Universal Pokémon GO (by Niantic, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Jul 6, 2016.

1. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    My 3DS is probably my favourite console ever right now, the backlog is so huge and there are so many great games, both physical and on the eShop. Also for Pokemon it is excellent - I have both X and Y and a signed copy of Alpha Sapphire and while they're a bit easier than old games, they're incredible (I may be a tiny bit biased, it is my favourite series ever lol) and being able to play Red/Blue/Yellow on them too is awesome. Currently playing through Blue and loving it the same as I did in 2000.

Even then, I'd buy a console itself for Sun and Moon. They seem to be a radical shake up of the Pokemon formula, and everything they've announced so far seems absolutely incredible. It won't just be another iterative Pokemon game for sure. It also looks fantastic on the 3DS (it's the same graphical style to X and Y) and will be seriously awesome.

In regards to 3DS battery life, my New 3DS XL lasts forever and I've rarely had any problems, even with the more trying games like Xenoblade. Hope this helps!

2. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks! Definitely tempted as pogo is fun but clearly seems to be the tip of the iceberg from what the other Pokemon games are etc.... I meant if I bought a used 3ds what the longevity of the batter would be? Is the 3ds battery replaceable?

3. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Le Monde journalists nerded it out on Pokéstops locations in Paris vs the suburbs and countryside.
    It's in french, but Google Translate is your friend :p
    http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2016/08/03/pokemon-go-les-multiples-facteurs-des-inegalites-geographiques_4977738_4408996.html
    They data mined them and compared them to other maps (affluent neighborhoods vs poor ones, touristic locations...)
    Conclusions we already kinda knew is that, because of most of them come from Ingress players, mostly touristic areas in big cities were covered whereas small suburb towns were not very interesting for them. I guess 3G/4G coverage is fundamental too.

[​IMG]
    We need 538 on the job :D

4. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    It's kind of a balancing act. I'm sure even before the game launched, they had a "three year plan" (or maybe even a 5-year one) around when new content would be released and which Pokémon would temporarily be exclusive to certain areas. For the first several months, they have to pace 151 Pokémon in a way to try and keep both the obsessed players and the once-a-week-walkers interested.

If those nine Pokémon were available worldwide Day One, people would already have them, and then they'd quit because there would be absolutely nothing left that they could work towards except Level 40. Nothing spells "death sentence" to a game like the complete lack of content.

This way, people can still walk for eggs and hope they get an off-continent Pokémon. (Assuming that's even possible.) Every couple weeks, they'll flip a switch and suddenly Kangaskhan have been sighted in America, making people boot up the game again in hopes of finding this never-before-available-in-my-backyard creature. And when trading becomes available three months after the release date (this delay most likely was always in the plan), people who lost interest may return to the game.

Around the first of the year, we'll see the Gold/Silver upgrade.

And on the one-year anniversary, Shiny Pokémon will make their debut, and suddenly everything old is new again.

Their biggest challenge is keeping people interested while delaying new content as long as possible. Six months before Gold/Silver is probably too ambitious, but you can bet they'll stretch things out for as long as they can.

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    6 months isn't that long. Imagine, just like the delays in trading, they toe the line a bit.

"4 months till Gold/Silver!"
    *4 months later* "Ah, due to [unique pokemon ability] Gold/Silver is 6 weeks away from completion."
    *6 weeks later* "It's in Apple Review guys!"
    *4 weeks after that* Apple Rejects Pokemon update. News at 9. "Guys, new build submitted to fix the issue that Sata... er Apple... had with the build."
    LAUNCH WEEK [​IMG] (Lugia sighting)

6. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    #586 diffusion8r, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    It's probably dependent on how much the device was used, however my new 3DS XL that I must have had for about a year and a half and used pretty extensively has retained its charge and not deteriorated as far as I know! However, I do think that you can change batteries anyway - not 100% sure but Google should be able to help!

Edit: yeah just checked you can change them :)

7. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks! Very tempted now!

8. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    I had the day off today, and I walked about 5.5 km around my town.

