Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. alyssacroacia

alyssacroacia Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    Huh?

Is it just me, or...

...are there like NO jobs?!

7 planes in service; all in Geraldton
    - 2 have nothing to take to Jakarta
    - 4 have 1 item to take to Jakarta
    - 1 has 2 items to take to Jakarta

I've waited three times for the jobs to refresh naturally and I still have NO NEW JOBS!!!! I'va fallen back from #34 to #60! This is ridiculous. Anybody else having this problem? Am I doing something wrong? :(

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #10602 Snowbird, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    Are you advertising?

I am noticing a lack of jobs too. Even with advertising on I am finding some of my class 3 cities only get 1-3 jobs. Without advertising some of my cities also had no jobs come up after refresh.

edit:
    Oh my mistake, I didn't read your post very clearly. Just end your planes empty or with whatever jobs are in Geraldton back to Jakarta. Class 1 cities have very little cargo/passengers!

3. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    I joined the flight crew! Touch Arcade ftw!

4. 3wapp

3wapp Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2012

Theres your problem.

Get them out of Geraldton, and back to Jakarta, no matter what is on them. There will be plenty of jobs back in Jakarta to head to Geraldton to make up for the losses the plane might have flying partially or fully empty on the return leg.

5. Batdive

Batdive Member

Dec 21, 2012

Ok still new to this game so when are the sea knights available?

BTW I added myself to the tA1 sheet with my GC.

6. Snowbird

Jul 26, 2012
    What he said. :)

7. Snowbird

Jul 26, 2012
    At this time, Sea Knights are only available as prizes for Global Competitions. You have to watch for them to come up and when they are available, get delivering! :)

8. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    @Snowbird: No, I do not advertise my cities. Should I? I upgraded Jakarta to level 2, which cost $102,000. I don't have enough coins for anything else except flights.

@3wapp: Thanks for the advice! I opened Katherine to see if I could get more jobs. Nope. Now I'm down to $5,123 coins. :mad: I already gave up and sent my planes back to Jakarta. Thanks a lot for the help!

9. Snowbird

Jul 26, 2012
    When you advertise a city, you are advertising for people to COME to that city.
    So if you advertise Geraldton, you will find more Geraldton passengers/cargo available everywhere else.

When you upgrade an airport, you are doing two things.
    1) more outgoing jobs available
    2) more layover space

Hope that helps!

10. dantt99

dantt99 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2012
    If you are low on coins, advertising is more valuable than upgrading if you aret sending in massive amounts of layovers

11. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    @Snowbird: So if I upgrade Jakarta, that means there are more people IN Jakarta who want to go ELSEWHERE? (my intention was to upgrade Jakarta so that more people would want to come TO Jakarta.) do I have it backwards?

@dantt99: I wasn't low on coins until I upgraded Jakarta. That cost 102,000 which was pretty much all I had. The upgrade cost me all my coins. I'm not really interested in layover space - I thought upgrading an airport would be better than just buying advertisements which are temporary.

Guess I was wrong again?

12. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Like others have stated, you should definitely advertise. You will have more Geraldron jobs appearing in Jakarta (well, actually in any of your airports) making it easier to fill your planes. I sent you a GC request, I'll send something over that you can convert to nearly 30k coins, should help with advertising costs.

13. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    Thanks, Faye, I received a Cloudliner-P part from you.

However, once I accept a gift [from anybody], Pocket Planes closes. Anyone else have this happen to them?

(the part is still there, but I hate restarting the game every time)

14. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Yep, my game quits each time I receive a gift too. Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next game update. I sent 3 parts, there's prolly a delay in delivery. You should be able to get around 30k coins by selling those parts.

15. coastcat

coastcat Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    #10615 coastcat, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    To clarify:

If you upgrade an airport, the airport will have more outgoing jobs and be capable of holding more layover jobs. For an event like this, you might want to upgrade the nearest class 3 city (Jakarta) so it can hold more layover jobs that you're bringing in from elsewhere.

If you advertise an airport, that increases the availability of incoming jobs. For an event like this, you would advertise Geraldton. That increases the number of Geraldton-bound jobs that you will find in other airports.

And of course, if you've upgraded those other airports, they'll have a larger number of outgoing jobs and thus possibly an even larger number of Geraldton jobs.

The fewer cities you have open, the more concentrated your jobs are and the faster you'll fully load your planes for a certain destination. I have my permanent red cities (LA, NY, Istanbul, Seoul, and Tokyo), three additional feeder cities (London, Paris, and Moscow), the red city closest to the event to use for layovers (Jakarta), and the event city (Geraldton). All the red cities are upgraded (so they have more outgoing jobs), and Geraldton is advertised (to generate more incoming jobs).

FYI, there is no need to upgrade the event city when it's a little class 1 like this. It might take many cycles to fill even 3-job planes for the 25% bonus when you're at a tiny airport. I simply fly round-trip from Jakarta to Geraldton and back.

16. Batdive

Batdive Member

Dec 21, 2012

Thanks for the info

17. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    @Faye: Thanks very much! Only two parts so far, but I'm sure you're right about the delay. I really appreciate it! :D

@coastcat: You have me a little confused. Here's my situation: 2 cities open: Geraldton & Jakarta. I upgraded Jakarta to level 2, haven't done anything with Geraldton. The reason I upgraded Jakarta was so that when my planes are in Geraldton, they would all have jobs BACK to Jakarta. Jobs to Geraldton are no problem, but I was only getting 1-2 jobs per 7 planes back to Jakarta. So basically...all I wanted was more jobs TO Jakarta from Geraldton, but looks like everyone has just been sending planes with 1 person/cargo back to Jakarta.

Are you guys sending EMPTY planes to Jakarta, too? :confused: (for those of you who have only Geraldton & Jakarta open)

18. Dsolender

Dsolender Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    A Child Tax Credit
    New York
    I'm on vacation in Ecuador so I rarely have sufficient wifi. I am definitely in the crew. I'm like rank 256.

19. Apex24

Apex24 Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Been super busy lately, haven't got much jobs in, but when I do try to play, I find myself always needing to plug my charger in my Galaxy S 4g to play, because if I don't my phone shuts after a short amount of time, this thing kills the battery!

20. dantt99

dantt99 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes, sending them from Jakarta back to Jakarta after dropping off at Geraldton. If you wanted more jobs to Jakarta, you would need to advertise, but that wont pay off.