Universal Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jdrawmer

jdrawmer Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Hello guys!

Pocket Planer of the past here.

I like it! Few niggly changes to get used to, like no full train bonus, and no refreshing jobs (or not obvious that it does) - but I guess not paying for a journey means it doesn't matter if it's full!

Interesting strategy with the one train per line as well

2. Relharn

Relharn Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, jobs won't refresh while a train remains at the station. And another train at the same station will have different jobs available. The only shared jobs are those in the yard (ie. layovers).

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Can anyone figure out the refresh cycle? I had a train in a station and there was a job refresh. I didn't start a new railroad and can't figure out what else I might have done to trigger a refresh, so I can only imagine it's a time based refresh? Or maybe for every x cars delivered...?

4. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

I have bought some railroads too soon when i began the game i could not play it good. Lost some money

5. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    It's Free to download and included IAP

6. jdrawmer

jdrawmer Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Really am loving this it has to be said!!

The refueling is good; takes some intensity out of the game. Not had any repairs yet hopefully they're not too bad.

Good having to think about strategy too! Can't overdo the numbers of trains; got to make sure you have a few stations on each line to make it viable.

Knowing how job refreshes work would be handy though - pretty annoying having to work it out ourselves

7. kaezul

kaezul Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I'm really liking this game so far. I'm hoping it can keep my attention longer than pocket planes did. Is the gift system working for anyone? My friend sent me some parts about an hour ago and I haven't received them yet.

8. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    #68 Andre, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    Oh, it is released now. Love it too much.

9. 4004

4004 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Belarus
    #69 4004, Sep 26, 2013
    Looks good but I guess I wont be able to keep up. Not quite understanding the layover mechanics and the one-train-per-line

10. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    #70 vicsark, Sep 26, 2013
    Yep, I'd like to know if the jobs refresh or not. I think I had refreshes once, but I dunno what would have triggered them.

It looks like you need to plan your lines carefully, and use extensively the layovers system. 10 bux to upgrade layover capacity by 5 at a station.
    As in PP, I think the bux and crates jobs are the most important to get, and to layover.
    Trial and error, but it also looks like you won't have to start over if you f.ck up completely, as you can reassign trains and rails.

Good first impression for now, pixel art mixed with more real drawings look very nice.
    But no global events ??? :(

Don't forget you can have a lot of free bux "watching videos" in the store. Come back once in a while to get some more.
    And you don't "have to pay" bux for refueling, just wait for it to refuel itself.

11. TREE_exorcist

TREE_exorcist Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Not as complex as Pocket planes, but it gets the job done.

12. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Seems like it might be better to have one trainper 3-4 cities rather than long continental spans of many cities?

More micro management though.

13. Harry Merkin

Harry Merkin Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm going to give it a chance since I don't have a grinder game at the moment. It looks enjoyable enough.

14. lordyokomoto

lordyokomoto Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Argggh wish I never dl this.... Not getting any work done.... Too addictive ;))))

15. xCrusader

xCrusader Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    ngaww..it needs ios 6 and over...is it worth upgrading to a new ios for my 8gb ipod and getting the game???

16. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    You have Planes? This has similiar but tweaked strategy.
    Reconnecting the same cities. Fewer features.

No city population or sizes to factor, no cargo refresh timers, no encyclopedia, your trains break over time wiping out resources, no weather, have to sit and wait on trains to refuel, no global connected content, or friends stats to compare.

In summary, Planes-lite.

17. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Sync between iPad and iPhone ios 7 worked flawlessly.

i'm still trying to figure out the best way to reassig routes or change trains

18. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    #78 Robot:String, Sep 26, 2013
    Yes, this is a correct strategy. :)

There's interesting info at the "upcoming" thread, as the game was in open beta and we provided a lot of feedback and thoughts there.

And, AFAIK, no job refresh at stations. You need to leave the station and return to get new jobs. If you got a refresh, try to see if you can reproduce the situation and report as bug to the devs.

BTW: other than coins and bux, crates appear flying from time to time, so you should be alert while watching the nice scenery. :)

What else?.. Yes, fuel cars are really important. Make a difference. So try to get those ASAP. A good strategy could be to build 3-4 lines with 4-6 stations, get fuel cars for all your engines and exploit those till you get money to open new routes. Try to find a central hub (if possible), like Munich in Europe, for example. And yes, layovers are more important in PT than in PP. So, station upgrades are a thing to consider.

Cheers.

Edit: watch for more rewarding jobs! (the ones with more coins).

19. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    I don't agree. This is a different game to PP. As 2 trains can't share the same route, you need to plan a lot how you're going to lay your lines. Also, you now have the fuel factor to consider, and buiding fuel cars, expanding station capacity (layovers are more important).

PP was more about moving things around. This is more about planning your lines and expansion, and managing resources. I think this is a more complex, richer game than PP.

20. Soar2344

Soar2344 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    What I'm discipointed in is the lack of bitbook.