Universal Pocket Mine 3 (by Roofdog Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VirtualBoyFreak, Sep 12, 2017.

1. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Guys i do not know if it has been mentioned but when you craft gear for example rare what you will get is rare OR better. I tried to craft a rare gear and it gave me a legendary one :D

2. lewis33

lewis33 Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Hello fellow miners! I was addicted to PM2. I'm happy here ;)
    Please add me: qjxmo125
    Happy digging!!

3. CliffAhead

CliffAhead Active Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Coming from PM2 i think I'm hooked already.

Add me Click this link to add me as friend in Pocket Mine 3.
    http://www.pocketmine3.com/invite?uid=dbbx4949

DBBX4949

4. kidd546

kidd546 Active Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Yeah, since there are 6 slots it's possible to get an unlucky streak to miss the slot you're looking for.

If you're desperate for a new pickaxe, i'd craft a bunch of rares until you hit one.

Right now I've been converting all normal/rare tokens to epics to craft. Later on I'll probably craft legendaries exclusively.

5. cyllwynn

cyllwynn Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    I wanted to update my impressions after a few hours of playing. Overall I feel like the game is still an improvement and adds some cool stuff that's worth playing from the first and second game. I also love mining games for some reason.

BUT.

The balancing is just way off. Please let me know if I'm messing something up or if you guys agree but:

Cash doubler is watching an ad for 15 minutes doubled cash. Ok. Fine. Little short.
    **BIG problem is I have spent 5 energy to run the 3rd diamond mine 2x now and then a bunch of cash to get the good cards for the run only to have the doubler timer run out while I'm in the mine and it isn't added to the final tally. This is bullshit. You lose out on 10-15k and have blown the ad, cash, and energy. This is simply stupid and a poor implementation.

Making the miners random draws is fine, but then making their skills only useable after so many hits makes them crazily luck based...not to mention that it is too easy to accidentally trigger their ability while clicking

The random gear craftin is fine. BUT not when your RNG is giving a bunch of people (like me) all the necklaces and helmets that you could walk, but I haven't seen a pair of gloves the entire game, and getting a pickax seems to be way more uncommon than the other items. Which is just bad RNG programming... or is it...

Because, add it to the weird in frequency of the items needed most to advance and do better is the fact that the mines start requiring two and three times more hints for one hit block. Meaning at the mines are scaling in the number of hits needed to get through them rapidly, but the equipment isn't scaling appropriately to match. Is this just a hidden pay wall?

And finally, having the card to be a random draw is OK as well. But it can become really costly very quickly to keep changing out cards in hopes of getting the one you want to wear is in the other game you could make a lowdown sports cards and equipment that you wanted. You should at least be able to save up money to trigger some game mechanic decreases the randomness of the card draw or let you pre-pick one card if you pay to open a slot or something.

Just my thought on what I hoped would be more fun.

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Got to say I've no real issues with the balancing but I do agree with you that the doubler could do with being longer and I don't think it's fair if it runs out in the middle of a run.

Regarding the random equipment - I've had a fair spread of everything really I've certainly not noticed getting any less of any items, could be you've just been unlucky.

I've just started level 7 and I've not felt any paywall or really had any need to grind yet- Admittedly it might get grindy later on, if I remember rightly the last one did too.

I do like the idea of having a slot where you could set your preferred load out, I'm sure that was an option in the last one?

Got to admit though I really like it a lot - enough to buy the energy extender which I never thought I'd do because I hate timers, but I figured I know how much time I'm going to put into this and I'll never buy any of the consumable iap so why not.

7. talf

talf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 2, 2012
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Montreal
    #67 talf, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Precision here. If the doubler timer expires while you're digging, you'll still have your bonus. However you won't if it expires while you shuffle your cards. The value is saved as soon as the digger drops in the mine.

I admit that it could be improved since once you are in the shuffle card screen, you are committed to play a game, energy is spent, you can't go back and the timer isn't shown.

