Universal Portal Knights (by 505 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Dec 6, 2017.

1. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    Wow, I feel so stupid. I had seen this game around on Steam but never bothered to look into it because I thought this was only an action rpg... the name and art style didn’t cue me in that there was crafting and building!!

That said, the lack of controller support reduces my interest.... this looks like a game I’ll completely fail at with touch controls. (It’s reassuring to see most people want to play this game with a controller too, I feel less like a noob now.)

Will probably try for 5 minutes on my iPhone X and then give up until they add controller support to play on my iPad Pro. I was somewhat traumatized when I tried running away from Creepers using touch controls on iPad (I didn’t even own a controller back then). Any 3D games that aren’t turn based NEED controller support in my opinion.

2. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Haha I agree. But the reason in this game why the touch controls fail so bad is because there’s 2 types going on at the same time. There’s virtual controller and then there’s touch (like you can touch to move somewhere and touch to act on something) if they would turn off the touch and put an option to switch depending on what we like it wouldn’t be so bad. But definitely this game needs controller support that and fix the compass in jorens outpost because I can’t continue the story to the second boss cause the portal is hidden well and the compass doesn’t work there for some reason.

3. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    I’m now experiencing the no deeds bug. I wasn’t before and I rerolled my universe earlier today and went back and now all deeds are gone.

4. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Finally got to the second boss through joren outpost . I can see anyone being like “this guys an idiot you can’t miss this portal it’s a giant statue of a mythical beast for god sakes. My first universe was bugged and that statue wasn’t there. Not the whole thing anyways so I couldn’t insert the gem to open the portal. After I rerolled though the whole statue was intact . For the most part rerolling your universe seems to be he best option for fixing bugs but it also broke my feed shop lol. So I say buy all the deeds then reroll just in case.

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Love Terraria, hate Minecraft. Love Zelda, hate Oceanhorn. This? This is the bastard lovechild of all the best bits from both, mashed together. Absolutely love it and having written it off on PC as a bit too ‘twee’ for my liking, I will definitely be making a full purchase ASAP.

So far no bugs encountered - agree that the control schemes could do with som tweaking. Would love to see 3D Touch enabled for attacking in first person mode. On touch screen, 3rd person works much better all round imo.

6. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    This is turning out to be my favorite ios game this year. Excellent, balanced, mashup that’s greater than the sum of its perfectly integrated parts. All wrapped in a pro-quality presentation.... ######

7. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Without mfi support this won't be on my Best of Year list. Needs it desperately. Any word yet? ##

8. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Only word I had is the developper themselves stating there was no MFi support and that they took note that it was requested, they did not promise to give it or anything.

Im sincerely no longer hoping for much

9. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    #109 slighmd, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Hope they fix the wonky A button. Running around while swiping on the right side of the screen drops whatever you’re holding. It makes navigating dark dungeons a chore and a major PITA. Because even if you’ve got a ton of torches, you eventually run out of them coz you’re dropping them everywhere randomly as you look around. Sometimes, they even drop even if you’re not touching the right side of the screen.

10. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    It’s because there’s 2 different control types working at the same time. Virtual control pad, and touch. It’s not really the A button that’s wonky it’s that you can Also tap on screen to do actions. You can tap to move places and tap to set things, etc. it should have been an option in settings not both working at the same time lol

11. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Lol so both control types at the same time. I agree, there should be an option to choose between them, since one is better when adventuring and fighting, while the other is better when building stuff. I hope the devs watch this thread and make the fixes/add these options.

12. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    anyone else’s phone just get volcanic level hot and battery melts just form starting this up?

13. zloty

zloty Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Not for me. iPhone SE here. About 2,5-3 hours of battery usage from 100%-5%

14. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #114 Gwarmaxx, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    not even here on 6S... much better than many other 3D games!

15. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    6s+.... it almost caught fire. Hottest a game has ever run.

On a side note, turn the graphics down on low and it cools off.

16. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    same iphone 7 plus here as soon as i load it up it feels like literal fire in my hands and the battery can lose 20 percent from like 5 mins of gameplay

17. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    New update! Added controller support for controllers with dual analogs and some other addons.

18. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    I was so excited to see this! I was sure they weren’t going to bother... and it’s great you can configure the controller to help with the issue mfi controllers lack all the buttons of an Xbox one.

Now all we need is iCloud saves... :)

19. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Been following this thread as I have been on the fence.

If I like action RPG's (like Oceanhorn) and am ok with light crafting (like Crashlands).....is this game a mix of both? Leaning towards diving in so any thoughts would be appreciated.

20. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    For sure. You CAN craft a house and storage bins, furniture, etc. but there are some crafting I feel is mandatory. Weapons and armor. So you will need to farm for materials but it’s not bad. Combat is fun. I haven’t played a mage yet but I played the rogue type and the warrior. The rogue was cool cause you can be a bowster, or daggers and throwing knives. But the rogue doesn’t have skills like the warrior and mage you can craft structures that allow you to create spells and war cries. If you have a strong device the game is BIG but if it’s a weaker device then you’ll have to play with a smaller universe. Which is still big just not as big. I highly recommend this game. It is oceanhorn gameplay/combat and Crashlands crafting. Plenty of side missions too. The boss battles are big and fun like oceanhorn

Son of Anarchy likes this.