Universal Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. makitango

makitango Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I am currently operating 8 railroads...
    3 Bullets (2 connect Asia and Europe to quickly deliver high value cargo over a far distance, main hub is Baghdad - the other one runs from Chengdu, my major Asia hub, down to Kupang, the last stop before Australia)
    1 Daylight (Reykjavik to Munich)
    1 Delaware Freighter (Chengdu to Anadyr)
    3 Carbon Steamers for regional use (2 operate from Munich to either Stockholm or to Lisbon, 1 operates from Beijing to Sendai)

I am planning to replace all my long-range railroads with Bullets and all my regional stuff with Delaware Freighters, hopefully to be upgraded sometime.

Did anyone of you ever uncrate a Bullet or Delaware Freighter, and knows at which level it happens?

2. aelesia

aelesia Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Just found a 60 bux job (5x12 bux) from Lisbon to Tokyo, holy shit.

3. guineapiglet

guineapiglet Member

Sep 23, 2012
    #1243 guineapiglet, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Some tips to avoid clogging yards:
    1. For long distance jobs, only choose 4-coin and bux jobs.
    2. For medium-short distance jobs, choose 4-coin, bux and crate jobs.
    3. For immediate distance jobs (next city in line), fill every empty spot on the train with any job available.
    4. Never leave behind bux jobs. If a train is full and the yard is full, expand the yard: the bux job will pay for the expansion.
    5. Setting up hubs and expanding their yard slots can be useful (duh) (e.g. Paris, with lines for western europe, great britain and north, eastern europe and spain&italy; Dakar with lines for north-western Africa, central Africa and South America).
    6. I've noticed that for Europe, a network of close distance hubs helps a lot to unclog yards from long distance jobs. For example, Paris-Madrid-Milan, with a medium capacity train (e.g. Carbon Steamer) serving Paris-Milan-Barcellona-Madrid that delivers jobs towards eastern Europe and a faster Paris-Bordeaux-Madrid-Lisbon line that delivers jobs to African and South-American lines.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    My expansion from EU to NA has been working out pretty well. I'm regularly finding jobs with 20 to 40 bux. My gold has jumped from a couple thousand to well over 60K. I think with another day or so of playing I could buy another couple train lines and make things more efficient. Right now though I've got the one train bridging the ocean with just one other train in the US & Canada. All my other 8 trains are in EU running short distances.

Today's event for me is in Moscow, which I don't own. I may pass on it as I have so much other freight to move around. But I don't know, that part of the map is kind of weak for me anyway with jobs so I might be able to handle the load if the cost for the line isn't too bad.

5. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    I got my first bullet at 16. Still no freighters.

My running trains include:
    5 carbons + fuel
    Full metro, national, and regional expresses; a global with 2 engines but no fuel (anyone got 4 global to trade me ;) )
    Double engine San Juan, single engine Gila and Rio Grande

I posted a couple days ago that I was undertaking a major reorganization of my network; I'll post sometime soon about that.

6. makitango

makitango Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Very interesting. I am still thinking about whether to use faster trains with fewer cars for regional stuff, or to use freighters. But then again, one single regional line might not really require a, say, 28-car-strong Delaware Freighter, even in late game.

Also, in the mean time until I can unlock Bullets and Freighters myself, I am still using the good old Carbon Steamers for regional stuff.

So... I am really interested how others play with speed/cars. :)

7. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm mostly using steamers in the EU. Two are carbons and 5 are lesser 8 car steamers. Then I have a faster train (I forget which it is) that's also 8 cars. These are all running around Europe. I'm mainly looking for any higher capacity trains for moving freight. I'd rather more carbons with 12 capacity than a faster 8 car train because right now most of the big high dollar cargo I'm finding is 5 cars. So I'm kind of stuck most of the time moving just one 5 cargo deal when I could be moving 2. So it really clogs up the system. Moving 4 cargo paired up just isn't as common anymore for me.

8. ElkhoundsRock

ElkhoundsRock Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Hockey
    Canada
    Haha holy shit that's alot

9. Nalazoo

Nalazoo Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Close To My Heart Consultant
    A go-go juice station! Love the idea :D

Maybe I'm lucky, or it could be that I'm a BUX hound - I'll pick up each and every BUX, since they are more valuable to me than coins. I've been using BUX to refuel without feeling any pain about it - the game gives you ample BUX opportunities along the way.

I'm only exchanging BUX if I absolutely need to and I'm not rushing to open crates, until I can expand my lines or buy licenses, which will happen soon!

Played for a few hours yesterday...ok, like most of the day :rolleyes:...hehehe, and now have 1,196 BUX! The nice thing with the exchange, you don't have to worry about how many do I need to exchange, like you did in PP. Instead, exchange what you need, as you need it.

10. CzechCongo

Jul 17, 2013
    Ok, so here's my latest update. I've attached a screenshot of my current rail network.

Before I give details of it, let me tell you what the first iteration of this change was. He the idea (not original, I know) of creating a loop in Europe. My first loop was Amsterdam Munich Milan Paris, serviced by a double San Juan, and supplemented by a carbon+ between Paris and Munich. This proved to be an inefficient use of the San Juan. I had rearranged my "spoke" lines as well, and it just wasn't flowing right. I tried making some engine changes, but it didn't help the problem, which I thought was the rail topology. So, I revised the loop to make it larger (and less of a complete loop, though I still call the red line "The Loop Line") and cleaned up the spokes a bit, to what you see in the screenshot.