Having multiple loadouts is a good idea, we've already tried it. But we haven't nailed a perfect integration yet. We want it to be simple and easy to manage.

As of the next update, we'll increase the max energy cap from 8 to 10. If you already bought the 8 energy, it'll auto update to 10.

8. jkilla

jkilla Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Didn't play the first two but I love this one. Friend code = DBSJ0852

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Got a legendary pick, level 4. I levelled it up a couple of stars but that seems to do nothing?

10. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    #70 hvianna, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    I'm in the same boat here. I've spent a lot of epic and legendary tokens to get the same necklaces and boots over and over. Maybe this is OS related? I'm on iOS 9.3.5.

Edit: well, I finally got new gloves and picks by crafting rare (blue) gear. Maybe there aren't many epic and legendary of these in the game yet..

11. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I've got blacksmith level 20 and normally roll epic or legendary items, depending on what coins I get. One of the very first hats I rolled was an epic with crate X-ray vision, it's so useful. I've rolled endless hats since then but not another one with that bonus

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #72 ArtNJ, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Couple issues for the developers consideration:

(1) Bought a value x5 pack for 40 gems when I had 2 of the 9 diggers unlocked one being Penny. My packs contained 3 Penny and no other diggers. I initially thought this was a bug or freak chance until I saw that there are only 2 common diggers. Highly suggest adjusting the odds or rarer diggers somewhat or at least making it clear that the other diggers are rare somehow.

(2) I've gotten sooo many duplicate items, and I'm only level 12, makes me think the item variety is not enough.

(3) I've got level 4 blacksmith, but get items that are various levels. I guess the blacksmith is a minimum? Some explanation somewhere would be useful.

(4) If you need a certain level blacksmith to get certain items, that needs to be clear, because right now I'm sticking at blacksmith 4 until I get a necklace. If there is no necklace until blacksmith level X, then I'm gonna inevitably be frustrated. And this might be what is making think there are not enough items.

13. cirezd

cirezd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Yeah there needs to be more information about gear. I've spent about 40 gold coins now trying to get a new legendary gear but I keep getting the same damn boots (tribal mukluk) that I don't want....my blacksmith is level 10

14. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    never played the previous but loved Steamworld Dig. will i like this? it looks like the ceiling is chasing you for a game over adding a stress factor, is it true? if not, i will give it a shot even with the F2p aspect

15. twohoots

twohoots Active Member

Aug 20, 2017
    It's very rare you die from the ceiling catching you up.

16. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Yes. If you take too long you'll disappear off the top of the screen and lose. This is really a frantic game where you're making quick decisions on what to dig and when.

Since I've been playing this from the soft-launch, I thought I'd chime in with a few random things players may want to know.

- Max blacksmith is 30
    - Killing enemies before they "see" you (exclamation mark) is free. After they notice you eats up your shield at the mine multiplier rate.
    - When your shield is gone, killing aware enemies uses pick strength
    - The "Galore" mines rotate daily.
    - Artifact Land mine cycles through regular adventure locations, but with more artifact chests and less mine multiplier.
    - When a card is fully upgraded, duplicates are converted into tokens (prepare to see a lot of this).
    - You will get digger cards in Premium Packs, so save your gems for the 5x pack discount.

17. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    thanks twohoots and strivemind, since you say it is true but very rare i will give it a go in a non stressful day - probably sunday :)

18. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    It seems to increase the ability of the item, not the stats, so the number of picks on it won't go up. So I'm not sure it's really worth it to upgrade things?

19. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    The upgrades are massive. I've got an amulet that started with '+10% chance to drop a bonus artifact' which now gives a 50% bonus after upgrading. Now every other chest drops 2 artifacts instead of one in ten.

20. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

#80 UnhappyUnlucky, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    :eek:
    Woah, I didn't see that coming. Thank you very much! More energy, more playtime. I don't mind watching ads for additional energy. 10 is fair. I am now a happy camper. Now excuse me as I logged off to play some more :D