8. vidra

vidra Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2013
    English Teacher
    I read a bunch of terrible things about people with bricked or half-bricked iPad Air 1st-gens after updating to 8.3 so I'll be holding off as well.

On a related topic, I just got Master of Orion 2 running on my iPad! It was a beautiful sight. My heart skipped a beat :)

9. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    I have an iPad Air, and had no problems with 8.3. FWIW

i-funbox's Facebook page says this

All we need is the Documents folder, so this is good news if it's compatible. The Windows app is up and the Mac version is coming.

10. vidra

vidra Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2013
    English Teacher
    I guess I probably wouldn't have either, but reading all those stories of woe has made me paranoid. Nowadays, you don't know who to trust anymore :)

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The question is then does iDOS2 have that flag set? :confused:

12. cuavsfan

cuavsfan Member

Feb 20, 2015
    It looks like iDOS and iDOS2 do NOT have that flat set. Non jailbroken 6+ with 8.3 and neither one is accessible through either ifunbox or iExplorer. In ifunbox both apps appear in the "non-flagged" section. (sigh)

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Figures. Then again the flag may not have existed until now.

Totally screws up a lot of iOS musicians (including myself) who now cannot manage our patches/libraries/projects well until those apps update. I wouldn't mind going through iTunes so much if it could handle folders at all...

14. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #254 zen_mode, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    Does anyone know if it's likely that either PowerDOS or iDOS 1/2 will enable access to /documents/ in a future update? Is there any reason why they couldn't? I'm guessing the dev of PowerDOS pulled it down so he can make the change and hopefully put it back up, but would be interested if anything official has been said. For now though, looks like i'll be staying on 8.1

15. cuavsfan

cuavsfan Member

Feb 20, 2015
    The developer of iDOS has a forum where he answers some questions about the apps, but somebody asked this exact question a week ago and he ignored it...

http://www.litchie.com/pages/dospad.html

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The problem here is that they would need to get that update approved.

Now I think I'm understanding why Apple left these emulator apps up - was a test for iOS 8.3 - note that both apps are gone now. In order to "play by the rules" they'd have to resubmit with the documents flag enabled, which of course becomes a trigger to more thoroughly check the app.

This is not just a show stopper for grey-area apps like iDOS, but it really hampers Music Apps - App Sharing in iTunes sucks if you need to deal with folders. Now all those apps have to be resubmitted with the flag. :(

17. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    IDOS 2 is still in the store. I don't see how emulators are any different from text readers. Apple should allow both apps to submit updates that permit iTunes file sharing to the app's Documents folder.

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #258 drelbs, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Odd, I swear I looked for PowerDOS & iDOS2 yesterday and neither were in the US App Store...

Here's hoping that iDOS2 can squeak by with an update for the documents folder!

EDIT: Sorry, I should have said that I found it when I looked today :eek:

19. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
  20. Oynox

Oynox Member

Mar 31, 2015
    #260 Oynox, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    This is app was taken down in Germany. However iDOS 2 is still available. Now I am mad that I didn't buy it earlier...