Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Fullquiver13

Fullquiver13 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Avionics engineer
    Michigan, USA
    Collectible Planes - How many are there?

I just received a Bobcat from Nimblebit today and realized I really don't have an idea of how many collectible event planes there are (Do they all appear in the Airpedia?)
    I just saw Aly talking about a P-40 warhawk (never even knew about that one). I have the Blimp, Hot air balloon, Starship, X10, Seaknight, Huey, and now Bobcat. I see there is a Concorde and C-130 Hercules that everyone is looking for. Any others?

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Mapple x10 is not rare just mac exclusive.

3. sir_robert_72

sir_robert_72 Well-Known Member

I guess most people here would probably disagree with me but I'd say leave the bux runs alone at this stage. In my opinion you don't have enough coins to stand the extensive losses that can accumulate from the strategy. I would be using the sequoias on the London to Tokyo route, that will bring in some steady coins and gives you an hour off into the bargain. Once you get to the point where you have more substantial basic finance you can switch to some bux harvesting.

This is of course just an opinion, and you must play the game your way. Main thing is to enjoy it :)

4. Flying Duck

Flying Duck Active Member

Oct 25, 2012
    My "strategy" is quite different from most on here. I decided that I want to enjoy playing a varied game rather than progress quickly, so I have around 30 airports open.

In Europe I have London, Paris and Istanbul as my class 3 airports, I have Barcelona and Madrid as class 2 and Glasgow, Belfast, Manchester, Munich, Athens as my class 1 airports. Across the rest of the world I have class 2 & 3 open - Sydney and Honolulu at the extremes for the big Bux jobs and a scattering of others across the globe.

It's not the most efficient strategy but allows my to have fun while progressing at a reasonable rate.

5. CastlePage

CastlePage Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I agree with Sir Roberts.

You have 12 plane slots, 46k coins and 111 bux. At this point in time, you can't even comfortably buy a class 3 airport.

I think you should try to grow your coins and expand the number of plane slots. Put your long haul planes to run the NY-Tokyo 25% trips. During that 1-2 hr flight, you can send out planes on short trips; either doing the San Jose jobs or just simply flying 25% trips with your smaller planes.

6. seattleheli

seattleheli Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Well, a few hours later:

GLOBAL EVENT STANDINGS, 12/27/2012 2 DAYS, 19 HRS LEFT
    1) number1ump - 925
    2) seattleheli - 808
    3) faye valentine qoh - 770
    4) copper metallic - 486
    5) gus172 - 450
    6) slightlynorth - 420
    7) ??? - 387
    8) captainbrowncoat - 360
    9) alyssacroacia - 307
    10) harmoniamundi - 233

I'm comin' for ya, number1ump!!! :D But first I'm going to bed. :eek:

7. KitFisto22

KitFisto22 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Now I remember why I statrted playing this game with such enthusiasm (never thought I would ever use that word). Its the players. The cooperation. I stopped playing for sometime because this place was dead. Now, new members, strategies, ideas, this just makes PP better. Even though I have alot to catch up on. I not once considered deleting this game. Now, Im back at it again. Still flying Cloud and Liner from Los Angeles to New York to Istanbul to Beijing. Strait shot. With their "cousin",mg new Kringle Kruiser Santa, flying N.Y. to L.A. Soon I hope to add the angel of my fleet, the Concorde. With this all said,

KITFISTO22 IS MAKING A COMEBACK!
    (Changed GC name to _imorange.)

8. Slightlynorth

Slightlynorth Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    #11148 Slightlynorth, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    Here is my setup for this particular event.

I have two configurations going at once. One is the event, the other is BUX farming.

For the event I have a pretty simple system of sending planes from NYC and LA (via Oaxaca) to San Jose and back on non-stop round trips. Every flight is profitable this way so I am not losing any coin. I am supporting this system with 29 (*Ahem*) Mapples. This allows me to send as many or as few as I feel like and just keep rotating back to the start city waiting for me to send them again. Efficient and more than enough to keep me busy if I have a lot of free time to play. Using NYC and LA also fits into my other config quite well...

The other config is for BUX, for which I am using 7 Cloudliner-P and 7 Cloudliner-C planes. Each one sits in a different city collecting only BUX jobs and only moves on when completely full. Since these are not the M planes, there is no need to worry about running out of slots and having to fill the other type with coin jobs just to move the plane on. If a plane gets to a city where another is already waiting, I unload a few from the emptiest one to pack the other and send it on it's way. On paper, every flight loses a TON of coin, but they are actually very profitable since the value of the BUX eventually will be a lot more. To support this process, I have a loop of L3 cities that the planes run around. Once full, they hop to the next city in the loop and then wait to be full again.

The loop is:
    Tokyo - Tehran - Paris - New York - Los Angeles - Rio de Janeiro - Kinshasa - Jakarta - Tokyo

Ideally I would add another 4 of each type of Cloudliner to this setup, but that is almost 7k more bux than I want to spend at this time. :p

Edited to add: I do all of this while listening to Red Fang!!

