iPhone Pokemon TCG Online (by The Pokemon Company International)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 26, 2014.

1. LoneWolf1999

LoneWolf1999 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah and he's really good at inserting sarcastic comments in his posts if you read them.

2. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I know! I'm so addicted already I want to collect all of these awesome cards.. So much to do! I've already done a trade. Btw if you check gamefaqs there's a few codes you can enter to unlock a theme deck and some avatar items.

3. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Yep this is addictive ! Thanks for the gamefaqs referral. Pocketgamer gave this game a Gold medal review. I'm just a little concerned about this apps increasing storage size as we collect things......

4. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Has anyone figured out how to access the IAP's?

5. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    On the title page in the list on the left hand side below tournaments is " Shop & Redeem" Click and buy to your hearts content!
    Just keep in mind that at the moment I think in app purchases are only available in Canada

6. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Well, thank you. And since we are trading compliments, I'd like to take this opportunity to say how particularly impressed at this wonderful achievement of yours I am, especially in the absence of accompanying pictures.

7. Hephaestus

Hephaestus Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2014
    How the hell are we supposed to beat Ali, Master of Fake Difficulty with the shitty theme decks? Legendaries, spam drawing 6 cards most turns, spam heals, discarding my entire hand every 2-3 turns, and spamming unavoidable poison (for 30 damage between every turn) before even attacking is just...dumb if you're literally not allowed to customize anything.

8. LoneWolf1999

LoneWolf1999 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't understand people like this

9. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I know the space is a big issue I have to the delete the app every time and reinstall just to get rid of the documents and data. Everything is stored on their servers just the card data in your collection just installed on your device every time. I have a big collection now and it's ridiculous how much space it wants.

10. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Well I noticed it was taking just under 2g of space and growing so I deleted it and I'm done with it which is a shame in a way. I need the space on my device and I've been slowly letting go of other apps on my device so I can run the apps I want and things run smoother. Now get back to your Super Smash Brothers!

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Anybody know if it's this sloppy on the PC as well?

12. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I just downloaded the PC client last night it's identical to the app, but at least you don't have to worry about space on a PC since there's many options to increase storage.

13. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    No I haven't put this on the pc. When I saw the ever increasing space needed to maintain this game on my iPad I wasn't too thrilled about that. Maybe if they come up with an update to address this issue I might reinstall after all I never got a chance to collect Pikachu:)

14. ottbot

ottbot Well-Known Member

#94 ottbot, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    You earn packs from playing the Trainer Challenge and getting all the stars there. A total of 45 packs to be earned there. You can get packs from daily logins as well. All the above packs are locked from trading. In addition, you can use theme decks bought from the shop and complete through 12 trainers in the challenge to get a pack from the theme deck's expansion as well.

Other than those, you can earn packs from playing other players in Versus' Ranked and getting them from the bonus wheel spin after the match. The matches need to last at least 4 minutes and 30 seconds. The packs you get from the bonus wheel can be traded. Be sure to check for the trading value before trading. Personally, I will see what cards I get from that initial 45 packs in Trainer Challenge and check for a particular deck I can build from there.

The tokens you get from login and games can be used to purchase packs or theme decks from the shop but I read that it is recommended to spend on theme decks as packs, other than the Legendary Treasures Booster, only gives you 5 cards and do not guarantee rares.

This card game is different from Hearthstone as the card pool is significantly larger with many expansions, so you will mostly likely want to go for building certain decks than get every card IMO. The unlocked packs can be used to trade for cards to complete the decks you want to build.

You can only trade for cards in the game.

There is IAP to buy tokens (which you can also earn) to spend in the shop, I played on the computer so there wasn't an option there but it should be available in the retina iPad versions. However, you can also buy the actual packs and theme decks and redeem the codes in them in this digital version which is a great alternative if you want to spend money on the game; you get some actual physical cards for collection to go with expanding the one in the digital game.

15. ottbot

ottbot Well-Known Member

Here's a Reddit post on a guide to the Trainer Challenge. I find it very useful and informative!

16. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Did the PC version come out at the same time as the IOS version? It is hard to believe the IOS release could be more than a really rough beta.

17. Hephaestus

Hephaestus Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Thanks. I ended up just putting it down to easy mode for that one stupid, horribly unbalanced fight, and then had no problem with the rest of them back on the higher difficulty. I still think it's incredibly dumb that you can't even customize decks, though...for example, Mick gets to spam 40 damage burns passively and the only deck that can heal burn is the grass one.

18. Benjonesdesign

Sep 18, 2014
    Mobile app and games designer
    London, UK
    Hmm I have to say I was really looking forward to the release of this. Being a Pokemon fan I had high hopes for this but unfortunately they haven't delivered. If you compare it to the likes of Hearthstone it really doesn't live up to the rep.

If you look at how much the games have evolved (excuse the pun :p) on consoles with cool effects, you would expect something similar with this.

The UI is pretty basic, illustrations are quite week. I expected more

19. ottbot

ottbot Well-Known Member

Free packs redemption codes, valid till 10 October 2014, were given to quite a lot of websites. Check this Reddit thread for the list to get them. I hope Touch Arcade gets one too! :D

20. LoneWolf1999

LoneWolf1999 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    I have 3 pikachu, wanna trade?