Possible Rolando Price Drop?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dannys95, Dec 20, 2008.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #1 dannys95, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    On X-Mas Day maybe? Check this out from their twitter:

Hi.....Sorry - no price drops on Rolando before the holidays. We think that the game is great value at $9.99!

2. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Dude, can you read? No price drops on Rolando, before the holidays, after, not for at least 2 or 3 months.

3. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I read dude. It says before the holidays (which i am sure is referring to x mas and maybe new years). after that it is possible. They said:

NO PRICE DROPS UNTIL AFTER THE HOLIDAYS.

do u know the meaning of after?

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #4 Kamazar, Dec 20, 2008
    They aren't going to drop the price for a while. It's a ridiculous hyped (but pretty darn good) game that's going to be on people's minds for a while. After christmas, people'll be going, "eh, I should treat myself, I can't possibly sink any deeper in debt." Wait 'til february or something.

Or do you want me to say, "Why yes, they're not going to take advantage of the free marketing they've gotten over the past several months. 6+ months of work? Of course, the indy devs are gonna give it all away for $1.99. Just stay poised like the pounching grasshoppper and there will be a price drop." ?

5. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    How cares about a price drop? I bought it today and it's great. I feel like it's worth the asking price.

6. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    I believe you mean who care about a price drop? ;)

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I know nothing about ngmoco's plans.

But... Rolando is sitting at #13 of all paid apps. And it's climbing. There is no way they have a price drop planned ahead of time. The only reason to drop the price is to stimulate sales. If Rolando stays in the top 10-20 apps, there is no reason to drop the price.

arn

8. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    If Rolando is as good as it looks it is worth the $9.99.

What you don't want to happen (and what IS happening) is developers having to lower the price of good apps because users have this idea of how much an iPhone game should cost, and when it is more people leave bad reviews (part of the reason you can no longer review before buying).

If we get developers willing to invest the time and energy into full games, it will be worth the increased price those games will demand, otherwise we will get $0.99 minigames forever

9. SudoWorks LLC

SudoWorks LLC Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    99ยข Mini Games fund future development.
    Sadly we don't all have the funding to put out a Halo quality "Killer App" from the get go. (as much as we would like to)

10. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    To me it looks like a stupid kids game, and the only reason I can partially understand the hype around it is that it's been made with iDevice controls in mind. A price drop might convince me to take the plunge however.
    You'd think if someone was going to make a game with the best controls seen on a device aimed at adults, they would make a more heavily adult oriented game?
    Still, anything to make money.

11. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    #11 tunawrap, Dec 20, 2008
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

.....wait you were serious? That's even funnier!

12. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    #12 Everydaynormalguy, Dec 20, 2008
    Dude, don't correct others' English. It's one of the rules, it REALLY is.
    If I remember correctly, Neil said no price drops within the first week of release, nothing else. I can't believe threads like these are still open. Seriously, others threads where people insult each other and debate over nothing are still open as well i.e. PSP games over $9.99. Facepalm is facepalm...

13. CloneWars

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    I know that.
    It had me very confused for a while, just clearing it up ;)

14. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    You can get banned for doing that though ;). I want to change my username to FacepalmIsFacepalm. It completely captures my emotions as of late...

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't think he was corecting anyone's English. It looks it was just a typo. I mix up my keys all teh item.

Anyhow, I don't think Rolando is going on sale anytime soon. I agree with Arn. Unless their sales are slipping, there's no reason to have a price drop.

16. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    You're right.

Remember developers, if you want your game to be good, don't use colorful graphics! Instead, make them dark... and add a bunch of guns. Maybe some sort of spaceship or something... with a gun. But remember, don't bring in a world-renowned artist. No, instead make it look really unattractive. That would be perfect.

Yeah, there we go. I'd buy that.

I mean, what are these guys thinking? Adults don't like color and "cute" things! Only children. If it's "cute" and well-designed at all, adults will stay away.

17. CloneWars

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Agreed on both accounts!
    I simply corrected a typo that i believed may confuse some users (helping the forum, right?
    And no price drop is in the horizon ;)

18. spyker3292

spyker3292 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    This is what the app store price trends have done, they made everyone so friken cheap. There are tons of $1 apps that should be way more, and some $5 or $10 apps that I would pay $15, or even $20 for (I'm looking at you Rolando, Sim City, and Warfare Inc.) because of how much polish and content is in them.