Universal Pocket Run Pool (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, May 23, 2018.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I've gotten very used to the (frankly outstanding) quality of 8 ball as my benchmark for iOS pool.

This is just nowhere near it, in terms of the controls. For a ball game / pool sim, IMO the physics are deeply unsatisfying. There's no sense of contact, or of friction, or of weight. The drag / stop looks wrong (balls dribble on way too long) and the cuing action is, again IMO, a mess.

And no spin (!)

I can't get past playing the first couple of games - it's like fingernails scraping on a blackboard.

Good luck to them that enjoys it!

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Zach, tiny problem...been able to reproduce this on every single launch on iPhone SE with the latest version of iOS, but yeah, Battery Saver mode seems to turn off when you kill the app/start the app, despite it staying ‘On’ in Options. LOVING this though!

3. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @PBSNellie, @solarnya - Thanks for the support! I'm glad this is living up to your Billiards experience! I played a lot in college and I tried to make a game that recreated the same feelings even if it was a different ruleset

@Grist - Yep! It's actually supposed to have GC high scores for standard run (tap on the high scores button on the menu) but they're not submitting properly. It's fixed in the upcoming update

@Quoad - Sorry you're not feeling it! It's definitely meant to be "Arcade" pool and not "Sim" pool, so if you're looking for fine-grained control this isn't going to be the game for you. Instead it's built around a deep physical cue action and the decisions you can make to play around the idea that power is the only thing you have to work with. It's okay if it's not for you though, it sounds like you're more at home with the sim-style games, and that's great, there's plenty out there already for you :)

@metalcasket - Shoot! I will get on that. Sorry about that! Glad to hear it's not ruining your enjoyment entirely though!

Andy C83 likes this.
  4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Awesome, thanks!

Just curious about one thing...unless I’m an idiot (which is most likely the case), after going Full Game Unlock, I still have to Buy In to play Insta-Tournament it seems? Still have “Buy in” and the 250 coins icon showing up. What am I missing? :p

Andy C83 likes this.
  5. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    yeah it's an embarrassing bug :( it's fixed in the update we submitted last night

Andy C83 likes this.
  6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Whew...glad I’m not going insane! Anyways, dude...I hate you. How am I supposed to work on my stupid masters thesis when I can’t put this down? I know for a fact that Mr. 3.5 (Carter, of course) has been having similar issues trying to write his review...so...yeah.

7. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I tried to disable the haptic feedback in the options menu but it’s still enabled during gameplay.

8. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    whoa really that's super weird i'll double check it

9. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    High Stakes mode made me crack my ipad.

10. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    oh no! I hope metaphorically!

11. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I'm telling you, this game makes me want to go to a dive bar and play pool all night.

12. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Brilliant game!

13. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    2nded, 3rded, and passed into law!

Andy C83 likes this.
  14. masemase

masemase Member

Feb 22, 2009
    So this guy gets featured on the App Store and still replies to everyone here?

Thanks Zach for taking the time to respond to everyone here (like many others do too, of course); it’s great to be able to support someone who delivers consistently amazing work AND is so responsive to his fans/users.

15. dadiduekappa

dadiduekappa Well-Known Member

I like to play this great game and I like to play one hand games. And this is almost perfect for one hand.
    To make it perfect I think you can include a different method to shoot.
    A method where you pull the cue and more you pull more the shoot result strong. Like the spring to launch a ball in pinball.
    Sorry for my bad english!!!

16. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    I think some of my posts got eaten by the forum upgrade :)

TA is my favorite community in mobile games. It's a blast to be able to come here every time I release a game and talk about it with you all. I really enjoy seeing all the familiar faces and all the new people showing up :) Thanks to you guys for being such an enjoyable part of my career in making games.

jabbasoft, turakm, Boardumb and 3 others like this.
  17. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Do the medals that you win during the multiplayer challenges do anything? Are they just for bragging rights?

18. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    just for bragging rights. if you tap on the medals on the main menu it'll pull up GC leaderboards for each

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Zach, has the Battery Saver issue been fixed with either of the last 2 updates by any chance?

20. e5py

e5py Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Bug found: In high Stakes Pool, if you select the "timer" condition (clear the table in 2:45) and an ad comes on, it doesn't pause the game. Which means the timer keeps counting down while the ad plays.... just lost 21k because I still had a ball left on the table when the timer was up. Really could have used that extra 30 seconds....:(