iPad Pocket Gamer App...Where is TouchArcade's App?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mek, Nov 15, 2008.

1. mek

mek Well-Known Member

2. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Google Reader? Newsstand? ;)

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I'm looking into it. though, honestly, how useful such an app? Don't people naturally go web browser?

arn

4. I have no problem at all using the web browser for the TA blog and forum.

5. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Like I said before. Download an RSS Reader. Start subscribing. Problem solved. I don't like those kind of apps. They just take up space and are unnecessary. Imagine if every site had their own app...

6. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Agreed, I think a web app would make more sense, that way if you want to have it on your homescreen, you can.

7. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

A web app would be better and cheaper :p to have easy, on the go access to the videos, news and reviews.
    Twitter is great for keeping up to date, but sometimes you want to look at older stuff that you may have missed.

8. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    It's up for debate whether a TouchArcade app is needed. If it does get made, it should be a cross between TA and AppShopper.

9. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    RSS is a good solution if the site has a special iPhone/Mobile-layout or a full content RSS feed. If you look at the Wikipedia apps you can see it's very useful to have special apps that change the layout of a normal website to fit on the iPhone screen and make it more readable.

10. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    #10 aghartastudio, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    why not having an iphone detection at the index of the site? (switching to iPhone format when browsing on the device)
    I did that for my site and it works well... it's transparent for the user (no need to download app) and quite easy to do!

11. crapz1967

crapz1967 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    I don't know if a touchArcade native app would make so much sense, too. But maybe for all of you who want an application, arn could try something like AppLoop (?). Dunno if its as good as praised on their site ;)...

12. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Touch Arcade renders rather well on the iPhone as-is. Not sure how much benefit there is to switching users over to an alternative format when an iPhone is detected. If a "mobile" version of Touch Arcade emerges on the web, it would be an option / separate URL, not a forced switch depending on device context.

blakespot

13. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Well, the comments like to crash my mobile Safari when I type in a few letters. The textareas in the forum work without problems.