Universal Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    In this case, the 100 value 1 coin car would have to be delivered to a city twice as far away as the 2 coin car of the same value.

I think this is one huge improvement over the Pocket Planes jobs, which were purely distance based. Having a range of values and a range of job sizes results in more strategy, both at the micro-managing and global levels.

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    The trek from NY to Lisbon may be capable by a bluebell steamer with a fuel car upgrade, but the big money jobs are typically 5 cars (I'm talking 2000+ gold, 40+ Bux) and would take a really long time to move any of the super highly valuable freight since you could only do one at a time. I haven't found much 3 car freight worth transporting across the ocean either to bridge the gap. But, it is a way to get started with it... though after spending 150K gold or whatever for the continent, the lisbon to ny path, then putting a train on it and claiming NY for it's route... it's going to take a while to rebuild that money with the lowest end train.

That was my first mistake in going to NY to begin with. My advice, if you've got the cash to expand to NA, make sure you already have a train capable of moving enough freight over the distance to make it easier to recoup the cost.

Interesting find.

3. griff08

griff08 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Thanks guys i think i get it now.

4. yamfun

yamfun Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    I don't see the need to divide, just look at number of coins-icon.

5. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    As long as your train is filled with 4-coin jobs, it doesn't matter whether it's 5+3, or 4+4, or 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1.

But I agree that by the time you can afford the license for NA, plus the track, plus the claim, you're probably at a level where you've got Express parts, so you probably wouldn't have to use a Steamer.

6. ElkhoundsRock

ElkhoundsRock Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Hockey
    Canada
    I totally agree with you.

7. RoboBoto

RoboBoto Well-Known Member

May 1, 2012
    First time I actually watched a train as it passed through a city where it had some cargo to drop off. Slick! #easilyamused

8. ElkhoundsRock

Jul 20, 2012
    Hockey
    Canada
    I'm just testing to see if my signature works.

9. ElkhoundsRock

Jul 20, 2012
    Hockey
    Canada
    Hey it does!

10. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Make sure you pick up the extra gold and cash that floats by. I think I've only seen $1 bux but I've seen 1 & 10 gold (10 being a larger image). It's not much but if you've got everything running then there's a chance to make a few bux which can make refueling easier.

Well, I built up around 70K gold and a couple hundred more bux so I opened a bunch of crates and managed enough parts for 2 much better 12 cargo trains and add fuel cars to nearly all of my 8 cargo steamers. So now I'm up to 11 trains and am about to be level 13. Oh the cool trains were the Rio Grande Standard & Gila Standard. I added a new line from NY north through Canada and nearly to Reykjavik and put the Rio on it. Gila I'm probably going to do something with in east EU. Now, to build up the next fortune and expand again and hopefully gamble and get some better trains.

11. elethana

elethana Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Sonoran Desert
    Early on I snagged a crate on a parachute, I have too many short haul lines to watch now.

12. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I'm really getting frustrated with the special crates. Early on I got 6 Mallard parts and 1Daylight but ever since I've got nothing but Carbon Steamers. I stopped opening them after level 12 intending to open them later on hoping for a higher chance of getting something other than a Carbon Steamer. But after level 15 I open 3 more and they were all Carbon Steamers. That's at least 10 in a row. It seems like my game is only going to give those to me. :(

13. ElkhoundsRock

Jul 20, 2012
    Hockey
    Canada
    Ur lucky though. I'm level 11 and all I've got was carbon steamers. Nothing else. So ur pretty lucky

14. ElkhoundsRock

Jul 20, 2012
    Hockey
    Canada
    #1274 ElkhoundsRock, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    I have a gila standard and a rio grande standard (both with no fuel cars or extra engines) and I don't know what to do with them.

I want to go Lisbon->NY with the Rio Grande and around the med with my Gila, but is that a good idea?

What do you guys think?

Edit: I have all the liscences I need for both of them. (NA liscence Asia liscence and Africa liscence)

15. ltbaxter

ltbaxter Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Software Developer
    Midwest, USA
    Update at lvl 14

I just hit lvl 14 and thought I would share where I'm at, what I've been up to and what's next as it's very early in the game :cool:

Currently have 8 railroads with licenses opened up in Asia and Africa in response to events. Base steamers were just now replaced by 2 Carbons, 3 fully upgraded Express trains, 1 Express engine and 2 Standard engines. I wanted to thank and support Nimblebit (but not spend a ton of money) so I gave a 'tip' of 300 bux and 25 special crates (total $5.96, have opened about half and saved half) and figured the earlier the better. My parts collection includes 4 daylights, 3 dragonbreath, 1 century, 2 bullet parts and 2 dekotra. Almost no zephyrs seen until lvl 13 when I uncrated 5 terabyte pieces.

Paris and Munich are very active with a ring around both, a long line from Paris to Tehran, a line from Paris to Reykjavik, and two intersecting lines running from Tehran-NewDehli-Chengdu. Lisbon-Barcelona-Munich-Minsk has been a highly active crossover line. First expansion was to Asia as the cost to NA was prohibitive at the time. It has worked well, and I opened Africa with a Casablanca event. I'm poised to open Lisbon-NY and but a new standard engine on it when I get a NA event. Other stats: 190K miles, 11K cars, 224 crates, 4K bux, 8 events done. I constantly seem cash poor and bux poor. Only after buying a few bux have I cleared up a large crate backlog - now the three are all in balance.

Priority to bux first (always!! layover a lot, 15 in almost every city, 40-60 in about three big hubs), then crates, then 4-coin jobs no matter what size. I found extra capacity better than extra fuel but try to upgrade all active trains. I've watched every 2-free-bux video that comes up too - every bit helps :) So far the game has been a ton of fun. I was a huge Pocket Planes fan but eventually gave it up as the micromanagement and time commitment was just too much. I'm curious to see if Pocket Trains can avoid that, but at these low levels it's not a strain.

Looking forward to others sharing their tips, their setups or priorities, etc.

16. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Ah! Now I see what you guys are talking about. Never noticed those coins before. Only saw number of cars and total coins for those cars.
    *feeling stupid* :(

Your method is much easier. ;)

17. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Even so I'm really hesitant to spend real money on a IAP for special crates as I don't want to get nothing but Carbon Steamers. If I was assured of getting other parts I might buy the 25 pack.

18. rebartsch

rebartsch Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Just getting ready to go to Level 15 and the game crashed and will not reopen.
    I am on a iPhone 5s with ios 7.0.2!!!
    Any one have any ideas???

19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Hadn't seen any crates yet. Good to know there's more to it than just the cash and gold.

20. shawnaye

shawnaye New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Hey guys, looking for some Pecos Standard parts so i could build my line from Europe to Asia!

Would appreciate any donations and would trade if necessary :D

My code is : FSYR