Universal Pokémon Duel (by The Pokemon Company)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Velx

Velx Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Male
    Indiana
    I've come to terms with in app purchases, and most the games I spend the most time on have them in some form or another, but... I really hate this model of in app purchases. It's basically the exact same model that was popularized by Clash Royal. Win a match, get a reward, wait hours to open the reward or pay to open it. The new Star Wars has almost the exact same thing. It turns into only being able to actually play the game once or twice a day for a few minutes a session.

2. yorrick

yorrick Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    #22 yorrick, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Agreed. The load times are hideous and some screens do not provide any indication that something is happening (such as "connecting" or "loading").
    The unresponsive interface leaves you tapping all over the screen wondering if anything is alive!

Entering a game can take up to 30 seconds each time to search for an opponent and the end part of the game (such as a win) can take up to 10 seconds to come up after you land on the opponents flag/end.
    Definitely taking the shine off the game.

3. uhdrill

uhdrill Active Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I think this game is fantastic but sooooo slow with connectivity and loading.

4. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    #24 Ikeda, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Tutorial 9's Glaceon has made me either want one... or want it deleted from the game. Seriously, every game is... "Glaceon moves 3", it attacks and freezes, then just walks past and wins game. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I kill her, she pops up again and does it late in the game. Ridiculous. This is a tutorial mission no less. Then it takes 2 minutes to load back to the main page, to go back through the 3 minutes to load the mission back up again. Rinse and repeated 11 times so far.

5. yorrick

Oct 29, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    #25 yorrick, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    The game is fun but as others (and myself) have stated - the load times are terrible.
    Why does the game need wifi/cell data to load at startup? This takes over 15-20 seconds to download "additional data" just to start up.
    After the game starts, the main screen takes ages to populated with your pokemon - another 20 seconds of waiting, connecting and loading.
    All up - over 1 minute just to get to the home screen before you can tap "Play".

Very close to deleting this...

6. kilrtom

kilrtom New Member

May 2, 2013
    Obviously servers are getting smashed and not ready for the onslaught

7. TywinTheVile

TywinTheVile Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Can anyone log on right now? Also if it is server stress The Pokemon Company should know better. No excuse to launch in 64 new countries with such server issues.

8. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    It looks like there is maintenance underway currently. Hopefully the game is a bit more stable afterwards.

9. yorrick

Oct 29, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I am getting a "server are under maintenance" message from 0400 to 0800 UTC

10. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    Yes I am getting that now. Earlier all I got was "text not found"

11. Moonyboy99

Moonyboy99 Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Same as many people have said, the loading/connecting times kill this game. I actually enjoy the games and collecting but I don't have the time in my life to wait 30seconds on every menu!

12. Maelwolf

Maelwolf Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    It might just be that it's off hours now, but I tried the game this morning and it's working far better with significantly shorter wait times. Hopefully the maintenance was successful and this is consistent throughout the day.

13. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    Yes, things seem improved. Not where K think they could be but at much better

14. Kallizm

Kallizm Active Member

Dec 21, 2013
    e-Learning Designer
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can hit the blue it's just a matter of chance. It took me about 6 runs on that mission but I finally got it.

15. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Is this a soft launch?
    can't find it in austrian app store...

16. markaman

markaman Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2013
    #36 markaman, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Just found out there is a max amount of figures you can have the hard way. If you get new figures when your at capacity they disappear. I used the daily login gems and got the x6 pack and pulled a charizard, but apparently I didn't have enough room for him. I already emailed support, just waiting to hear back.

Edit: they were in my messages

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    For me this is unplayable.

Using iPhone 7+, latest IOS. Incredibly slow and unresponsive through the menus and then... no opponents available at all.

Looks to be a great game but wow is it a truly horrible user experience!

Maybe rename this Pokémon Slo?!

18. NumbNutz

NumbNutz Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Has anyone found a use for the green material cubes you get??
    I figured out you can sell the gold ones and the blue are for fusion (upgrading)

19. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    This game reminds me of some clunky pvp game from like 6 years ago with clunky rooms to "invite friends" and a slow UI and a small user base with little to no opponents. It feels very outdated. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it but it just feels behind the times.

20. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    I've had the option to fuse it to certain Pokemon to put toward their green bar. But I don't understand exactly how it works.