iPad PokerTower - (by Raphael Blanchet)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Is it available in European App Store? I can't find it in the polish one...

2. Great addition Raphael! I'll give it a shot for sure.

3. Raph3Arts

Raph3Arts Well-Known Member

Thanks Dominic! :) You'll be able to play with your girlfriend haha! ;)

It's supposed to be available worldwide! That's weird though that you can't find it! Did you searched it with or without the space ("PokerTower")?

4. Raph3Arts

#104 Raph3Arts, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    Hi guys!

The biggie update has just been approved for release by Apple, so you are supposed to see it anytime soon on the App Store!! :D Also, to celebrate the release of the update and Easter day, the game will be free until April 1st!

The update will allow you to play online against friends or anyone else from around the world in the brand new versus mode!

Enjoy, and hoping to see you all online! :D

P.S I'm always open to any comment/suggestions! And another game mode is also coming soon, so stay tuned!

5. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Nice! Updated my review on the AppStore and look forward to trying the new mode.

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Just installed PokerTower on my iphone 4S running 5.1.1, there's a major bug: I opted to begin the tutorial; when it reached the first interactive portion, asking me to try tapping cards, the playfield was empty. No cards to tap; therefore no way to advance in the tutorial. I had to force-quit.

7. Fazeo

Fazeo New Member

May 19, 2012
    I just ran across the same bug.

8. Raph3Arts

#108 Raph3Arts, Mar 31, 2013
    Wow, that's a really weird bug that sneaked in! I just fixed it, will send to Apple ASAP, asking them to release it the soonest possible!

Thanks and I'm really sorry for that weird bug!

Edit : Sent! You should see it around wednesday/thursday this week!

9. jakemat94

jakemat94 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for the bug fix! I was about to come and say something on here but saw you handled it already.

10. Raph3Arts

#110 Raph3Arts, Mar 31, 2013
    No problem ^^ I hope you're liking the game even with the bug :/

11. Raph3Arts

Hi guys,

I sent this morning an expedited review request to Apple, and the update just entered In Review a moment ago, so it shouldn't take long for Apple to release the new version of the app which, we hope, should be flawless :)

Once again, we really apologize for those weird bugs, and we really hope you still enjoy the game and its new Versus Mode!!

Have a good day, and I will alert you as soon as Apple approve the update!

12. Raph3Arts

Update finally approved by Apple after 4 days "In Review" Should be available really soon!

We apologize for all the troubles, really :(

13. Raph3Arts

Hey, long time no see! :D

Sorry for my lack of presence recently, got some big projects/exams at school, so didn't got any time for the game!

So, what do you guys think about the new update!? Is the new game mode fun to play? I'd really like to get your opinions guys, and also, if you ever have an idea for a new game mode, don't be shy and tell us, we'd really like to know your idea!! If you do so, maybe we'll give a little reward to the best idea? ;)

Have a nice day guys!

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Still really enjoying this one. On the few occasions I've tried to play the new mode, Game Center didn't find anyone to connect me with after a few minutes. I'll have to give it another try soon and be more patient.

Keep up the good work!

15. Raph3Arts

Hi guys! :)

Just passing by to announce you that the game is now free to download (and maybe will stay like that forever!) So enjoy the game everyone, if you ever have any inquiries please tell us, it will be a pleasure to help you out and fix anything we have to!! :)

Have a good night!

16. Raph3Arts

Hey folks! :)

We got an idea here at 3Arts, and we'd like to hear what your think about it! So, we got the idea to create a new app, based on PokerTower, that would take the survival mode and push it at its limit, a little bit like Dungeon Raid, but with cards.

So, we would add classes, skills, items, stats, etc. like a real RPG, and the app would be free, with some IAPs. To unlock classes and skills, you would have to level up your profile (or buy it with gold gain in-game, we're not sure), and IAPs would be there only to make it faster for those who don't want to grind.

What you guys think? Would it be something you'd get?

Thanks in advance!

17. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Who wants to grind? Grinding is inherently boring. That's basically the big problem with Dungeon Raid (and Dungeon Story), too. The mechanics might be fun, but they quickly become a huge grindfest (just as so many RPGs out there). And the IAP might shorten the grind, but it's still there.

So, to me this concept sounds much less enjoyable than the original Poker Tower, which btw is a great game.

18. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yes, Dungeon Raid is a brilliant game but when they added all of the unlocks that you have to grind for, that was the worst idea ever.

19. Raph3Arts

Thanks for your comments guys! I agree with you all, grinding is really boring, but I think I misused (can I say that?) the word. What I want to do goes like this :

-You start with 3 classes; Warrior, Wizard and Rogue
    -Every game, you gain exp for the class you played with, unlocking skills and perks, and gold, allowing you to buy more classes and scrolls for the customizable class
    -We plan to create around 15 classes, and you'll have three slots for customizable classes, which will be highly priced!
    -IAPs would be for buying extra gold, or unlocking classes and skills

So, grinding wouldn't be as hardcore as Dungeon Raid (which, I agree, is really intense). In fact, you would only need a game or two to get the gold you need to buy a new class or a new skill.

What do you now think of my "grinding" RPG? :)

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #120 undeadcow, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    For a match-3 puzzle game mechanics will be straight forward. I don't see how the word "grinding" applies to the limited mechanics in a match-3 like PokerTower or DungeonRaid. If you enjoy it you'll like repeatedly playing it because it's challenging and fun even if you're matching the same old tiles/cards over and over. I enjoyed DungeonRaids unlockable classes etc because they added some variety after you had been playing for a while and kept things fresh.

What I don't like about Ralph's proposal is the gold mechanic. I think gold feels like an attempt to shoehorn IAP into a pre-existing game; which might be justified if that's what needs to be done to make a fair profit. However, as a player I would prefer unlocks be tied to achievements (i.e. defeat Mini-Boss 1 to unlock Fireball spell). With gold just repeatedly playing unsuccessfully nets some reward with merit based unlocks there could be a sense of super elusive perks just out of reach (i.e. I've got to defeat the Dark Lord so I can unlock the Super Arch Mage and try a New Game+ with that guy).