Universal Pocket Boxing Legends (by Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Beating Rasta King first try... I'm really impressed!

Title Defense is a shorter circuit, but much more intense.

Rasta puts up more of a fight in the rematch - he lays off the herb.
    The rematch with Palooka Pete (final bout) is the hardest fight in the game by a long shot.

Anyway, I've reached out via IM to pay out the prize. I'm looking forward to the 1.1 update's approval as much as anyone. I can't wait to see what times people end up posting on the leaderboards.

2. spursrule

spursrule Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    The title defense is racking up the losses. Here are all the lightning bolts.
    [​IMG]

3. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    holy contest, batman!

While my wallet is getting lighter by the day, it's fun to see a sneak peak at people's best times while waiting for OpenFeint support in the full version to come online.

Some good news on that front - Apple's finally moved the update to the full version from "Waiting for Review" to "In Review" state. Barring any problems, it could come online in the AppStore as soon as tonight/tomorrow.

4. spursrule

Mar 21, 2009
    Wanted to say Thank You! I got shipping notice this afternoon.

Title defense is tough. I can get thru the first two now pretty well, but rasta is killing me. I just can't seem to duck, even when I know its coming. I did manage to beat him in a minute flat without being touched. But that was in the regular mode (trying to get some of the awards). Is the Moose McGee one possible? I did it twice, once in the Time Challenge screen and once in the regular mode, but it never game me credit.

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    To me personally, the significant difference between this and KO Boxing is the following:

In KO, they took the basic mechanic of the Nintendo game and expanded on it, adding their own fighters, moves, etc. This game shamelessly steals Nintendo's game outright, fighters, moves and all.

I still can't fathom how this is "ok." If somebody did something remotely similar to a high profile game of one of the developers who frequent these forums, there'd be an outcry.

One thing I do know, is I will not support a developer who displays such arrogance, unconscionable behaviour, and absolute and utter lack of imagination as whoever is responsible for this game.

6. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    When fighting 2nd Rasta King, I like to keep my finger near the duck button at all times. You can then easily duck his haymakers and uppercuts... ducking won't avoid his hooks to the body, but if he does hit you there, at least it's one of his weakest punches, and he'll always follows up with a predictable 2nd body blow which can be easily countered. It's an ugly fight, but one of the easier matches using this strategy.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Have you download the game and played through it?

8. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    This is the last time I'm going to address this, and I'll probably regret doing so.

Pocket Boxer is based on a popular 1984 arcade game, mashed up with a popular movie series, and adopted to a touch screen. I consider the original arcade game one of the greatest games of all time. If there had already been a game in the AppStore that captured it's spirit, I would never have bothered to create it. This isn't the first or last time that an arcade or PC game will be remade for iphone/ipod by a developer/fan. For what it's worth, every audio, graphic resource in Pocket Boxer was created from scratch, some in 3d, at great personal expense. Getting the AI and physics tweaked to feel right was no easy feat.

At the current rate, the game is hardly tearing up sales charts. It's on track to recover its development costs sometime in 2025. Call it a homage, call it a ripoff - it is what it is. I enjoy playing it and I'm glad it's picked up some appreciative players.

9. fazfznz

fazfznz Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Student
    California
    great game but i already went over my monthly budget for itunes games, and in just two games. :eek:. Got a twitter? i'd be interested in following especially for a promo code. Also if it counts for anything i think your game is very distinguishable from the SNES game and playing the lite it def has a different feel, for me personally at least.

10. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    achievements

My brother and I tested all the achievements in 1.0, and they all worked (including Moose). Keep in mind that they (and local best times) only register if you're playing on 'normal' difficulty. You can earn them in either time challenge or regular mode.

In my opinion, the hardest one by far is for Mean Bean - you have to beat him down without letting him lay a finger on you, which means you have to dodge/duck even his jab, not block it.

11. spursrule

Mar 21, 2009
    Then I am sure I am just not timing it quite right. I get him knocked down, but will keep trying.

I havent played it on easy, just went into the settings to lock it into landscape mode. I think its a little easier that way.

On the other note, if you had included a zombie I am sure he would have loved it lol.

I am sending my brother one of my prizes with the understanding that he MUST buy pocket boxing. I wish there was an easier way to purchase an app and give that out as a gift instead.

12. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    The timing to knock Moose McGee down when he's charging is pretty generous. I usually use a standing right, just as he comes into range. I'll retest as soon as 1.1 gets approved.

On a related note, you can get a really good time against Moose if you manage to knock him down before he charges the first time. You can do this more often than not by leading with a jab and provoking him into attacking. He'll charge shortly after getting back up, opening himself up to a follow-up one hit knockdown and landing you pretty much with a perfect KO time. I've come close to knocking him down twice before he charges, but don't think it's possible.

I'm not sure whether I like portrait or landscape mode better, but I agree that the orientation lock sure comes in handy.

13. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #73 Stroffolino, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    1.1 update is out

Pocket Boxer 1.1, an update to the full version with remastered voices and OpenFeint support, has finally started trickling out. I must say that I'm really enjoying seeing the leaderboards populate in real time. You can see the leaderboards dedicated to earlier opponents growing more quickly than those for the tougher boxers, giving a nice sense of the difficulty curve.

14. pwalsh1980

pwalsh1980 New Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Champion

I won the title circuit over Palooka Pete! Almost lightnings on everyone.

Attached Files:

15. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Great work! I was getting "worried" that SpursRules would end up taking all three prizes. I'll get you your gift certificate tonight.

I've got double lightning bolt on everyone but Behemoth. It's actually slightly harder to get the lightning bolts (for fast KOs) in 1.1 than in the original release, because the referee's counting ended up being slowed down slightly to accomodate the new voice acting's cadence.

16. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    The openfeint popups on the bottom of the screen are annoying since they go right over the button to punch in the game. Every time someone logs on and I'm fighting, the game has to pause and I have to close Openfeint and then continue.

It'd be so much better if you moved the notifications to the top of the screen.

17. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #77 Stroffolino, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Good idea. While this hasn't happened to me, it's a one line change and I've already applied it in my local build.

P.W. I've got a major new feature in the works for 1.3, that I won't spoil until it's fully baked.

18. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    on sale - 99cents!

Pocket Boxer is on sale for a limited time, to celebrate the release of Kung Fu Challenge, a new survival minigame for hardcore retro arcade fans.

19. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Pocket Boxer 1.2 approved by Apple

The 1.2 update should start trickling out soon. It is a collection of minor changes including:
    - OpenFeint notifications moved to top of screen
    - in-game pause (touch top-right of screen)
    - option to abort a match in progress ("Throw in the Towel"). This comes in handy when gunning for achievements or top scores.
    - option to launch OpenFeint mid-game and not just from splash screen.
    - title defense mode is now available for immediate play

20. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I think it's hard to pinpoint this game to the SNES version of Punchout, primarily because its a mashup of them all. The main character is a dead ringer for the Arcade Version of Punchout for example. I think that one slipped through the cracks since not that many people here are as ancient as myself :\

I'm not complaining, Punchout has a great engine, and if this is the closest I can get to this type of gameplay on a touch device, so be it.

If you plan updates, give Wade Hixon's boxing a gander on the DS for inspiration, it builds upon the punchout engine quite nicely as well.