Universal Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jdrawmer

jdrawmer Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I'm gradually upgrading; mainly at present they are standards with an extra engine. A couple of the decent special steamers, and a couple of zephyrs which I'll be replacing eventually. Anything other than standards are just there so the line is open at present!

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    So this is the same stuff as PP where u can just open a few major cities and close the rest..

3. yamfun

yamfun Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012

Looks like a lot of bottlenecks to me.

4. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    That wasn't premium either.

5. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I have yet to see a single complaint about this game's fremium model from someone who explicitly said they have played. It's just a lot of people who hate fremium and are complaining in principle.

6. yamfun

yamfun Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Just found out my Pocket Trains data usage is up to 255MB in the month :eek:

Hope there is a prompt to ask for WIFI

Also, hope there is a confirmation prompt for NEW RAILROAD placement, it is easy to mis-click while you are moving the map around.

7. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    WTH? Why could that possibly be?

8. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #1608 nightc1, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    If the game had a bad IAP model or it wasn't a solid game I would be posting complaints for a while before deleting and moving on. Just look at my posts on Nimble Quest sometime. That one was a grindfest with no goals and required very little strategy other than grind forever to upgrade in order to make it farther or pay through IAP to to ultimately get nowhere. Pocket Trains has a global domination side along with achievements and requires some strategy to do well.

Finished unlocking the last zephyr. Also am closer to my first freighter and found parts for another one. I think I'm closing in on the end. Maybe a week and it'll be pretty much done.

9. Rainbow Whang

Rainbow Whang Active Member

Sep 21, 2013
    San Diego
    CN anyone explain the difference between the big and little dots for cities??

10. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #1610 nightc1, Oct 13, 2013
    Big means you have cargo stored in the yard at that station. Small means the yard is empty.

Edit. Also about data useage. I reset my useage counter and played te game for an hour or so. I had 153 kilobytes of data for that hour and my phone also checks for email hourly and has othe tasks setup to run that use the net such as weather. I'm only on 3G, which is unlimited. Still nothing looked unusal.

11. yamfun

yamfun Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012

Well I am actually on Android and the data counter is app-specific so the 255MB is all from Pocket Trains.
    I enabled the google play thing, which is either for cloud save or achievement tracking. Can't think of anything that need data usage, unless the counter counts the update of the app itself towards the same counter as there have been quite frequent updates to the PT recently.

12. Rainbow Whang

Rainbow Whang Active Member

Sep 21, 2013
    San Diego
    Does anyone have any suggestions in buying an Iap? I don't really wanna get the specials cus they're mostly carbons or other ok trains, and not the reg crates cus you can easily get those for free. So it might be bux. Insight?

13. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    I guess that's what I'd do, since I always need bux to open the crates I already have, and to buy stockyard upgrades.

14. jdrawmer

May 31, 2009
    I wouldn't say so. The strategy is only missing 7 cities in total and they're only missing because in order to open them, it would mean having a line that at times goes back on its self, or would require a tiny 2-3 station line. #

You can't just open select cities any more because you can't just fly over and miss cities like in PP.

Seems to work really well so far. I have all the European and Asian lines open except the red from the far North-east corner of the map.

Allows micromanagement if you have a long time to play (send a train off to the next station and only focus on the best cargo), or you can send them from one end to the other as full as they can be from layovers/whats available.

Made about 150k coins yesterday.

15. JJDrewson

JJDrewson New Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I would say a good number of cities for each train would be 5 or 6 depending on the fuel capacity of the train and the distance between cities.

The exclamation mark means that there is an event in progress dealing with that city.

16. thisisina

thisisina Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2012
    That's really interesting. That looks pretty efficient. We may have a similar strategy, although my lines are a bit shorter and laid out a bit differently. How many railroads do you currently have and what trains are you mostly using?

For anyone that wants the full world map, here's a link to a previous post: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2986445&postcount=1006

17. jdrawmer

May 31, 2009
    Yeah it seems to work really well and I'm pretty confident it will work even better when all lines are working.

I tried to make sure I covered as many long, straight routes as possible, as well as ensure as many as possible ended at another station that has plenty of other lines coming off it Lines like that seem to give a better selection of jobs for whatever reason. It essentially means wherever I am on the map, with cargo going anywhere else on the map, I should be able to send it there pretty in a pretty straight line with not too many changes.

I currently have 11 railroads, all of which are in Europe and Asia, as well as the Rome --> Montreal and Chengdu to Casablanca fully completed as well.

All lines in Europe and Asia are complete, except for the Red Kiev --> Anadyr which i'll do next before moving on to Africa or North America...

Here are my lines where E is engines and F is fuel (1E being default)

Terabyte Zephyr - 1E 0F - Shanghai --> Yakutsk
    Petabyte Zephyr - 1E 0F - Baghdad --> Amsterdam
    Gila Standard - 2E 0F - Novosibirsk --> Kupang
    Exabyte Zephyr - 1E 0F - Madrid --> Moscow
    Carbon Steamer - 1E 1F - Stockholm --> Dakar
    Rio Grande Standard - 2E 0F - St Petersburg --> Bangalore
    Mallard - 1E 0F - Casablanca --> Chengdu
    National Express - 2E 1F - Rome --> Montreal
    Pecos Standard - 1E 0F - Novosibirsk --> Kupang
    San Juan Standard - 2E 0F - Harbin --> Bangalore
    Daylight - 1E 0F - Paris --> Beijing

Some lines aren't currently THAT efficient, because there's no other lines completed around them, such as the Carbon Steamer when it reaches Dakar; Typically it would be carrying South America or South Africa based cargo to drop off. Same goes for the Rome --> Montreal line which currently only has cargo bound for the line it's working, as opposed to other valuable america based cargo. That'll iron out eventually though!

Currently working on a mix of upgrading current trains and adding new lines which is a tough balance to find.

I don't like the Zephyrs, but i'm prioritising more lines at present to get things moving faster.

18. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have not bought any consumable IAPs for Pocket Rails...

19. yamfun

yamfun Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    #1619 yamfun, Oct 13, 2013
    I expect to open all cities in the world by tomorrow.
    Here is what I plan to do with main lines that I expect to bring in most of the profit.
    The rest of the blacks lines will be served by minors lines with leftover steamers I guess.

http://imgur.com/SvZggEg

20. rmr

rmr Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I scanned through many pages and didn't find one.

Is there anyway to replace an engine and save the fuel car? I am just starting to replace my original steamers, but whenever I replace the engine, I noticed that the fuel card does not end up available in the yard! so that means I have to throw away the fuel card if I want to replace an engine. This makes it very painful to replace enginesÂ… and just seems illogical. Thank you.