iPad Poll: What do you think about tilt?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by EricTong, Jan 27, 2009.

?

Do you think the mass market is ready to 'tilt'?

1. Yes! Totally! Keep it going!

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes! But the existing games haven't implemented it to my expectations.

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. Nah, it's more trouble than its worth.

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Other. Care to comment?

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. Hi, I'm interested to hear what your experiences and thoughts on the current games that uses the accelerometer feature. My current game uses tilting as the primary movement control, and I have resisted adding a touched based movement control as an add-on from the beginning. However, I've seen on forums and reviews asking for it. I think I will be adding it soon, but do you think the mass market is ready for some tilt action? Or do you think it's still in its infant stage?

I have a pending update at the App store, so I have lots of promo codes to unload. :) Just PM me.

2. ozron

ozron Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    IT Project Manager
    Melbourne, Australia
    Personally I've moved away from games that primarily use the accelerometer. I like it when they use it to do something different or unexpected. Maybe I haven't played enough games that use it really well, but I'm pretty much over it and tend to go more for touch control games myself.

3. Selina

Selina Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Kent, England
    #3 Selina, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    I agree with ozron - I much prefer touch-control games. :)

4. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It works, and I love it, but only for certain kind of games.
    For example, any flying game, racing game and rolling game (Rolando) needs tilt or I would not buy them.

But tilt shouldn't be used for platform games, eg. Bugdom (thank god they put the control pad in their recent update)

I think its a godsend for racing games especially, as you can't really get the same analogue control with touch (unless they use a slider bar but that's really inelegant)

5. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    By the way, I definitely think 2079 does NOT need touch. Your game is brilliant the way it is.

6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    i like subtle use of the accelerometer in games like flight sims, but for car games and of the like i much presser to press buttons to steer.

i love the 'Poll Position' steering wheel too.

7. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Can I ask why? I've always thought racing games are impossible without analogue steering, eg. Accelerometer, actual wheel or analogue joystick.

8. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    ++++1

9. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    There are some good games like Rolando and such, but if done well enough I've always liked touch controls, mainly because when I play, I'm usually in a car, and the turnings and shakes of the car while I'm in it make it hard for me to have a completely steady hand while playing. A game like Paradise: The Beginning is something I really would like (I dunno how to link to it >>; ), because it uses two joystick-type things on the screen, without making things too difficult.

In case you're wondering though, Paradise has controls very similar to Dropship, the only difference is that the controls on screen are in a fixed position.

10. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    #10 Phi6, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    Actually, if you look at it from the other perspective, I hate it when touch controls are bolted on to an iPhone game. The iPhone is not a PSP, so it makes no sense to make make the touch control like a traditional control pad.

For example, when I think about poorly implemented touch controls, I think Funky Punch. It's a D-Pad with 4 attack buttons. It's a ridiculous control system, because of the lack of tactile feedback.

More innovative touch controls should take advantage of the whole screen, or multi-touch. Why have buttons, when you can touch on the actual object itself?

For example, in toy-bot diaries, you touch the ledge where you want to grapple. You touch the bot, to turn on magnetism. The developers could have included on screen buttons to do these, but thats the "old way of thinking".

Likewise with Rolando, there could have been a button for jumping. But instead, you can swipe upwards ANYWHERE on the screen. And you touch the individual Rolando's to select them.

If I was the developer for Funky Punch, I would have scrapped the idea for virtual buttons completely, and probably would have gone for something more innovative like actually touching the part of the opponent's body you wanted to hit, or dragging your own person's fist/feet to the place where you wanted to attack. Much more suited to the touch screen eh?

I think as long as developers remember this, there can be a mix of touch and accelerometer based games that feel much more natural and take advantage of the unique hardware of the iPhone.

11. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    There are several games that have great tilt controls, take a look at Space Ninja and Blue Attack.

However, I´m not always in a position where I can use tilt. (In a car, walking, etc.)

So as far as I'm concerned, tilt is great and can be awesome on the iP/iPT, but a game can have more appeal (or: appeal to more people) with additional touch controls.

12. LizArd

LizArd Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Same here. I like it when it makes sense based on the gameplay. Otherwise it's more pain than it's worth!

13. Hi, thanks for the feedbacks so far. Anyone else like to chime in? I got more promo codes to give! :)

14. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Tilt has to be done practically, and be customizable. A racing game, or something like 2079 has it right, but it has no place in puzzle games, or similar. It depends, but most of the games that use the accelerometer are very gimmicky.

15. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    In games like 2079 (!) and Blue Attack - i can't imagine NOT using tilt. You and John got it right. Don't let badly implemented tilt by less talented developers throw u off.

16. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I don't like turning tilt controls, especially in driving games, because I don't want my screen to move. Tilt controls on Nintendo Wii are inaccurate, but turning the iPhone (and your view of the game) is even worse.

But there are a few games, that work quite well with tilt controls. SolarQuest, 2079, Blue Attack and Space Ninja for example. At least you don't have to turn the screen to the left and right in those games.

17. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

And options are nice. And I have to commend Snail Mail and Blue Attack for including both. Sometimes tilt is just impossible, like when in a car, or a bus, or a train. It depends, which is why car rides are my Tanzen time, and at home is when I'm not moving, so tilt games are ok. I don't mind the screen moving, it is the rest of me moving, which throws off the accelerometer, which is the problem.

18. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I am somewhat of a newbie to iPod touches entirely (got mine 30 days ago) so I've been downloading apps left and right. For the most part, I enjoy the tilt function of "some" games. I hate when the tilt function is forced into the game just so it can be said that it uses the accelerometer.

If a game requires tilt, or can be made better by tilt, then by all means it should use it. But if it's a game that can go either way, then I think that we should be given an option. A recent candidate for this subject would be a game called "Ivory tiles" where you slide blocks over targets. It's hard to go without making a mistake when using tilt, but luckily enough we are given the option to use touch, which makes the game much more playable.

Bottom line: As long as the game isn't hampered, tilt is nice. I enjoy having the option to try both tilt and touch in a same game, but I don't know how much work that means for devs. I hate forced tilt, having a game with tilt just to say that it has it, but doesn't really work for it, is the worst.

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Depends on what type of game it happens to be.

For me, I prefer the accelerometer for racing games, flying combat/sims, and "balance board" games like the marble games (including Hydro Tilt and Super Monkey Ball).

For puzzle games, platformers, and such I prefer touch controls.

Now, there are those who don't dig motion sensing for racers (these people, IMHO, are weirdos and must be avoided at all costs ;)). I don't agree with them at all, but I can understand their position. At the very least the better racers on this platform give users the OPTION of accelerometer or touch controls (except, somewhat lamentably, Fastlane Street Racing).

So, in the end, best bet is to give the end user the OPTION. As such, longer time in development, but better product all around.

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't buy this.

Accelerometer sensing on iTouch/Phone isn't inaccurate at all. It depends on the developer. Same as Wii.

Is it 1:1? No. But, then again, technically, neither is any control method.

Some of the better racers have screen tilt, so that when you tilt the device in a steering wheel motion the screen orientation stays centered. Also, you can set sensitivity so you don't have to tilt so far. Again, OPTIONS. Devs need to learn to give US, the consumer, the option to set things to our individual likings.