On the 26 pokemon I caught, 25 were pidgeys, rattatas, weedles, caterpie or spearows. The exception was one eevee. The eggs I hatched gave common pokemon too.

I feel like I wasted my day.

I live in a suburban town of 40,000 people, 10 minutes away from a much bigger city. Is this a rural area?? Before the last couple of days updates, I used to find at least 2-3 less common pokemon per day, now it's 0.

I'm very tempted to give up on this game, but it had its benefits since it made me go out and all....

Does anyone else has the same problem?

And is Niantic going to do anything about this?

9. #589 AppUnwrapper, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    I actually wrote a long thing about this yesterday, because I'm having the same experience in areas I used to find a lot of Pokemon. I first thought the lack of tracking was the worst part of the update, but they broke so many aspects of the game. If you feel like seeing my full rant: http://www.appunwrapper.com/2016/08/02/after-the-latest-update-ive-nearly-stopped-playing-pokemon-go-altogether/

Edit: And something I noticed today but can't confirm yet --- riding my bike with the game open in my bag doesn't seem to work on incubating as much as it should. Not sure if they did something to that, too. I rode about 15 miles and it only counted towards about 1km of incubation. That's insane.

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Tried it today but haven't been too excited about it. Probably won't be playing too much time.

Appunwrapper just pointed out the things I fear I would come across to.

11. uberdan101

uberdan101 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Niantic posted somewhere that the egg incubating speed is 15 kph (which is something like 8 mph). If you ride your bike at even a decent speed, you were too fast for the incubator.

12. When was that? Because it used to count more, even when it was freezing up due to the battery saver bug. Same trip with glitching got me more than 1km, so definitely expected more when it was just open the whole time without any issues (as far as I know).

13. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Think people are overreacting about the adjustments to the flee/catch rate. With curveballs I still catch most things within two balls, and while I've had a few things run away prematurely, it's without razz berries and makes it slightly more interesting than simply catching every single thing you see. Kinda reminds me of the safari zone from the actual Pokemon games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. This is my own experience though so it may vary amongst you all; I haven't had something like a Dragonite suddenly flee yet so I don't really have a reason to be as upset as some here.

14. Apparently they reduced the refresh rates from every 5 seconds to every 10 seconds, which would explain why we're seeing fewer Pokemon. Might also explain the change in incubation while bike riding.

As for Pokemon escaping more often, the higher your level the more you'll notice it. It was always like that, but worse now. And the distance feels off a lot of the time now. I can't gauge it properly when throwing a curve ball. Others have complained about the same thing.

15. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    The escape rates don't bother me as much as the messed up hit boxes. Zubats are way easy to catch, but I've seen poke balls go right through Goldeens, parts of Pidgeys, and have weird distance issues with Golbats.

The other changes seem fine, but are a little late. People have already exploited driving, Pokevision, and other game mechanic workarounds as evident by almost every gym being filled with CP 2200+ Dragonites, Charizards, and other rarities a couple of weeks after the game's release.

16. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That's why I don't care much for online gaming, especially when there's competition involved.

What's the fun in that?

17. There isn't much competition involved right now. The only thing gym battles get you is some pokecoins. There aren't any bragging rights, really. I mean, I guess people can choose to make a big deal about taking over a gym, but to me that part of the game is the most boring, and not really much to brag about. If anything, I guess people who got ahead early on will have a leg up when they add some real pvp content.

The throws are definitely off after the last update. It's bizarre that they haven't addressed that, as it's a change that can't be excused with "it was broken" or "it was killing the servers."

18. Maelwolf

Mar 18, 2016
    The upside is, I see these players as being the first to quit. If you've exploited and rushed to get all the best stuff in a game centred around collecting and building up your team, there really isn't much after you get all the top Pokemon.

19. Maelwolf

Mar 18, 2016
    My guess would be that the developers focus is nearly entirely on a wider release, and unfortunately that means we may be seeing major bugs floating around longer than they should.

20. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    As per the front page, Niantic are fixing the catch/flee rate issues, which they have stated was unintended and a 'bug'. Life can finally continue as normal.