Pocket God 1.10 - A Mighty Wind!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by davecazz, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davecazz

davecazz Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

So, this week was kind of a milestone for us, we released 10 updates in 10 weeks and our 11th update is in review right now. It’s kind of funny that our new update is about hurricanes because that's exactly what it has felt like since we started in January.

This was a fun one to work on for me, the last few have been fairly heavy on the art side, but this one was mainly a programming effects based update. We have wanted to do Hurricanes for a while but I've been a little concerned that I wouldn’t have the time to do it justice, but once I got into it and created the initial algorithm for doing the whirlwind, everything just started falling in place and Sunday night it all just came together at the last minute like usual. I think you will like it, it’s pretty interactive and the pygmies look awesome when they are being whipped around in three dimensions.

In other news, today I submitted our order for our figures. Here's a pic for those who haven’t seen it yet.

[​IMG]

We ordered 10 of them, 1 for each of us, and 8 to give away to big review sites at the Game Developers Conference next week. If people are interested, they cost $90 apiece and if I get enough orders I can have them do another run. I'll post pics of the final product when I get them.

This also marks the beginning of the 3rd week at the top paid app position, we know that it can be a pretty steep decline once you start moving down so we are looking for ways to extend our time at #1. Mainly it involves finding big sites that can write reviews for us (our MacWorld and fox news reviews when live this week) but we are also looking for new ways of generating interest. I think Allan’s viral video should be done before we start working on the next update (it is awesome), and we should have our WallPaper Apple contest on our blog tomorrow. Hmmm, I wonder if we have a good prize for the contest. Something that’s much better than a T shirt and a limited edition with only 10 in existence?

Technology wise, everything was put into the hurricane effect but I did manage to create a cool tool that can take key framed animation from flash and dump it into our engine, we are now using it to animate the tree, where each palm branch and the trunk is its own bitmap and we just move, rotate, and scale the pieces instead of having a giant png for each frame. This will be a life saver for us, because keyframed animation is small, we can finally start animating bigger objects without it impacting us so much.

A Might Wind! was posted on Monday night so it should be available Friday.

The next update.... what can I say about it... I guess it’s a subject that appears in the New Testament quite a bit. It will also be a nice update and probably the closest to a mini game that we have built so far.

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Thanks for the update. I always look forward to your weekly updates. As for the figurines, I'd be interested in seeing the final pics, and maybe ordering one. Look kind of nice sitting on my desk :)

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Personally, I think you could really expand your interested user base by including more gameplay elements in to Pocket God. My girlfriend (not really a gamer) absolutely cannot get enough of Pocket God. On the other hand, someone like me, who was practically born with an Atari joystick in my hand gets bored pretty quick. I love the weekly updates, and how you seem to be working in parodies of popular games (Like this recent vampire update and iDracula) has been really amusing.

At the end of the day, Pocket God is a great title for 99 cents, I just think you'd rope in a LOT more customers if you had some gameplay elements beyond flicking dudes in to a volcano. Even really basic first generation tamagotchi-like functions would probably go a long way in piquing the interest of new customers.

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Thanks for the new topic!

Dave, did you or Allan also "fix" the cloudy sky which looks tiled in the current version?

5. davecazz

Patreon Indie

Hey Hodapp, thanks for the feedback, we are actually looking to move the game in the direction you are talking about. I was actually thinking of adding a combat mini game that is sort of like Patapon but we are just limited by time and improving our engine enough so it will support everything we need (dynamic text). I think the update after this next one will push us a little more in this direction but our original promise was to build this to the point where it has game play and we intend on getting there soon.

6. davecazz

Patreon Indie

yes, the cloud tiel mark is fixed along with a lot of other bugs that TA users found.

7. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    nice i look forward to this update on friday. still trying to figure out the new testament..not a bible person :p

8. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Thank you! :)

9. davecazz

Patreon Indie

I'm not a bible person either, but here's another hint. you can find them on the back of cars.

10. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    First, I want to say I really enjoy Pocket God. But I feel compelled to stick my nose where it doesn't belong.

You guys offer an ever-expanding experience for a mere dollar on the appstore. At this point in time, it is the #1 paid app, which is like saying it receives the most publicity of any other paid app out there (relatively speaking).

My question is: are you guys still getting significant amounts of people buying the game each week? I would think that whoever wanted the game, would have it by now. If my assumptions are right, does this mean that frequent updates won't happen for much longer? I understand everything has a life cycle, but I'm just trying to get an idea.

The reason I ask is that I'd hate to see this product end. It has seemingly endless possibilities for features that can only come to an end if they are no longer financially supported.

11. stargazer513

Dec 19, 2008
    now uve got me thinking...back of car + new testament = pocketgod 1.11
    back of a car..bumper..exhaust pipe..license plate..
    LOL im not a car person either :D ill just let the smarter people figure it out

12. Ash

Ash Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    sydney Australia
    im am so freakin excited thnx Dave and Allan,

btw dave are u should make each pygmie cost money every time u hit the + button, in the coming 3.0 software update :p

JKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i mean JKKKKS

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Even really simple stuff like a rock, paper, scissors game, or a game where your islanders hide the coconut from you and you have to guess which one has it would really go a long way in adding things to do.

Patapon-type stuff might be too ambitious. Your weekly update cycle seems to be working great, and if I were you I wouldn't do much to deviate from that especially with your existing users expecting such constant updates.

14. stargazer513

Dec 19, 2008
    LOL hahaha!! 99cents per pygmie from the sky..thats like..billions revenue

15. Ash

Ash Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    sydney Australia
  16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Games don't stay on the top selling charts by having a cool icon, they're there because people are buying them. ;)

17. rik555

rik555 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Well alot of people have a fish symbol on the back of their car for religious beliefs so my guess is that the next update will either be a flood or shark attacks or something along those lines

18. IAmAlive

IAmAlive Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Intern.
    Austin, TX.
    Hmmm, I'm ready for some Pygmie Fishing!

19. stargazer513

Dec 19, 2008
    ohhhh rik555 u r very smart. even i know there is some sort of flood in the bible..and noahs ark or something...that means its probably the TSUNAMI!!!

20. Ash

Ash Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    sydney Australia
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG, i can keep going OMG OMG OMG......etc............... THAT WOULD BE FREAKIN AWESOME

i hope Dave gives it away like he did with Mighty wind :D :D :D