Universal Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    #141 vicsark, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    Money and Bux were scarce in the early levels of PP, mainly until level 16/20 where you unlocked transatlantic high capacity planes. And after a while, money is just irrelevant, the only valuable currency becoming Bux. And even Bux are easy to harvest.

I wonder how they balanced the mid to late game here.

Same about micromanagement, huge in low levels in PP due to the short trips, lesser when you have 2h trips.
    But PT looks to be more focused on the micro management with the 1 train per line system and reliance on layovers it implies.

2. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    First thoughts

Got the game about 9pm Pacific time last night, so I completed the first daily event before the midnight rollover, and the second one today. I really like the daily events in PT much better than the individual events in PP. Much better reward to effort ratio.

I also wish there was a way to see what other trains will be available, so I know what to save or look for. A "Trainpedia" would help a lot. At this point I have no idea whether it's worth it or not to build more steamers.

I like the additional strategy of planning routes, required because of the one train per track restriction.

I'm disappointed to read that licenses for new continents require a continuous connection (expensive) between them. I would have liked to run independent operations on a couple of continents for a while and then connect them only when I could afford it.

3. Churchill92

Churchill92 Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Game Impressions

My first 'day' with the game

1. Starting zone: I would like to have the ability to start in Europe, Asian, Africa, or US. This gives more flexibility so not every game starts the same. I realize that strategy can go either to Asia or Africa and that's it. I think it would be a blast to start in Chicago, Bombay, or Lagos.

2. Crates are evil: On one hand you are overwhelmed with crates and starting/leveling bucks. Don't open them all, keep some Bucks for spare as they come sporadically but generously enough. Once you have say 10 crates there's no point in getting more unless you are taking the cargo with you as bonus. That number will eat away at your soul as you want to open each one and drive you broke.

3. Use the Bank: I cashed in 20 bux and made 4k. Starting off that cash helped open up more rail lines which cost even more ridiculous amounts. Spend it when you can.

4. Rail lines dynamic pricing or additive? I cannot see if a rail line is going to be the same price or more expensive everytime i upgrade. I went over to Budapest and that was nearly 5k.

5. Fuel is obtuse: I wish I knew how much fuel I'd be using between runs. This would help planning my lines out.

6. Where is the Unload all? I miss this button terribly.

This is a fun, time wasting, time sink just like pocket planes with more strategy and maintenance. Gone are the same boring runs from one city to another reaping in cash and bux, this game makes you think about the runs as both Fuel, time, and coins are needed badly and you don't want to waste fuel on a run with no cars (did this a few times, it sucks).

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Got mine as well and the bonus 20 bux for the 1st event.

5. sawyer4325

sawyer4325 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Does anybody know if the content of the crates is level based? Just wondering, I wouldn't want to open crates I buy from IAP on an early level.

6. vicsark

Aug 22, 2011
    I guess so, early on I only had steamers, now I have other faster train parts.

7. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    One thing about building and using low level trains, is you can sell them for cash later.

8. vicsark

Aug 22, 2011
    #148 vicsark, Sep 26, 2013
    So whuch railroad lines did you guys and gals setup today?

And reassigning a railroad line between two cities is actually easy.
    In case someone didn't notice : from the train screen, you just have to tap on the target city to change its line color for a small fee.

Attached Files:

9. Scaramanga79+

Scaramanga79+ Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Tennessee, USA
    Do jobs not refresh like PP?

10. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    What happens if you double-head locomotives? More car carrying capacity?

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #151 nightc1, Sep 26, 2013
    I've been trying to figure out how to set a double head locomotive. No luck. The menu system in this game is a little unintuitive.

Edit: nevermind I figured it out in the train menu when a train is at a station. Can't double up on the steamers it seems.

12. Churchill92

Churchill92 Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Jobs do not refresh at all regardless if you have multiple trains at the station. The only thing that stays the same between trains at the same station is the trains left in the Yard.

13. KookiWooki

KookiWooki Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I've just download this game. Is it any better than Pocket planes cause I got bored of that one after a week or two but I don't know the trains one looks better some how.

14. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    That's right. If you click on train in the station it will show number of engines and number of tenders x/y.

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Nevermind, I love the fact that it's only 1 train per track. It gives the game an awesome need for strategy and makes it have almost a puzzle game aftertaste, I love it. Changed from 4 to 5 stars!

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I think it's waaaay better. Pocket planes was basically tap and wait, tap and wait. With this you have to strategize which trains can go where, drop off cargo in certain stations for other rains to pic up, etc. and it's awesome. Kinda almost an RTS/puzzle feel.

17. jdrawmer

jdrawmer Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    #157 jdrawmer, Sep 26, 2013
    I really do love it!

My strategy is a bit all over the place at the minute as I get used to the mechanics and structure of the game, but it has some great quirks.

Again, like most of their games though, you can pretty much make any strategy work for you.

There's a more strategic feel to it, and it's not as intense (although you can still make it so if you want!)

18. snippygal

snippygal Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010

I agree. My OCD has come surging to the surface, and I have a little map printed with my routes set out in different highlighter colors, just to keep working to a plan. Possibly not everyone's bag, but SO mine.

19. PocketDaddy45

PocketDaddy45 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Minnesota
    It's becoming clear that the most important thing is the BUX. The coins you pick up from jobs seem to keep up with the repairs that become due on the trains occasionally. Selling the BUX is the way to expand your railroad.

20. Soar2344

Soar2344 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    12 Buxs for a job :D sweet

Attached Files: