Universal Pocket Titans (by Kumotion Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Shei

Shei New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    The graphics look great... it's tempting.

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Is it like a free play mode with random elements? That would be awesome.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Is Game Center working for anyone else? Looks like achievements aren't unlocking to me, although leaderboards seem fine.

It's hard to tell though because the GC app seems to be absolutely terrible lately. I've got several apps where achievements I've earned days ago still aren't showing on the game page even though my games list shows the achievement points.

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I took a chance on this as I don't know the developer but the game looked like something I'd enjoy. I've only played the first 6 levels or so, so far and am not regretting my purchase.

I know once I complete the campaign I can repeate quests to try get cash and buy better gear to use in pvp, the only thing I can think is like added in another mode would be an endless mode of sorts but I'm sure there's much more you can do with this!

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    The last world / chapters jumped steeply in difficulty (the one with the *** (spoiler) baddies). I am finding that even you played with "perfect" strategy, if the initial layout (which was random) was unfavorable, you can easily fall into an unwinnable situation). Further, once one of your Titans die, it is basically near impossible to recover enough to win the level.

6. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I finished single player and I've just been farming for those purple items. The story really is short! Multiplayer should keep it all alive in the long run together with the coming updates. I honestly found most quests to end very prematurely, but that's just me used to FFTactics. It's a puzzle hybrid after all. The final 3 battles are nice though and I'd like to see more like those. The last orc type introduced was pretty neat!

RPG elements are on the lighter side here, putting focus on strategy through unit placement on the field with a bit of luck from the randomness of skills used and targets selected by the AI. Customization comes from party conposition as all items simply get upgraded automatically on finding better loot. I tried a ton of titan combinations and they are all viable.

Overall, it's a nifty game with brilliant mechanics taken from the puzzle and RPG genres. Single player story can be finished extremely fast but there's always multiplayer and future content. Nothing deep, but very enjoyable for quick plays.

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    One miss in this otherwise mechanics is that you have NO CONTROL on the order by which your titans use their powers. This is critical for the later stages where you rely on your healer to heal one of the Titans before an enemy strikes. I can't seem to figure out when the healer will move first or move last. Many times, I thought the healer would do a heal first but did not, but instead the enemy would get off a strike first. Why?

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It's based on their speed stat. The characters always attack in order of their speed stat, whether friend or foe.

9. kumotion

kumotion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 31, 2013
    Video Game Publisher
    Leamington Spa
    Answer

Hello, Mr_Bez is correct. It is the "speed" stat that dictates who attacks first. Speed improves with level up and also you can spend gold on the "trinket" items (the ones that aren't weapon or armour) to increase healers speed.

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Have really been enjoying this one. Only real criticism is that the difficulty curve is a bit off: absolutely breezed through all stages up to the last one, and only now am being seriously challenged. That's fairly minor though, assuming multiplayer will work and have people to play against, because the mechanics here are really top notch. In any case, have gotten many times over the average amount of fun-per-dollar-dropped on the app store with this already.

11. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Ah. I see. Thank you, again, Kumotion. Great for the developer to clarify.

I have just finished the game. For those who are wondering, it is possible (as I did) to finish the entire game without using any IAP and even without spending a single coin in the shop to upgrade your gears as well as without dying once in a battle. The latter obviously will take some tries to achieve, as the later levels can easily be a death trap if the initial layout you are given turns out to be an unfavorable one.

I bought one of the coin packs IAP (mainly as a reward to the developer) and tried replaying some of the tougher levels with the Titan gears. As expected, the Titan gears basically overpower everything. I think this is the perfect type of IAP, allowing players with lesser skills or lesser patience to buy the IAP to make it through the tougher parts of the game.

Overall, absolutely brilliant and fun strategy puzzle RPG. Looking forward to the next update or new campaign. Easily recommendation on instant buy!

12. kumotion

Patreon Indie

Jul 31, 2013
    Video Game Publisher
    Leamington Spa
    No problem, and so pleased everyone seems to be enjoying the game so much :)

13. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Still haven't been able to find a multiplayer game. Is it not asynchronous? If not, it really should be. Anyone here been able to get into a game?

14. pheraph

pheraph Active Member

Dec 24, 2010
    How is it determined which enemy is attacked if there are multiple reachable enemies? I had a not so funny situation where my archer attacked a spider web and therefore revealed the fifth enemy on the field instead of killing the fourth. I understand that the speed property affects the attack order but I really wish I could choose the attack target. :mad:

15. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Let's not forget what sort of game this is. You're able to move certain targets out of your characters' range - if you wish - to force them to attack others, at the cost of a move. This is as much a game of limitations as it is of manipulations. I actually like it that way. There is no need to turn it into a more common TBS game; there are already plenty of those around.

16. kumotion

Patreon Indie

Jul 31, 2013
    Video Game Publisher
    Leamington Spa
    Answer

Characters will try to do the 'best' action they can.

Look at the abilities (click on a unit and then use the button to switch to the abilities page). The Titans will try to do their attacks in order from top to bottom. For example ranger will do her Multishot if her bonus bar is full and she can see two or more enemies (or there is only one enemy left). If she can't he bonus attack she'll try her standard ranged attack if there's an enemy at range, and if she can't do that she'll do her less powerful close up attack if there's someone next to her.

If units have a choice of who to attack they'll go for the enemy with the lowest health (to try and finish someone off). Using this knowledge you can use your movements to get the outcome you want from your turn so if you want a unit to hit a particular enemy make sure they can't see a better target using your movements.

This is slightly deeper strategy that comes with experience, but hope this helps clear things up.

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I still find the "best"attack option difficult to discern sometimes. For example, my mage could have attacked a boss that was low on energy with his special to finish the boss off.

Instead it attacked two healthy wraiths (one with AOE damage) and killed neither. The boss then killed my mage.

It's a minor issue though.

On another note, I don't get the supposed balancing issues with the last fight that some people are complaining of. I played through the game and completed most side quests. I repeated two levels after completing them and haven't spent any gold in the shop.

I arrived at the final level with all characters on level 5 and beat it on my second attempt (the first one ended as described above). If anything, I think there's not enough incentive to replay earlier levels, as you can complete the game fairly easily.

18. kumotion

Patreon Indie

Jul 31, 2013
    Video Game Publisher
    Leamington Spa
    Answer

Glad you are enjoying the game, and thanks for your feedback.

The Mage will do his Fire Strike ability if he can so if he saw two enemies next to each other he'd do that rather than doing his regular ability on the boss. If you see Mage with his bonus bar flashing try and get the enemies in a clump together so he can attack them all.

Hope this helps.

19. HomeFries

HomeFries Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Canada
    Wow this game is Awsome. Finished it and still want more. Other developers should take notes on how a game is suppose to be made and I play xcom and all final fantasy games too and let me say for 99cents I can't belive the quality and enjoyment this game has. To the developers big props love the game and anyone who enjoys fresh awesome gameplay and a game that's polished beyond belive should buy it now cause I still can't belive it's only 99cents lol
    Brand new gameplay with cool loot and I have to say great humor and good story there is nothing I can say that's wrong with this game to me it's perfect all I want is more more more pls I'll buy additional chapters to continue the story lol it seemed short for me cause I enjoyed it now just have to get all characters lvl max for achivment and play through with each as they do say diffrent lines lol anyways GET THIS GAME NOW AND SUPPORT AWSOME
    DEVS.
    Cheers going back to play:)

20. kumotion

Patreon Indie

Jul 31, 2013
    Video Game Publisher
    Leamington Spa
    Answer

Wow! So pleased you like the game so much.

We are working hard on getting the update ready, but in the mean time we hope you are enjoying multiplayer.