iPad Pocket God update 1.03 - Earthquake!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by davecazz, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davecazz

davecazz Well-Known Member

#1 davecazz, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    [App Store Link]

Hey Everyone, Here's a new update about our app.

We just submitted a new update on Sunday night. Hopefully it should be approved Wednesday or Thursday. This time we hooked up the accelerometer and earthquake modes to the game. We also hooked the vibrate function up to some of the events like when lava hits the ground.

Unfortunately we couldn't get to the texture optimization items on our list because we introduced 14 new states for the pygmies and it was quite the chore making sure we didn't accidently trigger bad states because more than one thing got triggered at a time. Here's an idea of the level of detail in the pygmy states, when you tilt the phone to the right, the pygmies first lose their balance (while maintaining the direction they initially faced). then if you tilt more, they fall either on their butt or face depending on which way they are facing, and start to slide off the island until you hold the phone right side up, or you turn it upside down at which point they either hang onto the island if they are facing the ground, or fly into the upside down sky. Every state in this sequence has a "correct" way to recover back to their initial idle state which opens a lot of potential bugs if you try and throw complex motions at the app (or toss in an eruption in the middle of the whole thing).

Also, the accelerometer, which is easy to hook up, is pretty difficult to master. I have a new respect for the few games like blue attack and space ninja that use the accelerometer well. It turns out, if you shake the phone up and down, on the top of the upswing or the start of the down swing, the phone gives you the same signal as if it was turned upside down. You can solve the problem by delaying the signal (make sure it registers upside down for more than a certain period of time) but then you lose responsiveness. So it took a lot of trial and error to get it to "feel" right. This is one area where we could definitely use some feedback from people. Since we worked on it, it's easy to think it feels good but the real truth comes out when people actually get their hands on it.

Btw, I wouldn't normally say that any of this is a big deal, it's just we basically have about a day and a half to make these updates each week. :D

Our next update should be a really fun one and we are looking to release it again next Sunday night. We will be playing with some cool dynamic lightning effects and exploding pygmies to try and get some interactive buddy style play into the app. We thought about throwing bombs or grenades at the pygmies, or even have the lightning create explosions on the ground, but what's funnier than making a pygmy into a grenade!

We are also putting more thought time into game play elements. I am starting to think that it might be cool to do something like Patapon minus the music beat controls. You would manage the guys from afar as their god as they go into battle but they would be autonomous in the way they attack the bad guys. We will probably start off with a simple battle mode where you just toss an enemy onto the island (or other location) for them to deal with and fine tune it into something the community really likes and then start expanding it into a story where you can level your guys and upgrade abilities.

We will probably start this in a few weeks after we get lighting, hurricanes, and some customizations of the island.

2. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    You are my favorite dev of all time. Lol, but really, im just impressed at how much you've listened to us. Awesome work

3. kramszed

kramszed Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
  4. davecazz

davecazz Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's fun to make this into a community thing... and it actually feels a little like therapy to let out these talk about our process on the site :)

5. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the updates and keeping us involved. For those of us that wish we could be developers but don't know the first thing, it's really cool to be "part of the process". Thanks.

6. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Rarely do I see devs coming up with so much new content for their apps. I haven't bought this app yet, but I think I will pretty soon, with all this new content coming out. Really, if the app store had more devs that had this much interest in the community, it would be a heck of a better place.

7. Sierra275

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    I'm gonna buy this as soon as I get my allowance. All your plans sound really cool, especially the interactive buddy style thing. Just a word of caution: make sure it's acceptable by app store standards.

8. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Since you play God you could add a giant foot that stomps on ALL the pygmies at once. BTW, I don't think Apple will mind exploding pygmies if Payback recieved a 12 and up.

9. Sierra275

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    True. There was quite a bit of blood in Payback. But don't make them explode too realistically.

10. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Definitely. Hearts and limbs flying all over isn't going to pass Apple, though I can't be sure since Zombie Attack scraped by with a flippin' 9 and up. How the heck did Apple screw that up?! That might earn an M rating if the ESRB rated it.

11. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    pointless

I'm sorry but since the release I have found this to be an absolutely pointless app. And cruel on top of that.

Can anyone explain then to me WHY on earth I just clicked the buy app button?

I have a major complaint: I seem to be unable to bond with my islanders. I have hurt a few and killed many, but I'm not too bothered because there always seem to be plenty more, unlike the goldfish at home which end up being expensive to replace. Them islanders are now referring to me as the evil spirit of Kilauea.

Looking forward to more of this nonsense. Very therapeutic!

Love the idea of explosions, and sharks...

12. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    You clicked the buy app because davecazz told you to. And with his legions of undying pygmies he threatened to storm your house and throw pygmie grenades through your window (Kidding! He's too nice and wouldn't do that!). I still am not sure if you want to bond with your islanders or not. I mean, they all look the same, behave the same, walk the same, scream the same, and they replenish the same way too. Was this a joke, btw? I seriously don't feel like making my full response because I'm too lazy.

13. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    just bought it, pretty fun lol. But it definately needs more and I can't wait for the updates.

Here are some suggestions I got:

-the ability to stack pygmies one on top of another to create a tower, and then you can take the one on the bottom out or tilt to make them all fall.

-they should do stuff, like in the middle of taking a pee break and then you takem and through them into a volcano, that would really piss them off (get it?). Something like that, maybe they could be digging for a pirate treasure, and when they find it and they are celebrating you Smack'em with the pirate chest (lol, deliciously evil)

-maybe also, the abilty to put the tree and the statue in different places, and maybe also smack the islanders with it.

14. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Just wondering...

Is there sound with this app? Looks like a lot of fun, and easier to take my frustrations out on this app. than on my actual employees...:D

15. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    yup, there is sound! screaming pygmies and background music.

16. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    First thing I wanted to do was hang one of the little folks in the tree, pull the tree back, and let him fly! Stacking them would be good too, great idea...:p

looking forward to the next update!

17. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    ^^^ I like his ideas.

18. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I like this idea a lot. :D

19. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Omg, that would be awesome! I would to splatter them against the side of the volcano...

20. SydneyS

SydneyS Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    The planned updates look great! I can't wait