Poll: Do you like Rolando?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by brewstermax, Dec 27, 2008.

?

Do you like Rolando

1. Yes

209 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. No

98 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Wouldn't buying Rolando destroy all your fans who are following you by not buying it? :p

Um, I think it's a pretty fun game. I guess you could get it if you wanted, but I don't know if you'll like it.

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    True. But I can make a compromise: I buy Rolando and list every single thing that is wrong with it, leave a negative review at the appstore, and add it to the "worst games of the year" thread that is yet to be made :D

3. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    I like it. I wasnt too hyped up about it before its release but I did buy it. I found it to be an amazing game. i love it and I voted YES.

4. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Lol :D

So, does anyone TRULY hate it after buying it? I don't think many regret it after buying.

5. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    love it love it. Great game.

6. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Bought it a week later. First impressions were that this game has been polished to a huge degree and has a level of finish and presentation that has been missing from most 1.0 games. The cutesy chat between the Rolandos; the music and sound effects; the control methods; even the level select is refreshingly different.
    Afew days later, I haven't played it as much as I would have thought. I'm actually playing Tiki Towers with my wife more than Rolando. I think its because TT makes you think and experiment with different designs more, and rewards accordingly. Also, I didn't play too far in Rolando because my wife would always start the game at my latest level, without really knowing how to control the commandos etc. So she got abit confused about the whole game. I think having seperate profiles would be a good solution. Is that difficult to arrange?
    Anyway, back to topic: This game is really well finished, and agree with others that there should be downloadable content or variants of gameplay. Has anyone else imagined a Rolando pinball mini-game? :)

7. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    i like it enough but im not jumping up and down

8. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I was jumping up and down awaiting the release. I woke up on Dec. 18, and bam, reviews, news, and everything ready to digest. It was great, and I loved the hype, to an extent. It got a little crazy at the end, but still. Oh, and the game is nice too. It was a great thing for the iPhone as a platform. It generated the excitement that would have people waiting outside Walmart if it were boxed. It generated the excitement of an iPhone upgrade and people waiting to get it. I don't care what you think about the game, the hype was great for the platform to be viable to devs. And the release method means unlimited supply. This is perfect, and now EA, SEGA, and other big names know it. Come on Nintendo, its your turn to jump in the fray.

9. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^ Thank you for that somewhat irrelevant rant...Can someone make a thread about how long it takes to complete the game? Some say it takes 3 hrs but others say more. I'm still not sure about buying this...Hey BMax, where is my Slingshot code? (I'm kiddin')...

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

What does Nintendo have that EA and Sega don't have? Yep, their own hardware. They're as likely to release anything for the iPhone as they are for the PSP. ;)

--Eric

11. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    hmm.. if im worth the voice... i dont think you'd like it.

it's a little cutesy patootsie. in any case, have you played LOCO ROCO before or at least seen videos of it? how did those little things make you feel?

12. brewstermax

I don't have anymore, thanks. It is semi irrelevant, but you started it. I say about 5 hours first go, and about another 3 to get all of the medals.

13. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I would say 5-6 hours. To get the most experience out of it, play 4 or 5 levels a day and you will get your moneys worth.

14. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Loco Roco is somewhat fun. Something I would play if no one's around. I never did buy that game, just downloaded the demo off the playstation store. But come on, those things were really annoying with their singing and bouncing.

I'm never gonna let that go, you sir cheated me out of applying the laws of physics to destroy things. 5 hrs don't seem that bad.

Cool. The thing is, with these kind of games, once you start playing there's no way you'll stop after X number of levels.

15. brewstermax

EDNG, I couldn't talk myself into playing for more than a level or two at a time. I dunno why, maybe just a short attention span, but really it frustrated me, and the little balls made me put it down. Got my moneys worth, and warmed up to it, and then played it nonstop. A must have on any iPod or iPhone.

16. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    well the singing never gets THAT bad with rolando. and the rolandos and walls are NOT squishy/deform as it does with LOCOROCO.

it has a lot more depth in a way that you cant compact the rolandos together. you select the rolandos and move them at once or by group.

sorry if im off-shooting to locoroco but since it's close to rolando and that's what you're familiar with, im doing it.

i think im not as into it as with locoroco because it doesnt have my R and L buttons. the same problems i have with arcade style games on the appstore lacking "physical" buttons

17. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    @BMax:

LOL whut? If you couldn't "talk yourself into playing this game more than 2 lvls at a time" then how can you still have such a high opinion of the game? Either you are a liar or I'm not understanding you right.

@Superbad:

Everyone knows squishy things are the way to go :cool:. On topic, well, no physical buttons is a bummer but this game was specifically design to NOT use any kind of buttons so that alone is pretty cool.

18. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I agree with these comments.

It sounds weird, but for me it just felt right to play only ~6 levels a day. I normally can't discipline myself either when it comes to playing games, but for this one I just knew "I'm going to enjoy this so much more if I take the time for each level and try to finish it with all diamonds + all Rolandos. I won't be able to do that in the first run every time, but it will make me get the most out of every level." Then after finishing the level, I'd go back to get the other achievements. I did that until halfway through the 3rd world, then I decided to first do all levels and go back for achievements later. This way you get 100% achievement and 100% enjoyment.

If you rush through the game to get to the end of all 36 levels ASAP then that´s fine, as long as you go back to get the achievements.

19. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    one of the best games of the year, let alone for this "console"

i dont have a problem with people not liking the game, totally your call but some of you are expecting way too much out of this platform. and for 10 bucks, what do you expect?

maybe a lot of you are kids with allowances and what have you, but hell, ive dropped close to $300 on the app store and its nothing compared to the enjoyment and replay value i've got out of them. mind you, i have a habit of buying almost every music program like noise.io, beatmaker, rjdj, bloom, synthpond, etc etc. but maybe it doesnt seem so bad to me because i've actually used my iphone in a club setting, creating music on the go...and ending up getting paid for doing it. basically i couldnt be more happy with the products i've paid for and i would pay 20 bucks for an experience like rolando (if there was user created levels ala n+ and maybe even a multiplayer element)

20. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    On iTunes list of 100 top paid games Rolando dropped to number 23 over the holidays - it never even cracked the top 5... hopefully we'll see a price drop soon?