Universal Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Harmoniamundi

Harmoniamundi Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Teacher/Musician
    Ohio
    Btw...outgoing cargo is something I have wanted to count for something for a long time....they had it in PP but it never counted for anything, I.e., blue jobs for an event. Way to go Nimblebit! Super cool

2. Harmoniamundi

Jul 2, 2012
    Teacher/Musician
    Ohio
    My tiny railroads!

Attached Files:

3. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Yes for first, I used that steamer to replace an express on my St.Petersburg-Istanbul line which was not efficient for fuel.

I redeployed the Express as a new line over on a shorter Amsterdam-Stockholm route.

4. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Do the steamers fuel car and engine car have to match colors exactly? There doesn't seem to be any point to it other than to make the random crates more tedious and painful.

5. KookiWooki

KookiWooki Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I just got the popup about how sometimes the trains need repairs which has now got me wonder just how can we tell if a train needs a repair? Does the game tell us or is it guess work on our part?

6. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

I don't think my previous question ever got answered. I'm afraid I already know the answer, but I'll ask again. Is there a way to close a station?

I have tried to shut down the line leading to the station, but the station seems to remain open and I keep getting jobs for stations that no longer have active lines running to them. I'm trying to consolidate my runs into smaller, more efficient groups. But, I have all of these jobs in my cities for stations that I can no longer reach. It's cluttering up my stations and those jobs are taking up space for jobs to cities that I'm currently using.

At this point, I have managed to open a line from Lisbon to NY. It cost $50,000 for the North American license, $56,000+ for the track to NY from Lisbon, and then $20,000 to claim the line. You have to use a Mallard with a fuel car to have enough fuel to reach from NY to Lisbon. The run takes 15M using that train, which is really fast IMO. I've had jobs for up to 40 BUX in a single job, and the dollar value of jobs is usually $1,000-2,000 per job. So, it means I can usually average $6,000-$8,000 per run with a full train and high dollar jobs. Not too bad. And, far less micromanaging. Seems worth the investment at this point.

Now, if I could only close stations!

7. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I wonder if I should open that first or head to Casablanca. Any advice? (Saving for my first license now.)

8. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I don't know if it's possible to close down a station. But a temporary solution would be to haul the stuff to the next stop, put it in the yard, and then use the x button on the material in the yard to remove it from the yard and thus delete it.

9. CzarCastic

I have been doing this if I have open space on a train. :D

10. Harmoniamundi

Jul 2, 2012
    Teacher/Musician
    Ohio
    Yeah, I see your point. But you do have to build them from the parts that are for that engine/fuel car type. It's nice that you can choose how to use the parts though! PP mystery parts definitely don't work that way lol

11. CzarCastic

Depends on your play style, IMO. I'm looking for longer runs that I can start up, then put the game away for awhile.

If your cities are close together, then the jobs will be for significantly less money/bux. Therefore, it takes much more micromanaging of your trains to cash in. By having a really long run, like NY to Lisbon, I can gather my high dollar jobs at either end, and then use a train to run the most profitable jobs back and forth. It's less micromanaging and the jobs are more valuable. The trade off is that it takes longer between runs, which is really what I'm looking for at this point.

There seems to be more to do in Pocket Trains versus Pocket Planes because you have to manage a single train per line. In PP, you could just send your planes and then let them go for awhile. I'm not sure I'm prepared to invest that much time.

12. softflow

softflow Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Hey there - I'm not sure if you've figured this out yet but I noticed the same issue. I had stretched out to Moscow and Istanbul but closed those lines, among others, recently (an hour or so ago). Now, I noticed the game has actually removed Istanbul from the map. Moscow remains because I have an active connection to Minsk, but I've not noticed ANY jobs to Moscow or Istanbul recently.

I'm not sure what triggered the station removal, but they were certainly still appearing initially after I had closed their routes.

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #273 ste86uk, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    I am still wondering how many stations most of you use per route? For now I'm fine micromanaging with short routes that have 3/4 stations but as others said I can imagine when I have many to manage longer routes would be helpful!

The fuel cars really do make all the difference in the world but I'm unlucky and keep getting parts for vanilla and emerald when most of mine are cherry and blue at the moment.

As for comments on fuel I think it works fine, fuel cars help a lot and generally I can play often for a while still before needing to take a break. But in my view this is more of a kind of game I want to play for a few minutes and then do something else but keep checking in.

I forgot to add I would like a confirmation button when going to spend bux on refueling as occasionally I'm doing things quickly and accidentally waste some bux.

14. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Sweet spot seems about 4 links for me. Even micromanaging. Trying to pickup and shuttle all the layovers on lines larger than 4 starts taking forever to get all the cargo to it's destinations before overloaded.

I'm the opposite, see lots of red and blue, hardly any white :( Level 9 and have only been able to get 3 vanilla for engine, not a single more for fuel car.

15. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I would say 3-5 links. As I get fuel cars, getting up towards 5 is working well.

As for expansion, I am only just starting to get Mallard parts, so I think I will open Africa first and quickly try to save up for NA, to have that long route option but to have Africa generating boxes and bux.

16. yamfun

yamfun Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to best divide Euro into lines.
    Couldn't come up with anything. :|

17. aelesia

aelesia Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    #277 aelesia, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    I played the beta up to about level 15 and I actually felt that having many trains doing short routes were the best for gathering bux and crates due to the nature of how jobs are only refreshed after your train pulls into a new station. Suppose your 1st train pulls into a station every 5 minutes while the 2nd train only pulls into a station every 15 minutes. Your 1st train has 3 times the chance of getting a bux or crate over your 2nd train.

Due to that reason, I intentionally limited the expansion of my train empire to Europe until I stockpiled tons of bux and crates. Then I expanded and rearranged my trains to do longer routes, started getting less bux and crates and felt depressed and stopped playing :(

I decided my new strategy would be to have one main hub for each continent, but each hub will still continue to have many more short lines. That way I have short lines to do bux/crate hunting but at the same time I have a high capacity long distance line to do cross continent jobs.

Yea it requires way more thought than Pocket Planes. What I did for the beginning was to have 5 main lines that all interchange at Paris. Saves you a ton of trouble of transferring jobs from train to train as they all use the same interchange. I also had 6th train route that didn't go to Paris, but it intersected 4 of the other lines so it served as a secondary interchange.

18. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't know how to post a screenshot here, but what I've done is designed a system with heavily interlocking lines. So far I have 6 lines in Europe (one is a two stop stub that will soon serve Casablanca and other points in Africa). Each line intersects at least 3 of the other 5 and intersects another line at at least two stations. So I have lots of options for routing cargo. What I don't yet have is enough storage capacity at my transfer stations. Some are still at 10.

19. callme_jc

callme_jc Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    With each new NimbleBit game it becomes progressively easier to earn bux. I really like the new fixed daily exchange rate; the incremental one in PP just encouraged me to hoard bux, whereas now in PT I'm spending them a lot more freely. I normally open crates until I'm down to 100 bux, then exchange a further 50 for coins.

The game recommends you have at least 5-6 cities on each line to maximise job availability. This seems to hold up, to the point I shut down my small Paris<>London<>Dublin/Glasgow line so I could extend the Paris<>Rome line. In terms of dividing up Europe, I found this pretty easy, but I like that you can change things around. I don't think I'll expand outwith Europe until I have plenty of upgraded trains to play with.

I figured out that by swiping quickly, then slowly as you approach the edge of the screen, you can make trains disappear. Ta-da!

Attached Files:

20. nam009

nam009 Member

May 9, 2012
    Yes it is ! and it runs great, a little hiccups here and there, but no crashes !