Pocket Frogs by NimbleBit

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by eeenmachine, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    With around 7,000 possible frogs (for now) that would take you quite awhile!

2. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Any chance your frog "collection" will be shared across devices if someone owns a iPhone and iPad? Would be cool to have access to my game no matter which device I play on.

3. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    In order to support offline play we have to assume the game is only being played on a single device to avoid synchronization issues. If you are careful about not alternating devices while offline it might work but there are a lot of potential problems.

4. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    eeenmachine: any eta on this? Like, is it submitted yet?

5. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Damn! 7000. That is some variety.

I'm guessing not friend, as it says Summer in the description.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So is there a limit to how many frogs you can own at one time? And what's the official word on "rare" frogs? Are there mysterious and elusive frogs out there we'll have to really work for?

7. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, just like in games like Tap Fish each habitat will only be able to hold a certain number of frogs at a time and there will be a maximum number of habitats. Part of the game is managing which frogs to keep in your stable to be able to hit breeding targets without much work.

We're considering having some breeds that aren't available in the FrogMart, and could only be discovered out in the pond or sent to you by a friend.

8. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    So other than this, what is the pond used for?

9. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    By taking a frog to the pond you can increase its happiness by jumping it around, and also reduce its hunger by eating bugs. In the pond you might also stumble upon habitat decorations or other game items.

10. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    How close are you to submission? A week, a few weeks?

11. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'd say close to 2 months, still lots to do!

12. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #32 Mew2468, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
    Is enough of the game completed to make a gameplay teaser? :D

13. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    #33 Vinvy, Jul 13, 2010
    The article on TA said there are three specific genetic traits that can be bred into frogs? Is it possible to give us an idea of what this means?

I am hoping this means there is more to breed than just visuals.. Frogs should have random attributes and traits that are passed down as well that aren't attached to the 'type'(pattern and colour) of the frogs. Being able to have a red and white spotted frog is nice, but I want to be able to breed one that is intelligent and a type O blood type as well, with a gemini star sign, as an example. And I want to breed that with a frog that is a cancer, so that I can get a red and white spotted frog that is intelligent, type O, and cancer.

I think you should pick up Pokemon to check out the breeding system, or at least read a FAQ on it. There are a lot of hidden attributes, and little details, that make the system quite in depth and fun. I also hope that there is a properly thought out recessive and dominant system for the traits, so getting frogs just right is actually a pedigree puzzle.

14. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #34 Mew2468, Jul 13, 2010
    I agree; the Pokemon breeding system is extremely well thought out.

The recessive and dominant system could contribute to the rarity of certain frogs. For example, certain colour / pattern genes would be recessive, making them rarer and harder to breed for.

Normally, I'd prefer an extremely deep breeding system like in Pokemon, but for some reason Pocket Frogs strikes me as a game that would benefit with a simpler, visual based breeding system.

15. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I guess my fear is that if it is just based on frogs having two colours and a pattern, it will be too easy for people to have the exact same frog. If you have well thought out traits and attributes, then two blue and yellow striped frogs can still be compared, and maybe the one with the quick trait is considered more ideal in a trade. And also, it won't necisarily complicate things, because some people won't care about anything beyond breeding a brown frog with a squiggly line, it will just allow for an extra layer of depth for the more dedicated players that won't settle there, and really want to breed the perfect brown frog.

How the system is implemented in this sort of game is what creates replayability, and what will keep players coming back I think.

I am also curious whether the frogs will be a-sexual, or if there will be male and female frogs.. obviously, i would prefer having both sexes haha.

16. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    We're definitely trying to strike a balance between casual and hardcore when it comes to the breeding (hee hee that sounded dirty).

One of the biggest facets of the the breeding aspect will be the various breeding challenges which only last for days or weeks. Players will have to keep a diverse enough stock of breedable frogs (or get lucky) in order to hit the breeding target and be handsomely rewarded.

17. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Do the frogs die after a certain amount of time, or is it a personal decision for them to leave the habitats (cataloguing / releasing)?

18. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    They will become a little depressed and hungry, but they will never die or leave the habitat on their own. You can sell them or gift them to a friend to get rid of them.

19. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    woot trade them w/ friends :D, can we name the frogs?

20. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Woot! :D