Universal Pokémon GO (by Niantic, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Jul 6, 2016.

1. rtificial

rtificial Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
    pastry chef
    Georiga
    Lawl they just pushed out another update after this backwards update. Probably to reset their 2 star app rating.

2. I didn't respond to your other post because I didn't see a need to. I did see a need to respond to someone telling me yet again that we all play different ways, since I never claimed otherwise.

3. Glad you're finding my guides useful. :)
    And yeah, I was using the battery saver, too, despite it being broken for me for a while and causing more aggravation than it was worth.

I do wonder what they'll do about the lack of stops in many areas. It's crazy just the difference between Manhattan and Brooklyn. If I'm not near any Poke stops for a day, I basically just forget about the game. But must suck for people who have that all the time.

4. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Pokémon GO (by Niantic, Inc.)

Tbh, I worry that a big city setup with too many Pokéstops, Gyms and Pokemons will be overwhelming quickly.
    It might deter me from playing because I would feel obligated too.
    Having 2 Pokéstops at home feels a bit like cheating lol.
    But it was fun doing a big walk with my baby in the stroller and stopping at the park with the 3 overlapping lures :D

I think I liked the small town setup better.

But where I am now, there's nothing unless you take a 15 minutes car ride :x

5. I'm a bit burnt out from it now and got tired of letting it eat my battery so I can hatch eggs and find Pokemon the *entire* time I'm out. But I did like having something meant to be played while out and about. :) Central Park aside, different parts of the city offered different Pokemon. Tracked my only Dragonair along the water when tracking was still working. I definitely wouldn't have let the game eat my battery so much if I saw nothing on my walks. But the state of the game now is not going to get me excited about it again. I've caught over 2000 Pokemon and my Pokedex has over 100. If I have no way of tracking a rare Pokemon that shows up in my list, I'm just going to open the game less often.

Couldn't find a Venusaur that popped up in my list while I was out a couple days ago, but in the evening one popped up in my apartment. Ate almost all my ultra balls, but I got the da** thing. :p

6. igorgorina

igorgorina Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I wonder when there is going to be a proper meta game.
    Something more to do with the collected pokemons.

7. vicsark

Aug 22, 2011
    Pokémon GO (by Niantic, Inc.)

Do you guys train or attack and hold gyms? I tried a few times but it wasn't much fun alone.
    And usually there are already some 1k to 2k CP Pokemons defending them :/

8. If I bother at all, I cash out after one gym. I made the mistake once of trying for too many gyms and ended up losing all of them. Wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe if gym battles were more fun...

9. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I'm a huge battery saver user too. Without it, going on a walk or run would kill my battery. It's not worth the battery hassle if my screen has to be on the whole time. For now, I think I'll avoid the update if I can. Hopefully, they'll fix the freezing issues and bring it back.

And I'm a little surprised that smegly is still instigating on this thread. He pushed me away a long time ago because of his inability to have a conversation without telling me I was saying something I wasn't actually saying. So, I feel ya about trying to go back and forth with him/her.

10. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Yesterday I stopped at a highway gas station in the middle of nowhere (nearest town 25 miles away). Turned on Pokemon Go to see what was around. There was a Bulbasaur, Warturtle and Ekans sitting there. Dude.

11. vicsark

Aug 22, 2011

Sweet! :)
    [​IMG]

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Did that very thing when I was on vacation and only found decent Pokemon in busy areas. Maybe found one or two at desert gas stations. Kudos for checking anyway! Glad someone got rewarded for it.

13. finndc

finndc Well-Known Member

This game is so weird. Every time I think I'm bored of it I get the urge to give it one more look, even though it's not like it's mind-blowingly exciting or anything :-/

I went home to the middle of England from London for the weekend. Stuck this on while walking the dog. Thought 'huh, this is dull'. Then noticed there was a beatable gym at the edge of the village. Now I'm constantly plotting how best to overthrow it...

14. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Has anyone considered buying a 3ds to play Pokemon x or y or the new Pokemon moon or sun?

Pokemon Go is the first Pokemon game I've played and it is the first time my wife has actually played any iPhone games or mobile games in general and she enjoys it. While I don't think she is interested in me / us getting a new 3ds to play Pokemon x/y or sun/moon I am debating it as Pokemon go has its real word benefits and being on the iPhone makes it easy..

