Universal Pocket Boxing Legends (by Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Dec 30, 2009.

1. uberarcade

uberarcade Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Software Developer
    Nashville
    I love punch out and on one hand I am happy to see a game similar to it on the iphone, but I agree with other posts that this is too much of a rip off. The animations are ripped directly off the arcade version, and the characters are too close to the original nintendo ones. Why not put some more originality into the game or at least do your own animations?

2. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I'm familiar only with the GBA port of Wade Hixson's boxing. What did you like most about the DS version (besides the cool mullet)?

3. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I personally like the nod to the generic green haired boxer and the over-the-top looney-tune-esque knockdowns. And technically, I like how sliding around sprites gives the illusion of smooth animation for player and opponent punches that consist of a mere 2-3 animation keyframes in exaggerated poses. But more important is the gameplay, controls, and AI. I'd like to think that any fan of 1980s arcade games would find this an enjoyable trip down memory lane and appreciate it for what it is, in the same spirit as Glypha or Zanshin or Vector Tanks classic. etc.

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Its FREE for today folks hurry up and download its a pretty good game.

5. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I almost spat out my coffee laughing at one of the (predictable) 1 star reviews that trickled in thanks to going free, asserting that it is mindless button mashing with winning/losing being totally luck. He's obviously not checked out the OpenFeint leaderboards, which have seen a lot of impressive action lately, and something I hope this giveaway further stimulates.

If any of the folk here that already reviewed the game get a chance to resubmit their review for the current 1.2 version, that would be most appreciated.

If anyone at TA picked this game up full price last week, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to make it up to you.

6. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    yessir!

7. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    the reviews seem bad, is this any good?

8. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Look to "all reviews."

If you like the original Punchout 1983 game, it's safe to say that you'll love Pocket Boxing. If you aren't familiar with that game, you'll probably find Pocket Boxing difficult.

When Nintendo ported Punchout arcade to the NES (the version that most people are familiar with), they made several changes to make it easier and give it more mass appeal:
    1. exaggerated tells: opponents wiggle eyebrows, etc. before attacking
    2. you can dodge any_ opponent attack (not just power punches) and counter attack.

(2) is probably the biggest departure between Punchout Arcade and the NES game. In the NES game, you can sit there and dodge any attack (including jabs), then land multiple punches. In the arcade original (and in Pocket Boxing), opponents recover quickly after jabbing, so it's better to keep your guard up, absorb jabs, and only dodge/counter power punches.

9. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    This game is great. It would have been well worth the original price and is an absolute steal for free. This is literally the best giveaway I've ever come across on that site.

Will do, as soon as I get a free chunk of time here.

It's a real shame when you do something extremely nice for the community like offering your app for free, you're going to get slammed by a bunch of people that just download it for free, play it for about 20 seconds without actually paying much attention, then leave a 1 star review.

Suffice it to say that the rest of us thank you and appreciate it... a lot.

10. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Seconded. I won the first fight and had my butt handed to me on the second. Controls feel good and I clearly lost because I didn't have a strategy or know what u was doing :). An going through the Training again and will just read the text at the top this time.

Gonna give good review on iTunes. And the game is not bloatware either :)

11. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Quick tip: you can rematch Mad Moose directly from Time Challenge to get familiar with his tactics.

The 1.3 update is slated to include features aimed to make the game more accessible for folk that might otherwise get frustrated with the difficulty:
    - new beginner circuit
    - allow unlimited rematches during "road to the title"
    - "best bouts" watch expert players take out each opponent via recorded games

12. Man, I was totally transported back to my teen years in Southern California at the local arcade ("Tilt" in Laguna Hills Mall).

Glass Joe and Bald Bull! LOL! I put a ton of quarters into the original Punch Out.

This game is really fun, and a great tribute to the original.

Nice work Phil!

13. Bigbro

Bigbro Active Member

Aug 7, 2009
    everywhere
  14. design219

design219 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Hey, neat game, and nice work. Thanks. I'll drop a review this evening.

15. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I appreciate it. I feel bad for the impulse buyers that struggling to figure out how to win. Hopefully the 1.3 update will address that nicely.

16. design219

design219 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Dropped you a review. Lot of fun, thanks.

17. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    A pair of 1.3 updates was submitted to Apple last night for lite and full versions of the game.

It now includes (after losing a match) a pair of buttons that pop up:

"Rematch" (lets you rematch that opponent immediately, without having to restart "Road to the Title" from the beginning).

"How to Win" - presents video showcasing how to beat the tar out the opponent that just kicked your butt. Rather than bloat the app with actual video, I packed a recorded game session as a collection of timestamped button presses along with a seed for the randomizer. It's all working quite well, except for Palooka Pete, where the recording gets out of sync and so the player ends up getting beaten to a pulp during the demo.

I'm going to leave the app free until the 1.3 update is approved by Apple, so feel free to grab it while you can.

18. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #98 GregB, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    "gets beaten to pulp during the demo."

That's funny as h@ll !

Are you making an iPad version?

19. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Many thanks to freeAppCalendar.com and everyone that downloaded during the giveaway period for propelling Pocket Boxing to #3 sports and #8 arcade in the US AppStore.

To answer your question, I'm making ipad versions of xiangqi and cardshark, but have no plans to make an ipad-specific version of Pocket Boxing at this point in time.

20. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    pocket boxing 1.3 is out

Now featuring unlimited rematches during "road to the title" and optional video help available after losing a match.

For anyone that missed the giveaway,
    I've got a fresh batch of promo codes. 1st 50 people to download the lite, defeat Jersey Joe, and pm me their openfeint handle can have one.