Universal Post Apocalyptic Adventure

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Lostcitygamez, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostcitygamez

Lostcitygamez Active Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Game Designer
    Seattle
    #1 Lostcitygamez, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Updated: Feb. 12th 2015

Gameplay Trailer:

Hey guys and gals. Just wanted to share a little info and screens on my upcoming game (still working on the title). This will be the 2nd game from Lost City GameZ (the first game has only been released on Android so far) and I have worked hard to make this game much better than my first.

Alone in the Wasteland

Story:

- The year is 2114. The past mistakes of mankind have finally caught up. Global Warming is in full force. The air has turned toxic, temperatures have skyrocketed and crops have stopped growing. Mankind has been forced to move underground. These cities use bio fuel to power their climate control and air filtration system.

- A distress call has been sent from one of the neighboring underground cities calling for more bio fuel. You have been chosen to go to the surface, search for fuel and deliver it before its too late.

Gameplay:

-This game is primarily a survival adventure. However, there are some areas of the game that force you to do some platforming.

- There are 45 levels in the game. Each level is sort of like a micro sandbox environment. Some levels are linear while others are much more open. The next level always begins where the previous left off (for example: if level 18 ended with you climbing a ladder, level 19 will begin at the top of the ladder). Each level takes around 3-7 minutes to finish.

- Every level has the same goal which is to find 2 cans of fuel. Sometimes the fuel can only be found by unlocking locked doors or solving puzzles. Some levels also have special items or notes which help tell more of the story.

- Sense the air is toxic, the main character uses a special breathing filter. As you explore the levels, your oxygen will decrease. There are a limited amount of oxygen cans scattered around each level. As a player you will have to decide weather to pick up the oxygen cans right away or save them (hint: sometimes its better to save them).

Enemies:

- The surface is completely uninhabitable. There are no other people, animals or any kind of mutants. So what will you be fighting in this game? Your own mind!

- The hot temperatures, lack of oxygen and loneliness cause the main character to have frequent hallucinations. Simply put, these monsters only exist in your mind. However, the sensation of pain is created in the mind so these hallucinations can hurt you (this is why you can feel pain in your dreams).

- The enemies range from simple snakes and over sized bees to large killer robots. The fact that the enemies are just hallucinations has really opened up the options for enemy design. Instead of being tied to the theme of the game, I am able to design anything that a person might be scared of. Its been really fun.

So how do you fight these things?

Fighting:

- Combat is fairly simple in this game but its also risky. You have 100 health points and each hit by an enemy (some by touch, others by shooting at you) take 20 health points. Sense the enemies are in your head, using a gun or sword wouldn't make sense. Therefore, you fight by using a "mental blast" which shoots in whatever direction you're facing. (Getting a screenshot of the blast was very difficult but it more or less looks like the hadouken attack from Street Fighter). However, using these blast does have consequences.

- The human body requires more oxygen when under stress or scared. Therefore, using your mental blast reduces some of your oxygen. If you remember from my original post, running out of oxygen is deadly.

- Combat can range from slow and easy to fast paced and challenging depending on the level and enemy.

Pricing:

- This will be available for FREE!!!

- There will be no in app purchases. I want everyone to be able to enjoy the entire game without spending a cent.

- In order to help fund future projects, this game will have ads. However, I am trying to keep the ads as clean as possible. Currently, the only ad in the game is an interstitial full screen (not video) that comes up when you die.

Update: After many request, I will be looking into making an additional version of the game with extra content and no ads for .99 cents. The original game will remain free with ads.

Screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please keep in mind that the real game looks much sharper and plays smoother when playing in real time on a phone or tablet. Youtube adds compression artifacts that do not reflect the true graphics.

2. jgainsbrugh

jgainsbrugh Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Hey. Looks very interesting. I love these kind of games. Make sure there is some kind of cool involved story. These games are all about story. Like maybe the hero is looking for a lost bomb shelter that has supplies and the means to begin civilization again or something. Then there is a goal to reach for in the game. And maybe some kind of wasteland king boss the hero has to defeat to get there. Just my two cents. All the best to you!

