Universal Power DOS: x86 Emulator for iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Spock4Pres

Spock4Pres Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Yeah, I already bought this when it dropped to a dollar, but I still can't figure out why TA still has it marked as free.

Either way, totally worth the price. Hooking up a Bluetooth keyboard helps a lot. Espescially with Daggerfall, which is the main reason I got it.

2. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Does Daggerfall run ok? Or a bit slow?

3. trnZ

trnZ Active Member

May 20, 2009
    Does anyone know if Sensible World of Soccer works on that? ;)

4. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    It's not that bad when you set the cycles higher. But when you are in the big cities like Daggerfall it starts to lag a bit.

5. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Does anybody know how to get a megadrive/genesis emulator to work i have only found genecyst wich is not fullscreen i also cant seem to map te controlls
    Or kgen98 wich does everything perfectly exept that its unplayably slow

6. yatahaze

yatahaze New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Bluetooth keyboard is supposed to work, but my iGo keyboard isn't working. It works in my other apps. Is there something else I have to do to make it work? Anyone know?

7. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Unfortunately, upon further testing of v2.8.0, the only version I could fin that doesn't require reg, it runs quite poorly when navigating menu's, even with max cpu cycles running on an ip6. If it wasn't for this it would probably be quite playable.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think the best thing is to pay for those services where you can install a variety of emulators on non jailbroken phones (often $10 a year which is worth it). I've tried a few emulators via Dosbox and they seem pretty slow.

The other way to use emulators works very well

9. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Those services exist or should they exist couse i never heard of them i would gladly pay for it tho

10. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    How did you get it running I can't figure it out at all

11. yatahaze

yatahaze New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Update: I asked the devs and they said bluetooth is not working in some iOS versions. They submitted an app update with a bunch of new features and it was denied. They said they are meeting with the Apple team to discuss this.

12. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    What specific part are you stuck at? I'm not sure if I could help but I'll try :)

13. daedalia

daedalia Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Get Bluetooth keyboards working

Disabling third party keyboards got Bluetooth ones working for me.

I tried mapping iCade too and then realised it will never work because it doesn't hold keys, it has qwerty keys assigned for button up and down events.

I've seen a lot of chatter about cycles, it's worth mentioning that you can set this in BAT files with "cycles=1200". Useful if you have one game like Descent for example that needs more cycles but you don't want to keep it that high for games that don't need it as a higher cycle setting will chew through your battery quicker.

14. bored2death

bored2death Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2013
    ERMAHGERD so your saying I can play an elder scrolls game one ios =(^_^)= ooooh the joy

15. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I'm tempted to do that, but they require a sketchy-looking enterprise certificate which I just don't trust. Fortunately, there are more cheap ways than ever to run old games, most of which have controls that are better suited to this software. Of course if anyone makes a great new touch interface for Daggerfall, I'm there.

16. parlortrick

parlortrick New Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Help!

Okay, I used to play DOS games when I was a kid, but my skills have eroded. I have iExplorer, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open games in Power DOS. I have a good many DOS game files in .zip, but just can't figure out how to get them rolling. Can someone assist?

17. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    You're going to need to unzip them into folders, then place those folders into the Documents folder inside the PowerDOS app (using ifunbox).

From inside the running app, you change to the name of the folder you want, like this command to change directory to where I have Wing Commander installed

CD wc

Then you need to start the game. If you type "dir" (no quotes) you get a directory listing of the files in the current folder. The game executable will end with ".exe" which in this case is wc.exe. Type that and it loads and you're off and running in game world, where it's basically a game console with no more typing needed.

You'll eventually want to learn some more skills. Read about it or watch some YouTube, because there are plenty of tutorials. http://www.classicdosgames.com/tutorials/dosbox.html

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Well crap-on-a-stick-a-roo iOS 8.3 breaks stuff like iExplorer and iFunBox. :mad:

19. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #239 Intendro, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Oh, great...
    And that means (after I have to update beyond iOS 7, like by getting the latest iPhone) I won't be able to use my computer to back up save data of apps that aren't still on my device... because iTunes only backs up save data for apps on my device, for some reason.

...Do you think those programs can be updated to work? I hope so...

20. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    I'll bet iFunBox will be fixed before long. For what it's worth, data that's already in apps like iDOS 2 still seems to work.