Pokemon Just Got Vicious! Dragon Island Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Greyhoundgames, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Greyhoundgames

Greyhoundgames Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    #41 Greyhoundgames, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    We demoed on iPad at macworld. You can bet there will be a iPad version! We haven't decided on universal yet.
    P.S I'm the guy in the chair in the video. I borrowed that office, pipe and chair from my father in law. It fit perfectly for the gimmick I was going for.

2. LightningLoui

LightningLoui Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    will there be a beta phase ?
    or is it nearly on release? :D

3. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    There will be a beta. We will post here when it starts. Hopefully a couple weeks from now but this project has been so huge we have missed our original release date by months :)

4. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Universal would be great. I have an iPod and my wife has an iPad which I try to use as often as I can and would love to play this on a bigger screen and be able to go back to my iPod when she is not sharing. That said I guess it wouldn't be a make or break deal if it wasn't.I think it is a good selling point though.

5. monyo

monyo Active Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Looks like an awesome game. Would be awesome if i could join beta. Cant wait!

6. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I dont mean to be rude since I know someone worked hard on it... but its kind of shocking to see such beautifully rendered monster designs and overworld next to the dungeon screen that looks like a programmer did it by himself.

Regardless Ill check this out when its released.

7. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    #47 Greyhoundgames, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    We just removed dungeon walls thinking it looked better. Here is what it looks like with them in. Please comment on if you like it better with walls or without.
    <edited removed image and its now on the front page or at the end of the thread in a more updated version>

8. wargrim

wargrim Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Very cool, ever since I got my Ipad 2, I don't enjoy the iphone nearly as much. Just not the same =)

9. Bparker

Bparker Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Yes this game looks amazing can't wait for bheta hope it turns out pretty well but from what I have seen so far it most definently will.

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I kind of agree here. The art work for the monsters and map on the first page look amazing and the dungeon looks like a different art style entirely?
    Can't wait to see it in action though. Sounds like it will be very cool.

11. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    The dungeons are a psudo tile based system giving us the randomized dungeons. The overworld map is a hand drawn image because the map doesn't change. It prob would have been prohibitively expensive to have hand drawn dungeon tiles of each type with enough variations to give it a really hand drawn feel.

12. ZigZaGame

ZigZaGame Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Earth
    Not to mention an infinite random dungeon..makes it impossible to draw one by one. But yeah, we have been talking about how to improve the look...we are open to suggestions!

13. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    - Yes I do think it looks better with the walls, though perhaps some perspective by only showing the wall on the far side of a room might help. I'd look at other games with dungeons some more and see how they approached it, even pokemon itself.

- I'd try some different scaling on the floor textures, the tile the character is shown against appears larger than him.

- Have you tried a couple pixel black border around each texture so they dont clash together as much? It might not work well with photo realistic textures like that but worth a look perhaps.

- You might even experiment with applying a filter to the textures, I think its the photo real-ness thats going to clash with the rest of the game. Really harsh default photoshop filters generally look cheesy, but there are some pretty high end or subtle ones out there that could create an interesting look.

Again I'd play it even if its not altered at all, but if players spend a lot of times with Dungeons I do think its worth some effort to try to tweak the look a bit.

14. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Art style is too realistic and not fun or cute.. Which is going to cut out all the children aged audience, and probably girl gamers too.

Main target would be teenage boys and older.

Would have been a cool concept with a more cartooony look. It looks too serious for my liking, but I'm sure most men would like it

15. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks for your comments. I will play with some of these ideas.

16. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I too find it a weird mix of art styles. Some monsters are vicious and realistic, but then there's the snow cub which is on the cutesy side.

Then there's the map, and the dungeons which are 2 other styles.

Now - this doesn't mean I won't play the game, because the game play looks promising.

17. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    The # of cute monsters in the game is prob about 5%. Mostly for newbie land. once you get farther they all evolve\grow up into serious looking monsters.

Here is a picture of monster management which I just finished a makeover of. It shows you how you have your guys coming into battle, and guys staying behind. You simply drag guys between the 2 lists. On the left you can see sorting options for the big group at the bottom to make it easier to find who you want.
    On the right you can see buttons to take a soulstone out of a monster(which destroys the monster) and then another button to put a soulstone into a monster. Soulstones give bonuses to whoever you put them in based on the type of monster you destroyed to get them.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    #58 Greyhoundgames, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Here is a new version of the dungeon after taking some feedback from forum members. Thanks to those who provided feedback! We also put the monsters in the dungeon itself instead of using a common symbol. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

19. Kildar

Kildar Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    I'd prefer a common symbol than the actual dragons themselves. It'll add an element of mystery before an encounter especially since its randomized right?

20. ZigZaGame

ZigZaGame Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Earth
    Yeah, the encounters are random. Right now we are showing the first monster in the enemy army. You fight against 1-10+ monsters per encounter with your army, element of surprise is still there?