3. Justinq21

Justinq21 Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Don't worry it's got both of those. The story gets very deep and twisted as you progress. Also, there are 3 boss battles (so far).

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #4 psj3809, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    Looks great but please let us pay for tha game so there's no adverts.

Please don't ruin a potentially great game with adverts (which we can't even pay to disable)

5. Gafferman

Gafferman Active Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Seems very interesting, definitely keepibg tabs on this one!

I do hope you add an IAP option to disable ads, though :)

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nice... Looks really good. Cant wait to see it in action.

7. 2Desserts

2Desserts Active Member

Wow, like the look of it so far. As others have said a strong story will really carry the game.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm loving these post apocalyptic type games ! With a new Mad Max film out next year as well i think we may see more !

Whats the spec for iOS ? Will an iphone 4s work ? Also what OS ? Will ios 7 be okay ?

9. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #9 gemineye62, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    Please consider charging to get rid of the ad.
    Devils Demons had an option to pay $1.99 to disable the ads and the game is so much better now.

Also, I am not sure how combat is done but, I do have one suggestion for you.

How about the ability to sneak up on enemies that have an oxygen mask on. You then pull the mask off and the
    enemies pass out. You can also take their oxygen tank as well to add to your inventory.

Also ,your character might need to watch the speed at which he moves. eg. Running burns though the oxygen
    faster.

Good luck with your game.

10. Lostcitygamez

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Game Designer
    Seattle
    I am currently shooting for iPhone 4S and iOS 7 as my minimum. The original ipad mini is definitely extending the life of the A5 chip. However, if the game runs too choppy on the 4S I may have to use the iPhone 5 as my minimum.

The iPad version will be designed for the 4:3 screen but the iPhone versions have been designed for 16:9. Therefore, you will have small black bars when playing on the 4S.

Those are some cool ideas but the enemies in this game are not human. In the day time temperatures get up to 150 Fahrenheit and at night they drop to -50. There is nothing living on the surface. Everyone has moved underground.

I will reveal more info on the enemies soon and post a couple new screens. Needless to say, the enemies in this game are pretty unique.

11. Lostcitygamez

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Game Designer
    Seattle
    Just finished a couple new levels and thought I'd share some screens. I'll update my first post shortly.

The new level takes place in an abandoned cargo ship. The cargo ship setting will last for 5 levels. Each level will explore a different section of the ship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Looks awesome, planning on an instabuy for sure, keep up the get work :)

13. Lostcitygamez

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Game Designer
    Seattle
    Update: 01/04/2015

Welcome to the new year fellow forum members! Unfortunately, I missed my original goal of getting this game out in December but I am working hard to try to get it out soon (hopefully sometime this month).

In the meantime, here are some more screens to show you guys how its progressing. Again, keep in mind that the game looks a lot better in motion on a phone or tablet. Also sorry if the images are too large.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,

Justin Q.
    Lost City GameZ

14. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Looks fantastic, how is the A5 devices looking, will they'll be compatible?

15. Lostcitygamez

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Game Designer
    Seattle
    So far I am getting around 30-40 frames per second on A5 and low end Android devices. However, the frame rate can dip a little on the levels that have more particle effects.

I am still looking into further optimization but overall things are very smooth.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ever consider having the option to buy the ads off though IAP?

17. Lostcitygamez

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Game Designer
    Seattle
    I'm considering it. For now I am making a free version with ads and a .99 cent version without ads (which comes with some extra content or story info). The "Offers In-App Purchases" text in the App Store seems to be a bit of a turn off to some people so I'm trying to avoid IAP all together.

18. Krizzle1

Krizzle1 Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Hey mate, any chance I could beta test this?

I have a few ideas to make this game even better.

Im loving the way it looks

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ah... I didnt know you were going to make a separate premium app, which is generally the better option. Thanks! No worries on the IAP to remove ads then.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree, the dev has updated the original post..

"Update: After many request, I will be looking into making an additional version of the game with extra content and no ads for .99 cents. The original game will remain free with ads. "

Thats great as i would be happy paying a dollar or two so the dev gets some money and i dont get crappy ad's !