iPad PokerTower - (by Raphael Blanchet)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Great game Raph3arts!

My wife is a big fan of match-3s and she's totally hooked to it - she likes the no timer mode so that she can play at her pace.

Highly recommended to anyone on the fence about it, well worth the dollar.

2. Raph3Arts

Raph3Arts Well-Known Member

Hi DungeonPlunder,

I'm really glad to hear that you both like the game ^^ It's also nice to meet another dev from Quebec! Just looked up at you trailer, looks nice! Will probably support you too! :)

3. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #43 m44, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    I'm #1 in survivor right now :D 325,350 Come get you some :p

Gotta quit playing this and go to bed. I'll probably be making color straights in my sleep.

Really fun game, I highly recommended it. The untimed survivor mode really takes this game over the top for me. 9/10 stars! Great for long or short sessions, perfect casual game.

4. Raph3Arts

Wow awesome score!! :D I'm really glad to know that some of you guys actually really love our game :)

Spread the words! :D

5. Raph3Arts

Hi guys! Long time no talk *hmm hmm*!

I've just started a brand new contest for the game, and even if you already bought the game, it's possible for you to participate by following this link (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2703465) and follow the required steps!

Good luck! :)

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Really enjoying this one. Highly recommended if you're at all a fan of poker and/or match-3 games. The different game modes seal the deal.

7. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I keep trying to give a 5 star rating on the App Store and I'm getting this "to review this item you must purchase or download it". But the icon says "open" and not "0.99" . . . Weird right? Tried getting on my computer and rating through iTunes, same deal :( I left a rating for Mikey Shorts (just to make sure I wasn't "banned" or something) and that one went through.

Anybody else having this problem? (My Internet connect is junk, so the problem might be me and not the App Store). Either way, I'll try again later.

8. Did you get a code for it or did you purchased it yourself? You can't rate games you received through a code.

9. Raph3Arts

Wow that's weird! :O Are you sure you downloaded the game with the right account? Maybe you are trying to rate it with the account you didn't downloaded the game with?

10. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Unfortunately iTunes doesn't allow you to leave a review if you downloaded the game via a promo code.

11. Raph3Arts

Seriously..? :( That's really sad, I was counting on my testers and winners of yesterday's contest to give me some reviews! :(

12. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks guys, I did't know about the promo code thing. I did win a promo code, and that must be the problem.

My 5 star rating stands tho. I'll just have to gift the app to a friend and they can write a good review :)

13. appyboy

appyboy Active Member

May 15, 2011
    Environmental Planner
    New Zealand
    Does this have background music option?

14. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    How does this compare to sword and poker?

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Apple previously allow promo code redeemers to write reviews but unfortunately that changes about a year ago. However, those individuals can still generate buzz on Touch Arcade by posting impressions.

16. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to write a review for PokerTower after getting it through a promo code. Thats too bad, because I'm enjoying it a lot!

Plus, I wanted to enter the contest... :(

17. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #57 m44, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    You can listen to your own music :) (I just tried it with the TA podcast).

I'm not sure about the comparison to Sword and Poker (haven't played that one yet.) But I can tell you a little more about survival mode.

Basically, you face opponents with an attack number, health number, and cool down number. (You have 100 health and attack every turn).

A monster with a cool down of 4, will attack every 4 turns. They always do the same amount of damage, until their health is depleted.

You lower their health (and raise yours) with huge hands. Small hands like pairs do light damage, but, don't heal you.

You never see the monsters (it's text based) but their vital stats are shown (cool down bar, ect.) It's actually really fun and strategic.

But the survivor mode is only 25 percent of the game. I'm nuts about it (like three hours last night worth :) ) but other people might like a different game mode more. I just really like taking my time to make best play, that why survivor clicked with me.

18. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Ok, that sold me! :) (Looks for change under the couch)

19. Raph3Arts

Hi Lacedolphin!
    I played Sword & Poker a while ago, and our game is way more different than this. In PokerTower, you are presented a 4x5 grid of regular cards, and you must link them in order to score points! However, in Sword & Poker, you must place your card around a 4x4 grid, and it's considered as an RPG too!

yes absolutely! You can listen to your own music while playing PokerTower!

That's alright, slammajamma, I'll include you in the contest, as I didn't knew neither that you couldn't write a review by downloading with a Promo Code!

Continue to spread the words! It's highly appreciated!

20. The good thing about this game is that there's several modes - something for everyone. A solid value at $0.99.

Suggestion by my gf : Have an option for a 2nd set of cards with the following changes:

1. Remove the bottom rank number.
    2. Move the card color down a few pixels in the newly gained space.
    3. Center the top rank up top and make it bigger since the color has been moved down.

She believes it'd make the game easier to play as the relatively small rank numbers can get a bit hard to read on a long session.