iPad PokerTower - (by Raphael Blanchet)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. BBagwell

BBagwell Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Why do I want to play Poker Tower?
    I have never had any success trying to liquor in the front and poker in the rear. I imagine this is the next best thing.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hopefully all these people who want promo codes will report back with some impressions; I'm curious to see how others find PokerTower. Mmm... warm pie...

3. Raph3Arts

Raph3Arts Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, this one's really nice haha! There's a lot of nice answers already, don't give up, you still have until 5PM to participate! :D

4. nazara_tech

nazara_tech Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2009
    project manage
    India
    I would like to have promo code

First I love old retro graphics
    Secondly with these game cards game is looking too attractive
    Third I lov poker ��

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I love retro and poker and both are a real cool idea. Easy to play hard to master.

6. Raph3Arts

If I could give a promo code to everyone, I would :) Thanks for your answer, stay tuned! :D

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

Just finished a record Survival game! While I have to attribute a fair amount of it to luck, I think I stumbled onto a possibly non-intuitive tactic. Go for straights at all costs! This game values them more than full houses, they'll multiply the value of your next hand and can heal you a bit to keep you going for another day.

8. Raph3Arts

Indeed LordGek, the main strategy in Survival Mode is to score as much High Grade Hands as possible, since they heal you by a small amount. I know that in normal Poker, Full House are worth more than Straight, but after a couple of test sessions, we've came to the conclusion that Full House are too easy to make, so it losts its place in High Grade Hands, and the straight award more points.

9. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I want to play poker tower because I was sent to earth to study human culture (specifically earthling games and recreation). Should be helpful in my research. :)

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why didn't they send you with iTunes gift cards?

11. Raph3Arts

Hey, you still have 2 hours left to send me your answer to the question "Why do you want so bad to play PokerTower?". Good Luck! :D

12. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    We're a couple years behind you guys. I'm playing with pogs and virtual pets back home :(

13. Raph3Arts

I'm sorry for you m44 :( Hope you're doing well with Windows '95!! :(

14. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Because its what the cool kids are doing

15. matyou98

matyou98 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    I want to play poker tower because its a new way to play poker. This will save me from losing my money from people bluffing. Just want to go all in with the best hand! I also want to see the queen of hearts in all her 8 bit glory. I hope you aren't bluffing with your promo codes! :)

16. Raph3Arts

Alright guys, it's now 5PM, and the contest is now over! I've sent the promo code via PM to the best answers according to us! Thank you everyone for your participation, and we really hope to see you on the leaderboards!

Also, to every winners, if you could leave some impressions on the forum and on the App Store that would be very appreciated ^^

Have fun and if you have any question, I'm here!

17. Raph3Arts

Hey guys! :D

PokerTower has got some good sales right now (I think :p) and it's now featured in the Top 200 chart of Paid Apps! It's also the 4th game in the Top Card Games chart!! :D I just wanted to share my joy with you haha ^^

18. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #38 m44, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    First impressions are really good. I'm really liking survival mode.

Another small thing. . . Match 3 doesn't really describe the game well. I'm only bringing this up because people might read match three and think "pass".

You can match a pair of cards, three of a kind, two pairs/quads/, or a five card hand. Also you can remove filler cards that are in between the cards you want to play. 5/6/5 would remove all three cards, but only the pair of fives are worth points. (So don't remove cards that aren't going to score, unless you really have to.)

Survival mode alone is worth the buck! :) It's basically a RPG mini game. The goal is to make straights, full houses, flushes and other big hands. The big hands do more damage to opponents. You can't thrawt your opponents attacks, so it's a "see how far you can make it" sort of experience. . . You have unlimited time to decide on your best move in this mode. It's much better than "endless" or "infinity" or whatever you usually see in untimed matching games.

I was on the fence because I saw "match three". I'm off the fence and I'm on board now :D Fun game!

I really should have typed this out on my computer. . . I didn't think I would talk so much :)

19. Raph3Arts

Thank you really much for your impressions, m44 :D

This feature is already included in the game. To see it, you just need to go over to the Help Section and click on Combination. From here you'll have the full list of possible hands, as well as a full description of every of them in the further pages! You can also see from this section what combinations are considered as High Grade Hands, which, in Survival Mode, will heal you some HP.

We also discussed over this subject for a long time before releasing the game, and we never found better words to describe the game. Do you have some suggestion for us so we could change it?

Once again for your great impressions :)

20. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #40 m44, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    *doh* Completely missed the chart. (I will edit that part out of my original post).

About the match three. Maybe something with connect. . . . 'card connecting game' maybe? (I can probably come up with some more, I'll spin on it for awhile).