9. GLRYRDR

GLRYRDR Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Yep :/ and Mobage support is absolutely worthless. They just send me the same copy and pasted email about uninstalling and reinstalling.

10. alyssacroacia

alyssacroacia Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    Are Sequoias worth upgrading?

ME TOO!!! >_>

I'm done with San Jose; I guess I'll focus on accumulating coins via my 3 sequoias. What # of slots should I expand to? 12 to __?

maybe I'll work on earning the 15 bux that comes from completing a minor event.

WELCOME BACK! Nice to meetcha! I'll add you on GC in a bit. Did you see my trade a few page(s) ago? Need anything?

good idea...hmmm....

what is an L3 city? "Loop 3?"

11. Slightlynorth

Apr 24, 2009
    Level 3. The red ones on the map.

12. alyssacroacia

alyssacroacia Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! lol!! >_<

I'm more familiar with the term C3 or Class 3 :p

13. sir_robert_72

sir_robert_72 Well-Known Member

14. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    now that I'm back into the game. jumping ship to toucharcade1

can't say I play it a ton but i'll contribute where I can!

15. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    29 Mapples and 14 Cloudliners, nice and unusual setup dude lol ;)

Thks for sharing your layout with us. Quite interesting.
    I dig the loop idea, instead of my twin hub setup.
    I guess you don't bother to send planes with San Jose jobs to NY and just fill the Mapples with Ny and LA job pool.

I'm a bit perplex at the use of cloudliners P and C for the Bux strategy though.
    Why would you need 17 or 34 slots for bux collecting on each airport?
    I use non upgraded Cyclone Ms, and with the twin hub strategy, swapping them is pretty fast.
    Are you trying this setup and got rid of all your usual other planes?
    Or maybe I didn't understand well.
    Do you unload the Bux jobs collected on the next airport of your loop or do you just leave them in the plane until you get to the Bux job airport, thus eliminating the layovers management?

Now I'll google Red Fang ;)

16. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    also. should I wait for sequoias to come around now?

I have 122,000 coins
    328 bux
    level 18
    14 plan slots
    -5 Aeroeagle m's
    -1 Pearjet m
    -the rest a mix of roo's (in asia) and others (in south america)
    Usually having these bring the jobs to Rio and Bejing then the bigger planes bringing those jobs across the map

I have:
    Lima
    Rio De Janeiro
    Sao Paulo
    Bueno Aires
    Kinshasa
    Karachi
    Beijing
    Shanghai
    Tokyo

Should I open more airports? plane slots? buy more planes? expand to Europe or NA?
    I'm terrible at strategy in the game, Any advice would be appreciated!

Go toucharcade1

17. RLangley91

RLangley91 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    It seems like Nimblebit were listening to my whinge yesterday morning - whilst I didn't get a Concorde or C-130 today, I did get an Aeroeagle-M, which (has I'm currently hangering my Class 1 planes and replacing them with Class 2s and 3s) I've been able to put into instant use.

So here's hoping that they continue giving me good (preferably non-Bux) goodies between now and (I believe) New Year's Day.

18. Slightlynorth

Apr 24, 2009
    #11158 Slightlynorth, Dec 27, 2012
    Basically, it is for ease of picking up whenever I want. And yes, eliminating layovers is key for me. I used to use the hub system with feeders sequoias, but it was getting complicated, so I tried a couple of more simple systems until I landed on this one. No matter what state it was in the last time I collected bux, I know the next time a plane is full, I send it counter clockwise along the route. Zero brain power needed. And like I said before, the decision to use P/C instead of M planes is simply so I can fill a plane 100% with green and send it on it's way. The uneven split on cloudliner-m annoys me to no end.

OH, and Red Fang. Watch the video for "Wires". Pretty much the best music video made in years! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGgwZeYj57Y

19. CastlePage

CastlePage Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    #11159 CastlePage, Dec 27, 2012
    The phrase that caught my attention and left me gasping so hard that the rest of the post could not register in my brain :eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    This somewhat explains why he has the longest name amongst the TA1 members:
    SomewhatSlightlyUberDuberInfinitelyExtremelyExtraordinarilySeverelySuperblyNorth

Each upgrade costs 24bux. I think right now, it'll probably be more worthwhile for you to buy more sequoias than upgrade them.

I did upgrade my sequoias range-wise so that I can fly direct Jakarta - Kinshasa, Kinshasa-NY and London-Lima. I didn't bother with speed because I've accepted that sequoias are slow. I also didn't bother with cost because I don't need to care about coins now. Another sequoia is infinitely more helpful than a lighter sequoia.

Number of plane slots -- I think at least 15 ? I had about 20 or so when I switched to bux collection strategies and 22 was quite "tight" for me that I exchanged bux to buy more plane slots.

20. Slightlynorth

Apr 24, 2009
    Haha!