Polarbit slams pirates for takedown of Android version of Reckless Racing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Toad In The Hole, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Toad In The Hole

Toad In The Hole Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
    #1 Toad In The Hole, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    Polarbit have taken down the Android version of Reckless Racing due to [​IMG] which means they now have to increase online capabilities and also now add further security measures.

Read here for full story:

[​IMG]

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Unfortunate, but not at all surprising.

3. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    The Android Marketplace is a ****ing mess.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So what does this mean for the iPhone version? The App Store is more popular, but so is the piracy. I doubt it's just the Android version they're losing money on, yet that's the one they take down?

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Because if it's like most paid Android apps they've probably sold about 4 copies and had it pirated 10,000 times.

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I think I read somewhere that it's much easier to pirate apps on Android phones. I don't even think you need to jailbreak or modify any software, you simply drag and drop the cracked files onto your device. So even though the App Store piracy is bad, it's nothing compared to piracy rates for android phones.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    It's incredibly easy to pirate Appstore games, it's just that iPhone games are now so popular with the public they're willing to just buy the game outright.

The Android marketplace was always a mess from the beginning, and they've just never gotten over that hump.

8. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #8 Grubjelly, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    That must explain both the multiplayer and leaderboard access lag that has gotten much worse over the past couple of days. At the beginning, the game would display a message immediately after beating a world lap record, but today I had to wait another 30-60 seconds before the bell went off after taking back Trasher Hill for the 3rd time. Afterwards I went to show my girlfriend the leaderboard, but it took so long to update that we gave up. Hopefully Polarbit won't use the android piracy as an excuse not to expand the idevice (or universal) servers, since the existence of piracy will be a common denominator of most server overloads for virtually any game that fails to block illegitimate access.

9. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Unless you are pirating music, I don't support it. LOL

10. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I am not L O L ing

11. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Software dealings-with-er, Illustrator
    Central NC
    Surely you are at least R O F L C O P T E R ing?

12. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    would love to have my game(s) ported to droid, and just let them sit there for free anyway, at this point. Maybe release for 1.99 and then switch to free after a few weeks, or outright just let it go free and scoop up extra DLs.

Esp. with this piracy situation, it doesn't seem worth it to be a little studio and try to actually make $$ over there, but at least getting your name out there would be good, and maybe if a little press picked up, it could actually transfer to a couple of iPhone version sales.