Universal Poly Bridge (by Dry Cactus)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 14, 2017.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Two years too late, I just picked this up. I remember playing it on Steam the day it was released. Spending like 3 hours a day discussing all the game mechanics with one of the level designers on Twitch. It's like starting all over again now. To get right all those hydraulics and joints, it's gonna be a challenge.

I'm just surprised there are no user creations available. Like thousands of levels from other people. It was available on Steam from the beginning. iOS version has Sandbox mode from what I've briefly seen. It's kinda pointless to keep all the crazy creations just to ourselves, isn't it? Or is it available and I just missed it somehow?

2. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    for iOS version, user levels are unavailable.
    steam version uses steam's infrastructure(workshop?)
    for iOS, there is no server to manage user levels.

3. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @solarnya yep, I figured that out already. Kinda shame since the workshop offers basically endless replayability. Nevertheless, campaign contains of 100+ levels and I can see I forgot a lot about game's mechanics, so it'll take some time to solve everything. And I'm loving it. This is one of my favorite games of all time. And the music bring back memories. It fits perfectly. That guitar just sounds great. Money well spent. Btw, I could buy Bridge Constructor Bundle for the same price and get 4 games instead of one, but Poly Bridge is just superior in every single aspect imaginable. It's one of those gems I'll treasure forever.

DonnyDJ76 likes this.
  4. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    @macplash same.
    I have no regrets since I bought this game

macplash likes this.
  5. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate Well-Known Member

#25 DaveMApplegate, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    This game still controls my life :cool:

solarnya and macplash like this.
  6. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    It's such a pleasure to find out there are still fans out there whom enjoying the game as much as I do. I'm taking it slowly this time. Savoring each stage. Even making multiple saves with different solutions. And I didn't even start to play every level with unlimited budget and/or materials. This is never gonna leave my iPad. :)

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @macplash Anything you like I have to take a peak at to see if it interests me and I’ve never tried a bridge constructor game but you have said a lot of good stuff about it here.

8. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    You should try Bridge Constructor Portal. That is one fine game with unique mechanics and Portal humor.

ste86uk likes this.
  9. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk I disagree with @Brightsiderus - if you’re going for ultimate bridge construction game, go with this. Bridge Construction series is okay, the Portal addition is fine as well but takes the genre somewhere else. But overall it’s not as polished and soothing as this game.

Poly Bridge on the other hand is a construction masterpiece. And the music, OMG, the music. I started playing on Steam, met 2 of the level creators during the Twitch streams and got obsessed with this game. How clever and complex it is. And how beautiful. It’s ridiculous what can be done in it. I’d never even imagined the possibilities if I it wasn’t for those two guys to guide me.

It has huge campaign with increasing difficulty which will take you hours and hours to go through. And you’ll get stuck, scratching your head what to do. Level design is just brilliant the more you progress.

And btw, Poly Bridge 2 is coming next month! It won’t be available for iOS for quite a while I assume, but on Steam I probably never put any item on my wishlist faster than this when it was announced.

As said in another thread, this game never leaves my device ever. For iPad and Apple Pencil owners, this is an ultimate must-have. I know you gaming on iPhone, but blow off the dust from that old iPad of yours and try this one. It’s probably fine on phone as well because of zoom feature and whatnot, but you’ll be missing a lot of beauty and polish around. Or maybe it’s just me. Always prefer the bigger screen to play on.

ste86uk likes this.
  10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @Brightsiderus I see I just missed out on a sale on that one.

@macplash that all sounds good, thank you for sharing. Looks like this one never really goes on sale apart from once so probably going to be it’s price for a long while.

I’ve started checking games now and some I want that have been on sale a few times I’m just waiting for it to happen again.

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk yeah, I really wouldn't wait for sale if I were you. It's possible there'll be a sale with new version coming next month, but I don't think it'll affect iOS version's price. But you don't have to buy a bunch of games at once. Especially if not on sale. Just go with what you want to play at the moment. And the moment you'll crave for the best bridge construction game, just don't hesitate and go for this one. It'll be here waiting for you, it's not going anywhere.;)

ste86uk likes this.
  12. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #32 macplash, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    @ste86uk I don't know if this is the game you were referring to as one of those you picked up already, but in case you did, I highly HIGHLY recommend going through these two videos on basic and advanced hydraulics. These are from one of the level designers I mentioned earlier and are PRICELESS! I just worship this guy's knowledge on the matter, obviously.;)

---------
    EDIT> and just fyi, this is the 2nd guy I was talking about. You won't need any more resources and/or guidance than from these two.;)

ste86uk likes this.
  13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash it was craft the world but I’ll probably get this too as I keep looking at it and watched a review of it too. I’ll check those out before I start if/when I grab it.

macplash likes this.
  14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash it’s amazing, I emailed the dev just to ask about a sale incase I bought it and then it went on one with apps going on sale with these lockdowns and they sent me a promo code for the game!

That’s so cool of them to do I didn’t expect that at all, downloaded now and I’ll check it out tomorrow. Can’t wait.

macplash likes this.
  15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk LOL, how cool is that?:) I hope you’ll like the game then. It’s really great. And the soundtrack is amazing as well. Have a blast with it and don’t forget to go through those videos in case you’ll struggle. Enjoy!;)

ste86uk likes this.
  16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash I did watch one of them already but I think it will make more sense to me once I play the game a little first.

Very cool of them though, I’ll have to buy the second one now if they do bring it out on IOS. Been sunk into Battle Chasers Nightwar tonight but I’ll make time for this.

macplash likes this.
  17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk I’m sure the sequel will be ported to iOS eventually, but until then I’m gonna give it a proper attention on Steam. The moment it’s available I’m gonna dive right in. Just a few more weeks. Although I can’t imagine what could they possibly do to make it better as it already is. Which is pretty much perfect right now. So, I’m really curious. I guess I’m about to see soon. Yay!:)

ste86uk likes this.
  18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash so far so good and I’m liking it, is it just under budget and stress to worry about? No point trying to do it as cheaply as I can is there?

19. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk going under budget is one of the challenges during the Campaign mode. It's a 3-star system. Keep in mind you'll be able to play any level with unlimited resources and budget once you meet the original requirements. You can go over the top then and create pretty much whatever you like. The same goes for Sandbox mode but I'd go through the campaign first (or at least a portion of it). And keeping your cost as low as possible is the point of leaderboards. Although there are none in iOS version.

—-

Attached Files:

ste86uk likes this.
  20. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Yeh I’ve got 3 stars on them all so far but I’m only on level 7 and already not very good at it! I’ll have to watch those videos later maybe to help me out.