Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Done, being taken care of as I type. We made a new one that isn't so harsh on the eyes :)

Thanks for the compliments man! We're really happy you're enjoying the games.

2. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    BTW everyone, just wanted to let you guys know that we're doing a promotional pricing tier. This introductory price is a limited time thing. So make sure you tell your friends to get on this deal asap. It will be going up to 2.99 in the near future!

We gotta eat too ;)

3. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Don't worry Jimmay, been there man. It's all right you wanted to let off some steam :)

The world is an odd place...trying to save it is even more baffling ;)

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You might want to add that on the app description too if it isnt too late. While you're at it, you might want to add a good way of saying there arent any IAPs, but at the same time not make it look like a con :D

Great stuff here.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wow. Only played the first three levels, but I an already see this as being on the top of my list for horizontal runners. Awesome gameplay and quite challenging. I can see why Exact-Psience is only on level 5 if he's going for perfection before moving on.

Fantastic game!

6. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Good idea, going to do that RIGHT now. The IAP thing...I dunno how to state that really hahaha I'll think on it!

Thanks for the compliments man, have fun :D

7. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I think (personal opinion of course) stating no in-app purchases is a great thing. I've seen some games state up front **No in-app purchases** and that usually catches my attention. But I'm not sure if this is good in the end or not.

8. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Saw this and thought it looked interesting but passed on it because i assumed it was going to be rife with IAP's. But, no IAP's? Sold. Downloading...

9. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Really? What made you think it might have IAPs just so we know what to avoid or correct next time.

10. swordofsilence

swordofsilence New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    I played the first 11 levels and it was a blast! This game is well polished and is a great value even at $2.99.

If I had to offer constructive criticism, the only thing I would change is adding support for the iPhone 5 bigger screen. Still plays great as it is though.

Hope this helps anyone sitting on the fence on this one.

11. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Please add retina support for iPad 3

12. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    The fact that it costs $0.99? That's the biggest giveaway of an IAP infested game.

Actually, if you don't want to explicitly state the game has no IAPs, you guys better just get to $2.99 soon. At $2.99, people will automatically be less suspicious of IAPs.

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    This game has no IAP. Which in a sense is a shame. Let me clarify:

If this game had IAP for example say £1.49 x amount of coins or whatever, I'd stay away from that IAP.

But if it had a 'Support the dev' button, like a tip hat of sorts, to reward fine work and help to allow the dev to continue to make fine works.. I would lovingly caress that button. If I could find it. :p

14. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    Run..not blindly ahead..use your wits and be quick..this is NOT your average runner.
    You will die..alot.
    Will you beat me? Maybe not.
    Ha! This game is soo in its own class..nice work guys!
    Please yell if you like it..LOUD..!

15. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hey, has anyone realized that you can control the jump intensity? The longer you press the higher you jumping, like in Canabalt.

Can the devs please just drop a hint as to how many different intensities are there, and how can we control these jumps?

Thanks!

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Interesting perception. Personally, I haven't found this to be a guide at all; the vast majority of paid games are 99c, with IAP or without.

In any case, the lack of IAP is the sole reason I ended up picking up this game, in spite of a number of off-putting factors.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You know exactly how I feel about you, so this isn't meant to be a jab, a snarky remark or anything towards you; I've always gotten your battle/stance against IAPs, but lately it seems like you're deliberately trying to find faults in all iOS games. I know that's not entirely true...the Irrupt thread proves otherwise, but yeah...it somewhat seems like you're tired of iOS gaming as a whole.

18. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    Really loving this game. I've been experimenting with the ikaruga mechanic over the years but this nails it beautifully.

Any chance of an iPhone 5 ver? It reminded me that the thing that's most annoying about non iPhone 5 games is not the restricted visuals, but the fact that the outside letter box area doesn't respond to touch. Had the same issue with Super Hexagon.

Anyway not a criticism! Superb game, great job guys :)

19. sortvind

sortvind Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    fun game and concept, i dont mind the loading ad.
    but i must say, that game logo is among the worst i seen 0_0

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... Lately Gabrien's just being too b****y about game faults. But despite that, it has gave me some feedback on some games i was on the fence on, so this isnt a complaint of sorts. Just sayin.