Universal Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Perfect trumpet

Perfect trumpet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Uk
    I pressed it by mistake but how do I change the line colour? Liking it so far

2. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Just an FYI, the London event got me 20 bux and a special crate.

3. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    When the train is at a station, press the "Train" button. There you have different train options, including line color. :)

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I can't complain about there being only one train per railroad as that's just how it is, but you don't seem to get a bonus when delivering full cargo/passengers for one city like in Pocket Planes

5. Robot:String

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    PP was like "wait for passengers to same destination, fly, profit!"
    This is more "what jobs get me more money? What direction should I take? Maybe I'll carry this crate to that station and leave it there... does it have capacity?"

Really more complex game.

6. Perfect trumpet

Perfect trumpet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Uk
    Thanks robot, I'm doing this Paris event right now whats this global event in Glasgow?

7. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    They really focused on the layovers this time. This means you need good hubs with at least 3 lines crossing or departing. For now Paris and Munich looks like good ones.
    It looks like very long routes are not the best strategy for PT.

How am I supposed to change a rail line and attach it to another route without losing too much coins or layovers?

It's funny because there are really deep strategies relying on layovers and hubs in Pocket planes. Mostly for levels 15/35 because after that coins didn't matter any more, it was all about Bux hoarding for massive Bux/coins exchange. :D

8. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Gold in game quite hard to gain, i think about sell train to gain gold after crafted it but seem not a good solution cause with 3 part of train = 30 bux we can exchange with higher cost than selling train, any idea?

9. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I just convert most of my bux into coins. I got 221 coins for 1 bux rate today.

10. Leeabe51

Leeabe51 Member

May 27, 2013
    It is very easy to turn off, but an app (especially a game) shouldn't be turning on notifications without asking.

I would overlook it for a good game, but I fail to understand why people play these games. I played Pocket Planes for a couple of days and just don't understand the appeal. I was hoping they upgrade the mechanics of trains to give the game a point other than doing the same boring thing repeatedly just to collect new trains. I understand people like collection games, but I need more game.

11. jdrawmer

jdrawmer Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    #91 jdrawmer, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    You can pretty much make anything work on PT which i think is a good thing - because it doesn't cost money to set the train off. You could send it back and forth all day if you wanted to. That, for me, is a massive positive.

I have myself a very busy Europe setup at the minute with 5 lines. Stations have different lines going to them where possible so I just find myself first checking for bux/crates. If none, I just get the highest value jobs I can find. If I can't even anywhere near fill the train, I look for where I could go next, and drop off high value jobs for other trains to pick up.

EDIT: There's a few things missing for me though. Perhaps they'll be added in time.

1) Social aspect (sharing pictures on social media, bitbook etc.)
    2) Global events (this was one of the best parts of PP)
    3) Overviews (such as overview of your trains, most profitable etc)
    4) Leaderboards!? (can't seem to find any!)

12. Robot:String

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    Global event?
    There's only a daily, personal event afaik.

13. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I think I remember in the plane game that there were teams you could join and toucharcade had one. Is that the same here and if so, does TouchArcade have one?

14. Robot:String

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    So, you don't like these kind of games, download it anyways, get upset for a meaninless feature that takes 10 seconds to chage in preferences, erase the game you already knew you didn't like and feel the need to come here to bash the game in public.
    I see...

15. guineapiglet

guineapiglet Member

Sep 23, 2012
    This is what I think will keep me playing. In pocket planes, you linearly expanded as you gained coins and bux, and in a while it was just a matter of earning and earning and earning.
    So far, bux are quite easy to get, but coins not so much. Let's see if this will give a good balance to the game.
    I'm enjoying it so far!

16. Fallen_Grace

Fallen_Grace Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2012
    #96 Fallen_Grace, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    I'm feeling stupid cause,after building a new track from minsk to moscow,I totally don't remember how to add it to an existing train line :rolleyes:

Nevermind,finally found how,am getting old.

17. Mindtornado

Mindtornado Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    I'm guessing I overestimated the popularity of Global Events and Crews in Pocket Planes seeing that Nimblebit left them out of Pocket Trains.

18. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    It would be great if you could see how much fuel a route needs somehow, rather than waiting for the game to tell you sorry can't make it.

It's also frustrating that each train has its own jobs at the same station, meaning when I see a good job for the wrong train, oh well. I guess I'll get used to it though.

I initially overinvested in cheery steamers and chose a bad route. I sold my 4th train off and I'm planning my routes more carefully now. Saving parts for a carbon steamer and for fuel cars for all trains, and trying to run a criss-cross network in central europe that has a lot of transfer opportunities.

(I think people say "layover" because that's from PP but they mean dropping goods off for the next train, which I would call a transfer?)

19. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I think the problem is that they were unfairly structured for such a casual aimed game and so only wound up appealing to those hardcore players who were part of one of the top dozen or so teams that were always winning through brute force and ignorance.

Were you a 4th grader who wanted to form a team with your other 4th grade friends, congrats, you won some coins again! You only got anything of note out of the system by joining one of the big "clans", and then only by working your butt off to rank high enough. Pretty sure for the amount of effort it took to implement and keep it running, the participation after the first month dropped like a stone in the general player base.

20. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    So this game is pretty fun been addicted to it just like Pocket Planes but I hate how different trains own railroads making it very hard for let's say a train in Berlin to travel to London if another train already owns that track ;-; well I guess that's why it's called a strategy game and not simulation lol