Aside: there were a LOT of line changes to be made between these two setups. I had to create a handful of new lines for the first one, but it was fun to shuffle things around the second time without removing/adding lines, which saved me a bunch of cash; a 13th line costs 41570.

So, the details. The heart of the network is not actually the red loop, but the blue line, which is where I currently have my 2 San Juans. I can't wait to get a third engine on that one. The loop is currently serviced by a full national express, but I may upgrade that soon to a standard for more cargo if I get another Rio/Gila engine. The green inner spokes is a carbon+, which seems to be doing the job. Another option I'm considering is upgrading the green line to a better engine and giving it the other Munich spokes to Paris and Budapest, running the San Juan from Budapest into Asia when the time comes.

Yellow line (uk-Iceland) is a lone Rio Grande. The light blue and purple in Western Europe are carbon+s. I'll eventually combine those when I make my Lisbon NY line. Fun fact, I never owned the Bordeaux Milan track. Maybe when I consolidate those two into one line I'll claim it. Question: do you folks run your transatlantic train to Lisbon or Madrid? I'm thinking straight to Madrid is the way to go, making it a intercontinental hub.

Orange (Scandinavia) is a double global. I'll swap that for a carbon when the express is needed elsewhere, since I don't really need the speed. Although if I get more expresses I may keep it there, since the speed is nice. Orange (E Europe / Middle East) is a full metro. Green (Moscow / Tehran) is a carbon+. These lines and engines will change when I go full on in Asia. Purple (Russia) is a full regional express. That line will likely also be modified, but I like the full express there. Lots of good cars for at region to push around. Magenta is a lone Gila, for now, and will probably take over the Volgograd line soon. Minsk / Kiev is a leftover from the previous iteration, but I didn't want to remove it since I may be able to turn it into an Asian line in the future and save 30k gold.

There's been some discussion about how much stockyard capacity to have. I'm fairly certain I'm on the high end of the spectrum with this. People asked me how I made 300k gold a couple days ago, and mucho layovers is probably a big reason why. Think of it this way; 10 bux will get you about 2k gold on the exchange, or 5 cars of capacity in the stockyard. That means those 5 extra spots only have to facilitate you pushing a few (5-25, depending?) cars before the investment pays off. They also help with events; I did today's event in 3 hours. Here are my biggest stockyards: Paris 85, Munich 85, Amsterdam 60, Kiev 55, London 50, Berlin 50, Moscow 50, Budapest 45, Milan 40. Half the rest are at 5-10, at the ends of the lines, and the other half are 15-25.

Attached Files:

11. griff08

griff08 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Quick question: I see a 4-coin 200 job and a 3-coin 350 job, what does the coin mean? Multiplier?

12. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Well, I did not benefit from the cheating hacker gifts, so no Bullets, Century Limited, or Freighters for me.

I've been playing the "normal" way and am at level 16.6 with 14 railroads:
    • 3 Carbon Steamers (I'm swapping these out incrementally as I complete other engines)
    • 6 Express: 2 fully upgraded Nationals and Metros, 1 fully upgraded Global, need 1 more part for Regional Express fuel car (gift code 19HQ :))
    • 3 Standards: two-engine Gila and single engine San Juan and Rio Grande
    • 2 Zephyrs: Petabyte and Terabyte

I really like the progression of upgrading trains as you collect parts:
    1. start with 8 cap. Steamers
    2. then add fuel car for range
    3. then start using Carbons for 12 cap.
    4. then use Express for double speed
    5. then use Standards for upgradable capacity and range
    6. etc...

13. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I might've missed this, but does anyone know which is one of the lower level trains, or first train that can make it from Lisbon to New York? So far I see a few I can craft with a stock 700 fuel tank, not sure if that tank upgraded is enough. Any knowledge on this?

14. Andrwsc

Jul 17, 2012
    Yes. Job values are computed as distance × value × cars, where the value is indicated as 1-4 coins (or bux).

My hubs get clogged quickly if I fill them with low-value jobs, so I only collect 4-coin jobs, all bux jobs, and some crates.

15. Andrwsc

Jul 17, 2012
    You need ~375 fuel for that trip, so even a Bluebell Steamer can do it with a fuel car.

16. Andrwsc

Jul 17, 2012
    Absolutely. For the past few events, I've been servicing them with a single engine shuttling back and forth from an adjacent city.

17. CzechCongo

Jul 17, 2013
    Andrwsc is right, but just to clarify; the coin is not an additional multiplier on top of the # of coins already shown. For example, if you have a 100 value 1 coin car and a 100 value 2 coin car, both cars will only give you 100 coins upon delivery.

18. Andrwsc

Jul 17, 2012
  19. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    #1259 Faye Valentine, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Do you guys find your math skills are improving?
    I'll calculate the coins per car of a job and choose the higher value. So sometimes the higher paying job is the one with fewer number of cars.

Let me clarify...
    There are two jobs:
    4x 400 coin job -> pays 100 coins per car
    2x 400 coin job -> pays 200 coins per car
    I will choose the 2x 400 coin job over the 4x 400 job.

20. griff08

griff08 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Thanks for this! Totally answered my coin question.