However o wonder if I would enjoy Pokemon x/y or the future sun/moon. I'm also a bit intrigued by moon/sun as it is supposed to be somewhat based on Hawaii where I have some roots to etc...

1) do you own a 3DS?
    2) would you consider buying one to play Pokemon x/y sun/moon?
    3) what are other Pokemon games like compared to Pokemon Go?

15. Quix

Quix Member

Oct 18, 2013
    #575 Quix, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    1) do you own a 3DS?
    2) would you consider buying one to play Pokemon x/y sun/moon?
    3) what are other Pokemon games like compared to Pokemon Go?[/QUOTE]

1) I do owe a 3DS.
    2) I defenitly consider buying x/y/sun/moon.
    Actually i expect to see some sort of bridge between the future titles and Pokemon Go. Maybe even the possibility to trade Pokemon between the two systems.
    3) Other pokemon games compared to PoGo are the same when it comes to finishing your Pokedex. But thats all. There is way more depth in the 'traditional' games. And there is no way a location based game can be compared to conservative ways of gaming.

4) To create more depth within Pokemon Go the possibility of trading your freshly caught Dratini, at the beach, to your 3DS pokemon game opens op enormous possibilies. Now you can train/breed/customize your Dratini. When the seisons turn and when sun/moon are released you'll want to game, sitting on your couch, next to the fridge :)

16. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for your comments/opinion. I'm likely not the target audience for Pokemon or the 3ds as the last system I bough was the original PS3 which is still our blueray player as well. Actually a solid system back on the day with backers comparability and expansion etc...

I own the original sony psp and did have the original gameboy!

However, I don't see age as a barrier as much as it just is a bit strange. iPhone gaming is one thing and actually buying a mobile gaming device to play a game like Pokemon is a bit extreme... Maybe! Haha...

What I think is interesting is that back in the day Nintendo hand held systems before their first gameboy were one game each and probably about the size of the new 3ds. I had a few of those games including donkey kong! Interesting how the format of hand held hadn't changed that drastically the cartridge based system was the game changer but the actual device format and design not that different from 30 years ago!

1) I do owe a 3DS.
    2) I defenitly consider buying x/y/sun/moon.
    Actually i expect to see some sort of bridge between the future titles and Pokemon Go. Maybe even the possibility to trade Pokemon between the two systems.
    3) Other pokemon games compared to PoGo are the same when it comes to finishing your Pokedex. But thats all. There is way more depth in the 'traditional' games. And there is now way a location based game can be compared to conservative ways of gaming.

4) To create more depth within Pokemon Go the possibility of trading your freshly caught Dratini, at the beach, to your 3DS pokemon game opens op enormous possibilies. Now you can train/breed/customize your Dratini. When the seisons turn and when sun/moon are released you'll want to game, sitting on your couch, next to the fridge :)[/QUOTE]

17. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    1. Yes
    2. I bought my 3DS specifically for Pokemon X and have already pre-ordered Sun (for me) and Moon (for my son).
    3. The DS games are so wildly different from Pokemon Go that I would hardly compare them. Different genres, different way of playing, different everything. If you put a black shadow over all the characters and icons you'd never even guess the games are related. If you want more experiences like Pokemon Go, you won't get them from the DS games. Better to watch some videos or read reviews of the games to decide if you're interested in them. Suggestion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKnHayv2UcY

18. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks @Andysmash! I did read some reviews and see some videos and like what I've read and saw. It seems to me that it has more of a collect and combat feel? While pogo seems to me to be collect and battle in gyms but I don't get much beyond the collect aspect really from pogo.

The one thing holding me back a bit is the price of new 3ds xl and size. I like the new 3ds size more than 3ds xl and not so sure about buying used or refurbished as not sure about the battery longevity etc... Seems that the new 3ds xl has replaceable battery and they don't dwell the smaller new 3ds unless it was a bundle or something.

Graphically I'm also not sure how it looks compared to the pogo? The Pokemon on pogo seem clean and nice and Pokemon y looked a bit blurry and maybe not as crisp?

Pokemon sun and moon look cool and love he Hawaii location!!

19. PPA

PPA Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Somewhere...
    Same thing happened to me too, but it was a dragonite.

My brother got it and it ran from me ;-;

20. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I'm about to quit the game, now I know that 9 monsters are only available in other countries, and not in the USA..
    You can only get them if you hacked the game, like someone else did.. :(