Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Congrats on the Editor's Choice 4.5/5 review on 148apps. :)

2. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Woah that's heavy. :eek:

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I dintput them side by side and compared them that way. Instead, i compared them on their impact on me based on Presentation, Controls, Difficulty, Replayability, Content and most of all, Fun Factor.

For presentation, both are superb, but i prefer Polara because of the punk theme and the darker story arc as opposed to the typical cartoony Rayman style.

As with controls, both are very responsive at what they do, but Rayman limits control(both in error and in success) over movement by making absolute angles and heights when you hit bumps and springs.

Difficulty. Rayman levels are either too difficult to 100%, or they can be too easy. Also, if you dont care about getting 100%, Rayman is total cakewalk. Polara still is a good balance of moderate difficulty, and ramps it up with trying to 100% each level.

Replayability. Endless mode wins it for Polara. Without that, most of the replayability will come from repeating levels, and that applies to both games.

As for Content, Polara has a lot more to offer due to more game modes.

Then lastly, Fun Factor. This one is a bit of a tossup, as I had a blast playing both games. But ultimately, Rayman was all about replaying to get 100% completion, which can get tiring at a certain point. Polara breaks this monotony by offering multiple game modes, in which you have multiple GC leaderboards as well.

That's how i compared both games. In my opinion, it's the only way to compare 2 games with minor similarities but have massive innovations in each one.

4. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Best side runner I've played in awhile. Good difficulty spread as well: checkpoints are very generous but it's very hard to get perfect runs. And having a lot of endless modes really pushes it beyond most side-runners.

5. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Darnit HTW!! I was doing so well avoiding buying new games. I have too many that I haven't gotten through yet, but this looks too good to pass up! And I got curious and got the lite version of Kunundrum. Now I'm afraid I'll need to buy the full version of that too!

6. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I understand why games aren't all designed for the iPhone5 yet, I get the timing. The reason you miss jumps is because if your finger presses on the side of the screen, it doesn't register. The black borders aren't just visual, they act as a dead zone. You have to constantly be aware of pressing inside the play field, even a very little bit outside of it, in the black border, and your input isn't recognized. This isn't a knock on this game specifically, just a broad statement about games requiring precision on this platform.

7. .THOTH.

.THOTH. Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Credit counselor :(
    Tacoma, WA
    This game is truly superb, it deserves everyone's attention. I love the challenge level and I especially love the different challenges for each level. These guys put out a great puzzle game with Kunundrum and now they have a completely unique runner with some depth; very impressive!

8. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Great enldess runner. I didn't expect much, but I was very wrong.

9. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Loved this game!
    But on iPod Touch 4th it has some (fatal) recurrent lags. :|

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It isnt endless until you unlock the endless modes.

11. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    5 STARS

Im very impressed with this game and Ive only scratched the surfarce.

My ios addictions:polara,Burrito Bison,Wimp,God of Blades,A-Max,Irrupt, Nba 2k13

12. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    #92 lena, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    Thanks! That, combined with no IAP, responsive dev, the not too big filesize and the low price made me buy the game.

I played the first five levels and am really liking it so far. It runs great on my iPad 1 too. Am very grateful for the many savepoints.

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Just had a sweet run in the Random - Normal mode. #1, baby! :cool:

It's a shame seeing so few people on GameCenter though, this is one hell of a game. Although I don't think the... striking... Icon helps.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Also gotta think about how long it'll take people to unlock all those modes...

Might be a week or so before there's any real competition on them

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The first extra mode I started playing only after I finished the first 2 story missions... Can't be that long.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #96 Exact-Psience, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    Was just done completing 9th mission 100%. Now to see this boss fight everyone's talking about.

EDIT: Woh, that was cool how the enemy attacks you and how the game incorporates your moveset to battle it out. Nice... cant wait to see what gimmicks other bosses have.

17. Got two questions, since endless runners usually go freemium or free very quickly, what makes this game different in that aspect? I read SVs review, and it states no iap, but is there a way for this game to convert to freemium easily?

Also, is this game ipad retina? Looking at videos it seems not, but I would like to know since runners I am extra picky on since we get so many for free,that new ipad retina would be a must for me.

I bought temple run brave to support the developer, blood roofs cause it looks cool, and dont with a plasma sword because I liked it, but usually don't make it a policy to buy endless runners.

But I would like rayman, and this game seems cool too, especially cause I like kunundrum.

Cheers.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    The way the game's designed, I don't think you'd have to worry about this going freemium. There's no upgrade system required. Only thing they could possibly change is making the extra modes IAPs.

But the dev seems very adamant about not having IAPs at all so I feel pretty confident that this will not go freemium.

I'd also say, since the price is going to go up, get this game NOW. It's incredible and the content is enormous for the $.99 asking price.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    1. Without IAPs or external ads the devs cannot survive if they go freemium as there isnt a way to earn from there.

2. This is currently on a release promo, so you might want to take advantage of that.

3. Going cheap on a $1 game of this quality is a crime.

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    ++++1

This game seriously should have started at $2.99. Easily worth that.