iPad Poll: More fps ? (first person shooters)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by yourofl10, Dec 26, 2008.

?

Does there need to be more first person shooters?

1. Yes

83.0%
  2. no

9.4%
  3. Maybe

7.5%
  1. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    #1 yourofl10, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
    im looking for more fps games that are 3D like cube and alienmangle<spelling? because those games are realy awsome and i want more of them (pm me and post here for the games)

2. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    I want more Alien Mangle. Not so much Cube but Alien Mangle would be good.

3. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    lol, same.

To the OP:
    There IS zombie mansion.....hehe

4. kadjisan

kadjisan Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Completely agree. It would be quite interesting for someone to incorporate a dual virtual joystick for a future first person game. It will feel much more natural as most modern console games for the FP genre, utilize dual thumb sticks.

5. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Zombie mangle is also coming out, that will be even more fps fun.

6. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    dude ill let it slide because you are a n00b here but AlienMangle and ZombieMangle are the same game. Zombie Mangle couldnt get approved, so Phart Games (the dev) changed the blood to greenish blue and made the zombies aliens.

7. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Really, no way! I thought that Apple disapproved that, and it was being replaced by AlienMangle. Wow, I'll be getting this then.

/endsarcasm

8. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Dude shut up, this person just joined here. Cut him some slack.

9. brewstermax

I know that, but really. Lurk around a bit, first, and all this is prevented. Sorry.

10. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    you are forgiven.

11. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Dual thumbsticks would be cool, but there is the problem of how to fire.

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Don't listen to the people saying to get Zombie Mansion. It's unfortunately a terrible excuse for an FPS.

Anyway, there are other shooter games like Brothers In Arms. This isn't a *first person* shooter, but it's third person(it's still definitely worth $10).

I think a solid FPS title would be excellent because the iPod can use the tilt function for aiming, swiping/sliding/tapping for moving, jumping and other things like that. The iPhone is truly the perfect device for an FPS game because it is capable of games that need those functions for a more realistic feel than aiming with a joystick and moving around with a control pad.

I'm sure if someone came out with a high quality FPS game, they'd get lots of attention and plenty of paying customers. :)

13. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Uhhhm yaaa, I think FPS's might be more suited for the PS3/Xbox 360. iphones just can't handle a FULL FEATURED console type FPS

14. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #14 istopmotion, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
    You know what I meant. It's pretty obvious no one could/would release a game like Call of Duty on the iPhone. I was talking about any high quality, full length FPS that would use the iPhone's abilities to the fullest.

15. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Right now I don't think iPhone has the capacity to run such a game at a decent framerate, and even then controlling a first person shooter is going to be a lot easier on traditional consoles and computers. To incorporate all of the features of a modern fps is impossible on iPhone right now - personally I think developers should stick to games that match the platform's strengths (WiFi connectivity, location services, simple pick up and play gaming, save on quit, accelerometer, multitouch), rather than cram in a full fps onto the device.

16. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Gameloft did a great job on BIA and demonstrated it was possible to make a high quality iPhone game through Brothers in Arms and Hero of Sparta. Those games are better than some NDS games you can buy and a third of the price! As long as the game is done correctly and uses the iPhone to its fullest (for example Trism), it could very well end up being an excellent full featured (for an iPhone) FPS. And to be quite honest, I wouldn't mind paying $15-25 for a game like that.

17. different

Aug 8, 2008
    BIA is not a true FPS. It's a path based shooter with some finicky controls (gameplay videos show the touch looking to be a little slow). It does look great visually.

HoS I bought, and yes the presentation is some of the very best on iPhone - however the game chokes when there are many enemies onscreen. Again it's not a FPS, it's a platformer/hack and slash. The controls do work well for me, although the analog nub can be a little imprecise.

The games you mentioned are good quality games but they are not FPS games, which is what we are discussing. :)

Bear in mind a modern FPS has many different elements - move, look, strafe, fire, jump, weapon select, alt fire - are usually the staples. Such a control scheme would cover the iPhone with buttons, masking most of the gameplay - take anything away and people will start to complain that they can get a much better FPS elsewhere.

18. brewstermax

It's not really a question of whether the iPhone is capable of it, the question is is it practical with the smallish screen, and no hard controls. FPS is a genre that is difficult to make playable on iPhone. Not because of hardware/ framerate, but the lack of controls. I would take an Apple made d-pad that can attach to the iPod and that would be great. But no, Apple, I do not want an integrated d-pad and analog sticks. I want a snapon attachment, which the devs can use the SDK to support. The hardware on the iPhone is amazing, and surpasses all other mobile phones in real performance. The BB Bold claims a faster processor, but do you see NDS quality games there? No. It has integrated graphics, and less RAM. This opens the iPhone to compete, but maybe after the WWDC, and we'll see how it all unfolds.

19. PHARTGAMES

PHARTGAMES Well-Known Member

Just so you guys know, there won't be a ZombieMangle, AlienMangle is ZombieMangle, just with green blood.

Apple make me a sad panda.

Thx

20. different

Aug 8, 2008
    I agree with your latter point, and this is the point I was trying to make before - lack of physical controls. It's both a strength and weakness of the iPhone.

As for whether iPhone is capable of a FPS - no, it isn't. Cube demonstrates jerky framerate even with a few enemies onscreen. HoS chokes in the same way. The only 3d games I've played that are silky smooth are simple games like Super Monkey Ball, Snail Mail, CroMag Rally and BiiBall.

Obviously, hardware advancements are inevitable, and it's a matter of time until Apple release a 500Gb iPhone with a very fast, power efficient processor, blah blah. Right now, it's not capable.