Universal Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mdaymond

Mdaymond Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Multiple triangles made of straight routes is my strategy for Europe! :) And that's not so far off my numbers to be fair - it probably also depends on any variance in trains being used - I have a Mallard between Paris > Reykjavik for example, and a fully upgraded Metro Express on another main line...

2. rewyan

rewyan Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2013
    To get lots of Bux, there are many things you should do.

1. Never miss an opportunity for delivering cargo with Bux as a reward. That is, as long as it's profitable.
    2. Always watch the ads in the store when they are available. You get 2 Bux for wasting 10 seconds, which is a great reward.
    3. Don't open up more cargo than you need to. Save it until a day when the bank rates are low, that way you have something to spend your Bux on.

(#2 is most important)

3. Macs96qaz

Macs96qaz Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Canada
    I think #1 is the most important, to add on: Use layovers with bux to get them where they need to go!

4. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Okay, I haven't played as much as some, but I've noticed that certain elements of the game which should be random or perhaps, driven by the game economy, feel managed, almost predetermined. The game always gives me something to carry, a clear choice for the route, but always just a bit more than I can haul, forcing me to compromise and leave some cars behind, but ultimately, forces me to try and obtain engine upgrades. The problem is, at least for me, seems to be that there are far more crates than bucks, absolutely limiting the rate I can expand without IAP. The contents of crates also seem managed, once a type of train gets within one part of completion, the chance of getting that type of part seems to drop dramatically. I am absolutely not opposed to IAP, when doing so gives me an advantage or premium content. On the other hand, If IAP's are required to overcome game driven handicaps, I choose not to participate. Tell me I'm wrong, because I want to love this game.

5. yamfun

yamfun Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Did somebody say he's getting many black steamer from the special crates?

Because me too, it's like the 3rd consecutive black steam parts from purple crates :mad:

(lv13 roll)

6. Mdaymond

Mdaymond Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    I also think number one is most important, and by where profit doesn't matter? I send bux all over the place to get to where they need to be, even if the original city is 'next door', but the train looking at it doesn't connect there.

7. aelesia

aelesia Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I'm level 13 with no IAP purchases at all and all my trains are doing fine. Right now I have the following trains:

- 6 normal steamers
    - 1 carbon steamer (12x cargo)
    - 4 fully upgraded express trains (12x cargo, 600~ fuel)
    - 2 standard engines + engine upgrade (18x cargo, 600~ fuel)

The main thing is that I played in the beta so I know how to plan my lines and stations efficiently to make use of as little hubs as possible and to place my high capacity lines where they are needed.

Also in the beta there were no IAPs at all. The game was designed ground up to be played without IAPs. In fact it's way easier to get good parts now than it was in the beta. Express & Carbon trains also had less capacity in the Beta than they do now.

Regarding the whole crates vs bux issue, some people end up with too many crates and others end up with too many bux. Try not to spend too much bux banking in for coins or upgrading unnecessarily. Overall I think the ratio of bux : crates is pretty balanced. From my stats screen, I've collected about 2800 bux and 240 crates so far.

8. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I assure you everything is random.

9. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    I'm not getting that impression, mostly because IAP in this game doesn't help you get any particular train directly; all you can do is get more crates or bux and hope that what you want pops out. With regards to being one part short, that is probably just a stretch of bad luck. I personally have half a dozen trains that I'm close to having parts for, but I just keep getting steamers, it seems. ;)

Regarding cars; yeah, this is a game about using engines to pull trains of cars. There SHOULD always be more cars than you can carry, right? Otherwise it would seem even more predetermined, because you'd only haul what you were given. Don't feel the need to try and carry everything; even with a ton of awesome trains I'm sure that's impossible. Be the most efficient with what you have at the moment.

I too have a shortfall of bux with respect to crates. I just keep focusing on bux cars. Earlier today I almost emptied my crate stash, so I refocused on getting crates jobs. With an open-ended game like this, you have to set your own goals; whether it's open a new continent, get a particular train, whatever, just set a goal and work towards it.

Give it some more time; I've been playing pretty hard the last few days, so you may just need to get to a certain point where things are clicking for your railroad. I'm having a ton of fun and haven't been tempted to get IAP.

10. Macs96qaz

Macs96qaz Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Canada
    I agree with everything you say... Just wanted to throw that out there. ;)

By the way, who has opened South Africa or Oceania, I don't know what to expect.

11. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Anybody able to gift parts lately? I keep getting "There was an error sending your part. Please try again later." Is that my problem, or something server-side?

And has anybody gifted between iOS and Android players? I presume that ability is why Nimblebit didn't use Game Center IDs for gifting, but created their own gift codes instead.

12. griff08

griff08 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    i noticed that too. i've gotten more new trains in the regular crates than special one.

13. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I hope to be in Oceania within 24hrs, my daily event threw a spanner in the works but I'm dedicated to getting a car from one side of the world to the other

14. griff08

Oct 30, 2012
    i have the same problem now, getting the same error.. i PM'd the dev but everything is fine on their end. i cannot tell if im gifting to android or iOS, or if this matters.

15. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I have three different games going--one on my iPod, one on the "family iPad", and one on my Android phone. I sent a part from my Android to my iPod and got no error message, but the parts disappeard. I tried to send from the iPad to iPod and got the error.

16. griff08

Oct 30, 2012
    weird. i dunno if other people are getting the gifting issue. i hope u reported it to the devs.

17. NimbleTim

NimbleTim Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Give it another try now. Just fixed a small bug.

18. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I'm playing the game for a while, and now I can't take the destination for train because there is no action when I touch to the screen. Have anyone got same problem with me?

19. griff08

Oct 30, 2012
    thanks. i was able to send just now.

20. yamfun

yamfun Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    It works now, thanks!
    (Android)